Sign in to follow this  

F1 2018 – Your Opinion

I wonder if you really play one against real people or maybe they do not exist and you're just playing against the machine
Wrong category I believe. This is about the main F1 game series, not the mobile F1 game.

Driver transfers need to happen. They would add a lot to career mode. You can have the computer put together a star studded lineup that even though the car lacks a bit in power the driver skill suddenly puts the team on a map. On the flipside you can have a weak driver lineup just break an otherwise powerful team. It would also make it funner to try to make bids for winning championships on teams that start weaker if you can lobby to get a strong driver signed onto your team, not to mention the younger test drivers eventually coming in and shaking things up.

It's probably just a matter of negotiating a more favorable license and something that might be possible with Liberty... who knows.

UP100 said:
Chromatic said:

Safety car deployment 0/10  ONLINE never deploys as two bugs within the code contradict each other (one of the main reasons why SC doesn't work) Here's the forum post to prove it   

https://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/comment/315215#Comment_315215

Forum post from F1 2017. Also there is not a single comment that talks about code afaik. You're guessing and misleading people.

I think you'll find your misleading yourself on this. If you scroll up in the forum post I've sent. You will find a detailed explanation from F1support on the issue carried on year on year since 2016  

Chromatic said:
UP100 said:
Chromatic said:

Safety car deployment 0/10  ONLINE never deploys as two bugs within the code contradict each other (one of the main reasons why SC doesn't work) Here's the forum post to prove it   

Forum post from F1 2017. Also there is not a single comment that talks about code afaik. You're guessing and misleading people.

I think you'll find your misleading yourself on this. If you scroll up in the forum post I've sent. You will find a detailed explanation from F1support on the issue carried on year on year since 2016  
i read it. I wasn't able to find any "contradiction in the code" (just a comment about the fix breaking other stuff) and this was back in 2016 and I have seen the safety car in online sessions so many times after that...

UP100 said:
Chromatic said:
UP100 said:
Chromatic said:

i read it. I wasn't able to find any "contradiction in the code" (just a comment about the fix breaking other stuff) and this was back in 2016 and I have seen the safety car in online sessions so many times after that...

Oh really? then do pray tell how it's possible for it to work perfectly just for you. Yet many other people experience a problem with it then?

F.Y.I  It was during development of 2017 that a tweak was applied. That tweak to fix the first bug between 2016/2017 filtered through to 2017 & then 2018 with no fix applied. The fix for 2017 had a knock on effect of creating a second bug (instead of actually fixing it) therefore instead of fixing anything what we have is two bugs contradicting each other with none of his so called solutions actually working at all.   

You're just picking snippets of information to suit yourself without adding anything credible to strengthen your point. 

Chromatic said:
UP100 said:
Chromatic said:
UP100 said:
Chromatic said:

Oh really? then do pray tell how it's possible for it to work perfectly just for you. Yet many other people experience a problem with it then?

F.Y.I  It was during development of 2017 that a tweak was applied. That tweak to fix the first bug between 2016/2017 filtered through to 2017 & then 2018 with no fix applied. The fix for 2017 had a knock on effect of creating a second bug (instead of actually fixing it) therefore instead of fixing anything what we have is two bugs contradicting each other with none of his so called solutions actually working at all.   

You're just picking snippets of information to suit yourself without adding anything credible to strengthen your point. 

So the tweak was applied, but F1 2017 had constant issue of the SC deploying when someone leaves the session... Wait how does this work again? If it hasn't been touched since that day in 2017, why do we then have much less safety car deploying these days? According to F1Support the fix fixed the original issue. There is no "contradiction" if you say no Safety Cars are deployed...

E: Anyways you're becoming way too frustrated for a small conversation, so maybe it's a time to stop?

After more in depth play of 2018. Here is my physics review
I played Raceroom all the time, very realistic physics (although more to be improved)

I compared shanghai circuit in both games, where it features long continuous corners. 

F1 2018 tyre model is not sophisticated, it is like driving on rails here is why
1. When I accelerate via the long continuous corner, lift off and accelerate again, the car turning behaviour does not change. It is like driving on rails. I cannot find the limit of the tyre. The weight transfer of lifting off the throttle and accelerate cannot be easily felt
2. The lateral grip does not lost easily when I turn the corners too fast. What I mean if I turn my steering wheel when the car is too fast, the car should not turn easily. In F1 2018, the car still turns
3. In F12018, I cannot power slide out of a corner (it is little close to drifting)

Although in F12018 physics are much improved, there is still lots of work

As a result, I cannot push the car easily as I have difficulty in finding out the limit of the car

As for my experience, I tracked my car occassionally with semi-slicks and I drove a forumla ford before

Although I do genuinely believe 2018 was the best F1 game we’ve had so far, it’s not without its faults. To me there’s still a few crucial things holding the games back somewhat. 

