Sign in to follow this  

Difficulty

Hi 

I'm really enjoying 2014 but I have the same issue with difficulty settings as the other F1 games.

For practice and qualifying I use legend difficulty and consistently get into the top 3 if not pole. However in the race I just get mugged back down between 7th - 10th and spend the whole race defending from cars behind. So for 2014 I've been dropping the difficulty down to expert for the race which is a much better pace for me. The thing is, I don't mind not winning, i'd rather qualify 8th - 10th and battle for a higher position instead of starting at the top and my final place determined by the number of cars i can block during the race. 

Best races for me are when qualifying in the wet as its impossible to get into top 10 on legend then battle my way back in a dry race.

I was wandering if this is just me or if anyone else has this issue.

current set up: xbox wheel, no assists, Mclaren, rarely bother with car setups any more, just drive it as it comes.

Thanks

I also miss some balance between tracks. I am killing the ai at singapore and abu dhabi and monaco eg but nowhere near at Melbourne and Malaysia for example. And i am playing legend ai and McLaren and am well experienced at racing Games :) 

I used to start from 8-14 but in first lap i go up to 5-6 or more and manage to keep in front of them :)

Its funny how this year there is such a imbalance between tracks and I belive it is all down to how much grip the player has on a given track. Ones like monaco, austria, canada are easy to match them but tracks with med speed traction zones like aus, china, spain are almost impossible unless you are top 50 leaderboard (TT) I drove my first season and the first few races (exept bahrain) I didnt even get a top 10 but at monty I went on a 5 race winning streak :) and wasnt holding anyone up either. As the season goes on the car gets better and the tracks even things out so either skip the races you are struggling with or drop to expert and take some easy wins :( If you need to pit for full wets at any point put it in the wall as there no way to match them in a race with full wets! Id agree that there times are very close (if not better) than quali sometimes but ive been able to do this myself on tracks im good on so guess they dont have unfair advantage there even if it should be alot slower times in the race.  

vtidixon said:
Its funny how this year there is such a imbalance between tracks and I belive it is all down to how much grip the player has on a given track. Ones like monaco, austria, canada are easy to match them but tracks with med speed traction zones like aus, china, spain are almost impossible unless you are top 50 leaderboard (TT) I drove my first season and the first few races (exept bahrain) I didnt even get a top 10 but at monty I went on a 5 race winning streak :) and wasnt holding anyone up either. As the season goes on the car gets better and the tracks even things out so either skip the races you are struggling with or drop to expert and take some easy wins :( If you need to pit for full wets at any point put it in the wall as there no way to match them in a race with full wets! Id agree that there times are very close (if not better) than quali sometimes but ive been able to do this myself on tracks im good on so guess they dont have unfair advantage there even if it should be alot slower times in the race.  
I've found the same thing, certain tracks I am very fast at and others I just have to hope to hold the train behind me, and it's pretty much the tracks you mentioned.  I'm only half way through my first season in GP mode on legend, with no assists and a wheel, I feel like I'm getting a better feel for the car and maybe next season I can do better at Australia and a few others.  The qualifying versus race pace is frustrating, I got pole at Austria by over a second and then come the race I had to hold 3 cars back basically the whole race, I had the third or fourth fastest lap time in the race about half a second slower than the fastest lap. 

I've turned off weather so I can get a good feel for every track, when it rains its impossible to keep up with the AI in certain conditions.  I had done a race at Montreal with dynamic weather and I set the difficulty to expert cause I knew I can't compete with the AI in the rain on legend.  It started dry and I was about a second faster than everyone charging through the field, then when the rain came I had no grip and was sliding all over, my lap times were about 5 seconds slower, meanwhile the AI is still putting out basically the same times as when it was dry.  CM has never been able to figure out wet weather AI, it seems like it gets worse every year. 

I haven't yet tried this in the latest version, but in F1 2013 I found AI cars were reacting exactly as you've said.  In rain on every track it seemed the AI times stayed pretty much the same as when they're dry, where I of course found myself slipping all over the grasslands!  I finally decided that to have a competitive and more honest race I had to turn the weather off as well.  I haven't tried running under wet conditions in the 2014 version but I'd bet it'll most likely be the same.

I'll agree the AI has much too great a traction advantage in the wet races, especially on full wets.

IMHO, there are mods that do a fine job of leveling the playing field a bit, making the AI a lot more error prone and more aggressive when overtaking (they'll try different moves and won't back out so easily, sometimes causing them to go off track or just lose positions), which definitely shows on a track like Monaco, in a wet race.

I did a 100% race on Monaco last week, in which no less than 12 cars retired. There was a rainshower mid race, and I didn't feel I was being outraced during this time.

That said, if the community is able to rectify something like this to "easily", you have to wonder why CM haven't done so already.

It's something which has been a problem in F1 games for a long time,even in Sony's F1 games. The AI will be a lot harder at some tracks than others, so it's not easy to tell how good you really are at a track. It's so frustrating, it brings the immersion and enjoyment down for me. Knowing that, on the same difficulty level, the opposition can be impossible at Silverstone but easy in Malaysia is a real downer.

I'd love if it there were concrete reasons for this. There must be as Sony's F1 games had the exact same problem.