F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VR support in Dirt Rally 2 ?

Ney guy here, apparently there's someone calling people out regarding
there's nothing to call out... We already know VR isn't there for release because that's what they've said...

I’m new to Dirt Rally series. Yesterday I bought  Dirt Rally from Oculus store ”love it” and came here to check if DR 2 would support VR. 

You would not understand why people here are requesting VR unit you played it in VR mode. It is unbelievable!! I will never go back to flat screen ever....

I’m all for crowd funding to get this feature implemented.

bLuNtwAcO said:
You would not understand why people here are requesting VR unit you played it in VR mode. It is unbelievable!! I will never go back to flat screen ever....
I have and do play it, Whilst I would like it implemented for Dirt Rally 2.0 I understand it not being available for release based on the type of systems so far required to run it.

Well for me I will move along. I just thought of placing my voice here to support the VR community. I have DR and ACC being in early access would keep me busy for a while.

I didn't purchase dirt 4 because of no VR support, then It turns out the game is pretty bad anyways, so good dodge there!! would prob still buy tho if it had VR support. Doesn't look like this game is gonna support it either, they have had plenty of time to say fuc.k it yes we will add it.  not gonna buy this without it, it can go where the F1 games belong, still  at the store

I think what is really being missed by a lot of people getting upset when there are complaints about the lack of VR support is that they think VR is optional for people with it. For a lot of people, no VR means they physically cannot play the game. Full stop. Their rigs were designed with VR in mind and they don't want to go drop $200 on a new monitor stand and another $500+ on a decent monitor when they already have well over $1,000 invested in their current rig. I've been on the fence pulling the trigger on my new 80/20 build for this exact reason. I have $1,100 in a side account exclusively for doing a full 80/20 rig upgrade, OMP seat, analogue handbrake, and finally going full VR - I can't do that anymore until I figure out what the hell is happening with DR2. If they don't support VR I'm going to need to scrounge together at least $1,800 total just to get video support on this rig for a single game, when in every single other application I would rather be using VR.

The kind of people who are willing to support CM and DR2.0 for the longhaul are the kind who are willing to normally invest in racing gear too. Supporting wheels, FFB, and VR is supporting CM's core playerbase - the real fans who don't drop the game after the first month or two for the next hot thing. Shafting those players will result in exactly what happened with D4; a few months later and Dirt Rally was back to posting double the average playercount of Dirt 4. 

$1,000 invested in their current rig.  
What of those who haven't or are unable to spend half that much even on the PC or console they're going to power the game with, let alone the steering wheel, experiences which could be negatively affected by a lack of mid-range hardware optimization? Considering a 1070Ti cannot do Dirt Rally VR at maximum settings and Dirt Rally 2.0's minimum graphics hardware requirements are already increased, What sort of graphics hardware do you expect to be necessary for it to run with VR? RTX20XX?

For a lot of people, no VR means they physically cannot play the game. Full stop. Their rigs were designed with VR in mind
As I've mentioned before, that's your own damn fault for being a VR extremist.

nbates66 said:

experiences which could be negatively affected by a lack of mid-range hardware optimization? Considering a 1070Ti cannot do Dirt Rally VR at maximum settings and Dirt Rally 2.0's minimum graphics hardware requirements are already increased, What sort of graphics hardware do you expect to be necessary for it to run with VR? RTX20XX?
Supporting VR doesn't mean optimizations won't happen... That is a terrible argument. Those mid-ranged optimizations are an absolute core to game design, that is where the majority of players will fall so they will optimize that no matter what. Especially if you consider consoles in the mix, it's a given.

As for the graphics hardware... I think you are seriously overestimating the performance power needed. I've ran the Rift on a 670FTW with the settings cranked down - easily held 60+ FPS. If you have anything reasonably current you'll be able to run the VR with good settings. No, it won't be maxed out with SS and the works; but it'll look damn good and hold strong FPS. It really isn't as taxing as people make it out to be when you make some common sense gfx tweaks.

afahoy said:
For a lot of people, no VR means they physically cannot play the game. Full stop. Their rigs were designed with VR in mind
As I've mentioned before, that's your own damn fault for being a VR extremist.
VR extremist? How about a sim racing enthusiast who built a rig to enhance their racing experience? And in that build you had to make a decision - spend nearly $1000 to attach a quality mount + monitor, or spend $500 on a VR setup. It's like it was almost obvious what most people would do...

