Sign in to follow this  

Up the inside - F1 2014

Can Codies please sort it out!

This game would be a great game, not just a good game, if the AI could actually overtake on the inside, instead of braking extremely early and getting stuck on the corner when attempting a move up the inside.

It is infuriating - as it means you cannot battle with the AI.

How hard is it to fix? At the moment it is coded so the AI slow down until they can reach their racing line at the correct speed. Let them have some unrealistic speed - if it means they can defend. Please. Anything...

This is not just the case in this series though. It's been in near on any racing game that's ever been released. There appears to be a very thin line between "Too conservative" and "Too aggressive". They could for example be like they are in F1 Career Challenge on PS2 where they just bowl into a corner demolishing everyone and everything and it's next to impossible for the AI to complete a whole lap without smashing into something. Finding that balance is evidently incredibly difficult to do, especially so on old hardware. I've noticed improvements in Forza 5 for the new gen although that could just be down to their drivatar system.
We shall see when F1-Whatever it's going to be called/2015 releases whether the newer hardware can enable them to finally properly improve the AI in this regard.

RickLopez said:

How hard is it to fix?
In reality, very hard. Programming the AI in any sim-type game is usually the most challenging thing by far, hence why so few driving games (or other sports games for that matter) have nailed it over the past 30 years.

I think in general the AI have improved another step from 2013, but there is one consistent issue where the back markers sit on the apex. I'm sure it's gotten worse from 2013 with the back markers as I don't recall as many issues last year. I have been overtaken impressively round the outside many times in 2014 which is a noticeable improvement.

They need to programme an 'alternate driving line' for the AI. Whereby when an AI car is on the inside of another car going into a corner, it recognises it is on the 'alternate line' and assigns itself a deeper braking point and sharper exit angle when it has slowed down enough. (See Rosberg's deep overtake on Vettel at the 2014 Chinese GP for a similar example).
I agree with RickLopez here that the AI currently seems to slow down early to reach the correct speed in order to navigate the corner on the normal racing line.

They need to programme an 'alternate driving line' for the AI. Whereby when an AI car is on the inside of another car going into a corner, it recognises it is on the 'alternate line' and assigns itself a deeper braking point and sharper exit angle when it has slowed down enough. (See Rosberg's deep overtake on Vettel at the 2014 Chinese GP for a similar example).
I agree with RickLopez here that the AI currently seems to slow down early to reach the correct speed in order to navigate the corner on the normal racing line.
Nice idea!