Sign in to follow this  

car setup between qualy and race

so i haven't had this problem before in 2010-2013. the car setup works well in qualy, but in the race i have so much oversteer. done this in austin and in sao paulo. anyone else have this happen to them? qualified 3rd as Daniel Ricciardo in Sáo Paulo 0.6 behind the mercs.

i have noticed this too but i think i know why. depends on fuel level when starting races. 100% race cars maybe a bit loose (depends on set up) but 25% or less, cars are good (again my opinion depends on set up)  

It depends what Car and game mode. In Career with a Mclaren, I started off using the old 11/1 11/11 style setups from previous games and basically it doesn't work. Car is just too stiff with the front end sliding into corners and the rear sliding on exit. With low fuel in qualy you can nail one lap, but in a race you just can't get the front end turned in on high fuel and the slippy stiff springs mess up any decent consistency over a stint. So I'm simply setting up for the race only by trying setups with high, medium and low fuel until it feels ok, maybe an hours practice/setup work at each track.

I've ended up with all sorts of different settings for different tracks, which is a nice change from previous games. In Germany for example, I'm running something like Aero 4/4, Ride Height 3/3 with spring stiffness 9/6 I think. Keep the rear end softer for more traction.

In the race the first thing you do is burn the rears up off the line. This gives you bad oversteer for the first few corners, so you need to be careful first few corners with throttle to break the cycle of spinning rears and making them even worse. Once they have finally calmed down they now have more wear so you oversteer a bit more than usual for the remainder of the stint. You will prob notice that 2nd set of tyres works much better even though they are usually primes.
I often curse myself for how badly I drove first stint then almost sit back in admiration over how much I've improved - truth is I did all the damage on the first lap. 

In the race the first thing you do is burn the rears up off the line. This gives you bad oversteer for the first few corners, so you need to be careful first few corners with throttle to break the cycle of spinning rears and making them even worse. Once they have finally calmed down they now have more wear so you oversteer a bit more than usual for the remainder of the stint. You will prob notice that 2nd set of tyres works much better even though they are usually primes.
I often curse myself for how badly I drove first stint then almost sit back in admiration over how much I've improved - truth is I did all the damage on the first lap. 
the oversteer continues throughout the entire stint, and into the next set of tyres. the entire race actually.

I did a race only race using the same setup as i did with the oversteer problem and the car handled perfectly. my setups are similar to previous years. 1,1,1,1 for rideheight and springs. 11-11 for bars. all to the left for camber and toe-in. these setups don't actually have the real effect on the car as it would in real life. i've given up trying to do setups properly. CM physics not capable.