Supporting VR doesn't mean optimizations won't happen... That is a terrible argument. Those mid-ranged optimizations are an absolute core to game design, that is where the majority of players will fall so they will optimize that no matter what. Especially if you consider consoles in the mix, it's a given.
Mid-Ranged optimizations are still an element of work that needs to be done, Codemasters can't just say "VR LET IT BE SO!!" and have an extra bunch of minions spawn to do their bidding for the VR implementation.
Especially if you consider consoles in the mix, it's a given.
Perhaps you've never heard of a "crappy console port"? Though I don't think I've had to use that label on a Codemasters game yet. Development work on console hardware doesn't just make optimizations for mid-ranged PC"s *done*.

As for the graphics hardware... I think you are seriously overestimating the performance power needed. I've ran the Rift on a 670FTW with the settings cranked down - easily held 60+ FPS. If you have anything reasonably current you'll be able to run the VR with good settings. No, it won't be maxed out with SS and the works; but it'll look damn good and hold strong FPS. It really isn't as taxing as people make it out to be when you make some common sense gfx tweaks.
Firstly, if you haven't read my earlier posts I believe the original oculus Rift and Vive resolutions are kinda trash so it's not a good starting point to begin with, holding just 60+ FPS on a VR headset sounds like a great way to make somebody sick when they try to run Finland. As for turning settings down, yes one can do that (I had to a week ago to do Finland) but it honestly looks somewhat rubbish and who the heck wants to play Dirt Rally with crowds turned off?

I've read some of the comments in here and got what I did from most videos on YouTube. Here are some of my thoughts:

1. First of all, I never played DR on VR but already used PSVR for other games. It's cool and stuff but it's heavy and gets me dizzing after like 10 minutes. Can't picture myself using it for at least 1 hour
2. DR had VR because Oculus paid CM. That's not a boomer, it's just propaganda. They add their flagship product to a fairly well designed game and top sales. Welcome to capitalism
3. VR support for DR was fairly good but kinda messy. True flawless development would take a lot of resources
4. Players giving up their monitor screens to focus solely on VR was their decision, not CM's
5. You can ask for VR all you want and that right was given by CM. Don't expect it to come at launch or after it, but you can ask anyways, so keep doing it if you believe it'll make a change, because it can
6. Of all players on Steam, only 2% have used a VR set at least once. People can play games outside Steam, but these statistics are real and do matter
7. Lack of VR will have minimum impact on the company's image. That's just how it works

I don't have a VR set. I have a job and still can't afford one because they're too expensive in here. Rigs and steering wheels included, not even my PC is good enough but I still enjoy playing DR on it even on low settings. Why? Because I love rallying and because the game is good, VR or not. I won't judge people who want VR that badly, but they are missing the point in here. We have a new, good game coming out next year and a few of you can't see the bright side because you don't have a monitor anymore.

So, my conclusion is simple. Ask for VR if you want it, buy the game if you don't care. CM has my pre-order on Steam and I'll enjoy it a lot when it comes out.

Don't agree with pount 4. There comes a time your equipment is serious outdated and you have to make a choice between VR and monitor(s). That is not the same as giving up your monitor.

For gaming VR is the future and codemasters not willing to invest in the future, not surprising a part of their customers and fanbase don't agree.

Don't agree with pount 4. There comes a time your equipment is serious outdated and you have to make a choice between VR and monitor(s). That is not the same as giving up your monitor.

For gaming VR is the future and codemasters not willing to invest in the future, not surprising a part of their customers and fanbase don't agree.
So what you mean is that companies came to common players' houses and threatened them, forcing everyone to throw away their monitor devices and get these replaced by VR sets?

People upgrade their desktops because they want to and can afford it. They could as well just don't buy the game even if it has VR, simple like that. Why should CM bother? If you see that as "going backwards", it'll not even tickle them. It's their intellectual property after all.

It might be their property, it is also their future. We are their future ☺
"We are their future"

Indeed we give money, they get to live. Either way, it's not like they would miss us anyway. It's not like customers are gods or something like that. If they want to please us, they will do so. If someone is unpleased, it won't make a difference to them.

Great post @DreamyGhostZ. Agree with all of it. Particularly point 4. It was solely that users choice to ditch their monitors in favour of a VR only headset, which is a pretty silly thing to do when the market is still so niche! 

Great post @DreamyGhostZ. Agree with all of it. Particularly point 4. It was solely that users choice to ditch their monitors in favour of a VR only headset, which is a pretty silly thing to do when the market is still so niche! 
Indeed. VR is an innovative and actually pretty cool concept, but its range is far from being wide, reaching only a small portion of players who can really afford it. I'd have one if starter sets were priced below a brand new console.

