Jump to content Jump to content

TYRE RULES

emark182

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere. If so, can someone send me the thread? Last night while I was racing I decided to do long qualifying. I made it to Q3 and qualified 5th or 6th, can't remember. Anyways, I used my Ultrasoft Tyres and they ended up being worn to 30% or so by the end of qualifying. When I started the race, I needed to start on this set of tyres and eventually had to pit by the 3rd lap (I run 25% race). Is this a rule? I thought I read somewhere that if you qualify in the top 10 you need to use the same tyres to start the race with. I didn't know that it was the actual worn tyre and not the same compound. 
Thanks!

Yup it's a rule, If you made the top 10 you'll start the race on the same set you set your fastest time on in Q3 Q2*, not just the same compound. So it's best to always try and avoid doing more than one flying lap on a set, box and change for fresh tyres in between runs.

*edited to correct mistake
Qrazzo said:
Just one thing not right in what you said @Worntoathread. If you make it to Q3, you start on the same tyre as you set your fastest time on in Q2. So not your Q3 tyre, but your Q2 tyre is the tyre you start on if you make it to Q3. I know it is a bit complicated :smile:
Yes, thanks for the correction :) Small mistake but an important difference indeed! 

Archived