Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VR support in Dirt Rally 2 ?

AIPacino said:
Why don't you start a Kickstarter then for VR in DR2.0 if you're so interested. Better than faking change.org votes. Meet a reasonable goal of money and we'll see how much of you VRer's are willing to pay for it. Like it's been said countless times, it's not a cheap addition and it takes work. It's not about adding one or two lines of code.

Money has always spoke higher, so make your interest real and start making a money pool. Kickstarter money only gets unlocked once the corresponding dev has attained a goal, so regarding security that's ok.
haha. Start a kickstarter with others peoples game and trademark.... But most of us are willing to buy a vr dlc+the game itself. We dont get the game for free if they ad vr. But this will set a bad example. For next time they can make a triple screen dlc,ultrawide dlc and a 4k dlc. New tecnolygy should be embrased. That why we are were we are today. 

New technology should be embraced, depending on cost-return. Concorde brought supersonic flights in the late 60s, do you see any Concordes now? No, because they aren't cost efficient to run and there's problems that even NASA is still trying to overcome. Otherwise, we'd be doing supersonic all the way today.
VR is expensive, it's a niche market and has its own problems as well. It's not just about embracing it, it needs to work and have an investment return, so if you end up having VR in the DLC you're lucky.
Now all this constant whining here and on Steam is getting pathetic and annoying, while we should be spending more time discussing other features of the game that are equally or even more important for launch.

versedi said:
Guys, it's starting to be pathetic.

You are the most whiny, babycrying customers I've ever seen.

Not to mention, stop creating multi accounts and even be proud of it - whoever is commeting all over internet that he's creating lots of accounts just to spam it.

I'm really surprised how egoistical VR owners are.

Yep, the multiple account thing just means that Codemasters can cut the "demand" they summarize to one third. It's just contra productive.

There are some of you demanders that are acting so extremely stupid out there(steam forum) that I almost wish VR never gets implemented at all. Just because.

versedi said:
Guys, it's starting to be pathetic.

You are the most whiny, babycrying customers I've ever seen.

Not to mention, stop creating multi accounts and even be proud of it - whoever is commeting all over internet that he's creating lots of accounts just to spam it.

I'm really surprised how egoistical VR owners are.
Unfortunately there will always be "overly passionate" fanboys of every technology. Playstation/Xbox, Android/Apple, it won't ever stop.

I am an advocate for VR especially in sim games like racers, flight sims etc but I will never act like some of these entitled people here so please don't generalise all of us. A lot of fanboys have this self inflicted tunnel vision which they refuse to get out of and are the equivalent of putting your hands over your ears and going "LALALA CAN'T HEAR YOUUUU". The best we can all do is sensibly submit our feedback regarding VR rather than shout and scream and the whole #novrnobuy BS. Absolutely show your passionate side but do it in a controlled, mature manner.

People who aren't into VR need to stop wading in as well as it doesn't affect them whether its in or not and yes, the multi-account thing is ridiculous and probably a forum rule violation.

Its not like it impossible to implement. They did it in dirt rally and almost every other sim racer on pc has it. And if you want to discuss other features then dont go to the vr  support thred. And if they have vr and it becomes mutch better and cheper  in a couple of years they can still sell dirt rally 2. Many new vr owner  buy dirt rally now. And this IS the most important feature for many of us. Its a buy, no buy feature.

Asseto corsa cometizione is now in early accses and they are implementing vr in there second updatet, before multiplayer. There was a huge demand for vr after asseto corsas half baked sulution, so they lised to there fanbase. Kudos to Kunos :)
https://www.assettocorsa.net/competizione/roadmap/

kellemann said:
Asseto corsa cometizione is now in early accses and they are implementing vr in there second updatet, before multiplayer. There was a huge demand for vr after asseto corsas half baked sulution, so they lised to there fanbase. Kudos to Kunos :)
I wouldn't call it half baked, while it seemed to be in constant Beta phase it is very good and nicely customisable.

kellemann said:
I wouldn't call it half baked, while it seemed to be in constant Beta phase it is very good and nicely customisable.
Last time i tried it youd have to use a normal screen for the menus, and that was kinda hard when you dont have a screen on your rig. You could use virtual desktop but i find that a little clumsy.

kellemann said:
Its not like it impossible to implement. They did it in dirt rally and almost every other sim racer on pc has it. And if you want to discuss other features then dont go to the vr  support thred. And if they have vr and it becomes mutch better and cheper  in a couple of years they can still sell dirt rally 2. Many new vr owner  buy dirt rally now. And this IS the most important feature for many of us. Its a buy, no buy feature.
Of course it's not impossible. No one is trying to make that argument. What people are trying to say is, at this point in time, with release less than 5 months away, it's too late to implement something as complex as VR, in that amount of time, without compromises being made that will affect the quality of the project as a whole, both the regular game and VR. For VR to be properly implemented, it would have had to be included in the development timeline from the start, which it wasn't. Our best hope now, is that Codemasters takes things one at a time and does each one properly.
I believe that the more options players have to play the game, the better. So I'm not saying that I don't want VR ever. I want things to come when they're ready and done right. I think everyone would agree to have VR at a later date, but running well and full-featured, than having it early and buggy.
I'll just leave here a quote here from Mr Shigeru Miyamoto, one the best video-game designers of all time: "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." And this quote applies to any piece of software, or even a feature of a piece of software.

If they come foreward now and say they will add vr at a later date, then its all good. No problem.Dont need it on realease. But i will ofcourse not buy it before its in.  But they havent done that, and if people dont complain they never will. Like dirt 4 and f1.

All I will add is if Kunos were making Dirt Rally 2.0 or even Dirt 4 it would have VR implemented like they have with ACC at the start or as a DLC later.