Positives:
Improved car physics (although still room for further improvements)

better graphics/lighting and improved engine sounds

press interviews (despite getting a little repetitive after a while they definitely helped add a little more immersion to the game). 

Negatives:
Bugs! - formation laps where at least 1-3 drivers get disqualified every single race, as well as ghosting and cars driving through each other at the end of formation. Safety car - had the classic ghosted by the ai and overtaken, something that I thought had been ironed out. Flashbacks triggering safety cars and vsc.

Graphics - really bad aliasing problems distract from the otherwise greatly improved graphics. Few visual bugs here and there - gloves texture spasm when entering/exiting pits in cockpit cam, ambulance randomly changing textures when entering the pits in Canada. 

Cutscenes - these old cutscene animations really have run their course now and are in desperate need of an update. 

While I do appreciate that now teams performances can change from season to season, these games still really suffer from the fact that it feels like you’re pretty much just replaying the same season over and over again.  
I know there’s talk of license restrictions but these games REALLY need to allow ai driver transfers. It’s definitely something that needs to happen at some point and Liberty need to allow Codies to implement it into the games.

Whilst there’s strong speculation that F1 2019 will also feature Formula 2 (something I’m excited at the prospect of - again to add a little more variety and depth to the game), I personally would also love to see pre-season testing in the game between seasons. Not only could it be used as a way of helping find a suitable difficulty level for the player, but you could also have wet weather practicing where the track is artificially sprayed wet.
It could also feature feedback from the R&D guy saying which aspects of the car are weakest and where to focus investing R&D points. Either way it would definitely help feel like there’s more time passing between seasons rather than going straight from Abu Dhabi to Australia at the click of a button. 

Bugs! - formation laps where at least 1-3 drivers get disqualified every single race
Are you talking about AI or online drivers who hit each other during the formation lap?

UP100 said:
Bugs! - formation laps where at least 1-3 drivers get disqualified every single race
Are you talking about AI or online drivers who hit each other during the formation lap?
I predominantly play offline career mode. Every formation lap I’ve had at least 1, 2 or sometimes 3 of the drivers get disqualified before the race starts. As you complete the formation lap you see their cars still sat on the start/finish line :/

UP100 said:
I predominantly play offline career mode. Every formation lap I’ve had at least 1, 2 or sometimes 3 of the drivers get disqualified before the race starts. As you complete the formation lap you see their cars still sat on the start/finish line :/
The AI probably had a very tiny hit at some point of the circuit for one reason or another... I wonder are they too aggressive on formation laps? At least being disqualified in a formation lap means that you will spawn directly to the start line :)

UP100 said:
UP100 said:
The AI probably had a very tiny hit at some point of the circuit for one reason or another... I wonder are they too aggressive on formation laps? At least being disqualified in a formation lap means that you will spawn directly to the start line :)
It’s weird, I’m not too sure if they get going and then hit each other like you say and that’s why they get disqualified. Probably what’s happening.  I do wonder if we’ll get any more patches for F1 2018. Has been a few minor tweaks on the steam branch but progress looks to have almost grinded to a halt. 

stephensmattlee said: progress looks to have almost grinded to a halt. 
Welcome to January on the Codemasters forums.

All thats left now is one more "feeling guilty" patch, full on tease and hype for '19, and the inevitable heat death of the universe.

Must admit I have been playing F1 2018 a lot more this last week or so than I had been in the build up to Christmas. Guessing work is fully underway on F1 2019.
But the question remains... a usual late August release as a stand alone game, ... or as a DLC addon to F1 2018 to allow more development time for next gen consoles? ;)

FRACTURED said:
stephensmattlee said: progress looks to have almost grinded to a halt. 
Welcome to January on the Codemasters forums.

All thats left now is one more "feeling guilty" patch, full on tease and hype for '19, and the inevitable heat death of the universe.
You forget the part where everyone says "I will never buy another game from Codemasters", then the hype period, then half of those people have bought the game...