#NoVrNoBuy simple as that codemasters 

Garry50 said:
All I will add is if Kunos were making Dirt Rally 2.0 or even Dirt 4 it would have VR implemented like they have with ACC at the start or as a DLC later.

Your money, your choice.
The thing is though, Kunos planned VR development from the start, so resources were allocated accordingly. Codemasters did not. Whether that was a right decision, we'll see. I'm sure Codemasters researched the market and they have the right to build and prioritize what they believe will sell best, as much of a right as you have to say that you're not interested in what they have to offer. Free market and all.

Garry50 said:

Your money, your choice.
The thing is though, Kunos planned VR development from the start, so resources were allocated accordingly. Codemasters did not. Whether that was a right decision, we'll see. I'm sure Codemasters researched the market and they have the right to build and prioritize what they believe will sell best, as much of a right as you have to say that you're not interested in what they have to offer. Free market and all.
That true. But if you look at the sales of dirt 4 and onrush, developers can misjudge its fanbase.
Just look at this video here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVLPO6A5Hx0
3.5 millions potensial buyers have looked at that video. That free pr for you :)

kellemann said:
Garry50 said:

Your money, your choice.
That true. But if you look at the sales of dirt 4 and onrush, developers can misjudge its fanbase.
Just look at this video here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVLPO6A5Hx0
3.5 millions potensial buyers have looked at that video. That free pr for you :)
Huge emphasis on 'potential', because views on a YouTube video are not a good metric to use at all.
You don't need to watch the whole thing to count as a view, just watching part or segments is enough.  Repeated views from the same person count as well (up to 5 a day). Views from the same person but another account, or IP address, also count. Embedded video auto-play, in another website, for over 30 seconds, even if the sound is not on, also counts. So yeah, not a very trustworthy metric. Just saying.

I only tried out racing in VR for less than a month before I decided to return the headset for a refund, it made me sick and I wasn't a fan of the narrow field of view.  However, if they don't implement VR in dirt rally 2 that will be a sign to me that they aren't taking this game seriously.  So, I won't bother preordering it until at least VR is a confirmed feature, even if I won't be using it myself.  This is the game the fans of DR1 have been waiting for, are Dirt 4 didn't satisfy that need.  DR2 needs to be the proper successor of DR1 so no VR would seem like they're cutting corners...

Also considering a lot of DR1's popularity is actually due to it being a VR game, that's how I found out about the series in the first place, it has been presented as one of those must try VR experiences.  It most likely wouldn't even have been as successful as it was without VR.  I bought it to try out with the Oculus when I had it.  Returned the Oculus, kept the game, but I doubt I would have bought it otherwise.

lilfurbal said:
a lot of DR1's popularity is actually due to it being a VR game
Wrong. The game was already successful before VR was added, over a year after the games official launch.

lilfurbal said:
It most likely wouldn't even have been as successful as it was without VR.
You've got that backwards. DiRT Rally was successful before VR was added. DiRT Rally was used as a platform to promote VR, not the other way round. The day we went to Codies HQ to try out D4 they surprised us with another announcement, they asked us to test VR for DiRT Rally as well. The people you see playing it in the VR launch video are all beta testers from this forum.

Thinking about it, it could be argued that as DiRT Rally VR and DiRT 4 were being worked on at the same time, the time spent working on VR harmed DiRT 4's development, and this could be one of the reasons they haven't included it for this games launch.

Dirt Rally had VR support quite early, I can't remember when exactly, but if I remember correctly, it was even before Finland was added, Oculus CV1 release was months away. So it wasn't clearly nothing to do with implementing VR to DR and Dirt4 development, at least not that much. 

lilfurbal said:
Wrong. The game was already successful before VR was added, over a year after the games official launch.

This is not true. Dirt rally early acsess had vr support from day 1(dk2),the official realsease was 11. july . 6 month after realease.

DiRT Rally was released on Steam April 2015, VR on Steam was released July 2016.

DiRT Rally  on consoles was released April 2016, VR on PS4 was released Feb 2017.

PSVR was developed at the same time as DiRT 4

kellemann said:
lilfurbal said:

This is not true. Dirt rally early acsess had vr support from day 1(dk2),the official realsease was 11. july . 6 month after realease.
A peripheral is already out, therefore every software out there must support it... That doesn't make sense. Also, no, DiRT Rally did not have VR on early access. I know because I was there, following the updates, practically from the day of the first release. VR was developed afterwards.

DiRT Rally was released on Steam April 2015, VR on Steam was released July 2016.

DiRT Rally  on consoles was released April 2016, VR on PS4 was released Feb 2017.

PSVR was developed at the same time as DiRT 4
Dirt went early acsess april 2015, released december 2015.

kellemann said:
lilfurbal said:

A peripheral is already out, therefore every software out there must support it... That doesn't make sense. Also, no, DiRT Rally did not have VR on early access. I know because I was there, following the updates, practically from the day of the first release. VR was developed afterwards.
This is a discussion how vr is in dirt on april 2015. https://steamcommunity.com/app/310560/discussions/0/611704730329565803/?l=french

kellemann said:
kellemann said:
lilfurbal said:

This is a discussion how vr is in dirt on april 2015. https://steamcommunity.com/app/310560/discussions/0/611704730329565803/?l=french
And there is a person saying there is no "official" support (like with GRID: Autosport)

Official support came later, thats true, but it was WORKING before, that means most of the development was done long before the official release and from day1 it was working perfectly.

UP100 said:
kellemann said:
kellemann said:
lilfurbal said:

And there is a person saying there is no "official" support (like with GRID: Autosport)
I allredy writen in a earlier post that the offocial release was july 2016. But it was working from day 1 in early accses.