Niche? For general gaming sure, but are you really going to try and say VR is a niche thing in SIM racing? What other major simulation title doesn't support VR? AC? PCars2? iRacing? rFactor2? 

Literally any racing game that wants to consider itself even remotely sim-like will need to support VR. It's a standard in the racing and simulation genre, anything less is just being lazy and cutting corners.

And when you are putting together a setup to mount your wheel and pedals on, you literally have to make a choice. It's between buying mounts+new monitors for the rig, or dor it for a fraction of the price and upgrade to VR since any reasonable racing sim will support it in the future.

It's not like we want to leave our monitors in another room attached to a different rig, but we literally had no other reasonable choice in this design. If I had an easy way to reuse my Ultrawide on the rig, I would, but there is just literally no way to reasonably make that happen. 

Niche? For general gaming sure, but are you really going to try and say VR is a niche thing in SIM racing? What other major simulation title doesn't support VR? AC? PCars2? iRacing? rFactor2? 

Literally any racing game that wants to consider itself even remotely sim-like will need to support VR. It's a standard in the racing and simulation genre, anything less is just being lazy and cutting corners.

And when you are putting together a setup to mount your wheel and pedals on, you literally have to make a choice. It's between buying mounts+new monitors for the rig, or dor it for a fraction of the price and upgrade to VR since any reasonable racing sim will support it in the future.

It's not like we want to leave our monitors in another room attached to a different rig, but we literally had no other reasonable choice in this design. If I had an easy way to reuse my Ultrawide on the rig, I would, but there is just literally no way to reasonably make that happen. 
I think you don't quite understand what "niche" is. Niche means small market segment and it's very specific. Niche isn't wide and numbers prove that. If something is niche, it means it's still being improved, while price tags receive some attention, in order to attract a larger public and make the product available to wider groups of people.

Simulation racing games do pay special attention to VR indeed, but it's not necessary and it never was, because it's not an feasible alternative to monitors, since most players still can't throw 600 bucks on a piece of hardware that will work with very few games. And yes, I know there's a growing list of VR games, but it's still not large.

If you can buy a VR set, then this should be awesome for you. For me, it's unachievable at this moment, so it isn't mandatory. Respecting every player is important. If you keep commenting stuff like "real simulation players need VR", it'll feel more like discrimination than a constructive suggestion for everyone in the forums and at CM.

Just remember: VR enhances the experience, but it's expensive so it's far from being essential. SMS and Kudos developed VR-ready games because they can and because they wanted. There's no reason to keep comparing games over and over, we already know it.

Yeah right... look at anything niche and it will be far more expensive as the standard product. The price is what makes it niche.

So VR is not niche not at all. It is just a more modern way to let you see the game for a better price.

DreamyGhostZ said:
I never said VR is for real sim players, but that VR is a basic requirement for any real simulation game that wants to take itself serious. I get people are on every side of this coin, but people just straight up discounting VR support as us whining or that it doesn't matter and is "our fault we built a racing rig so screw us amirite" doesn't make everyone else feel all too welcomed either.

Dirt Rally 2.0 is being touted as a super authentic racing experience, with great attention to detail. People are complaining VR is a small niche, but you know what's an even smaller niche - motion simulation. Guess what DR2.0 supports and has already shown in the codriver videos? Motion support.

So the "niche" argument is completely thrown out. I understand the basis of the argument, but it's an empty argument the second we consider motion support is supported.

As for the $600, that is just completely false. You can do acceptable VR for <$200, good VR for <$350, and great VR for $500+. So VR is even more accessible than most wheels & pedals people buy.

I understand it isn't just some switch that can be flipped and boom, VR is magically there. But if you want to have any respect in the simulation racing community you need to be actively pushing the greatest tech enhancements for your genre.

DreamyGhostZ said:
I never said VR is for real sim players, but that VR is a basic requirement for any real simulation game that wants to take itself serious. I get people are on every side of this coin, but people just straight up discounting VR support as us whining or that it doesn't matter and is "our fault we built a racing rig so screw us amirite" doesn't make everyone else feel all too welcomed either.

Dirt Rally 2.0 is being touted as a super authentic racing experience, with great attention to detail. People are complaining VR is a small niche, but you know what's an even smaller niche - motion simulation. Guess what DR2.0 supports and has already shown in the codriver videos? Motion support.

So the "niche" argument is completely thrown out. I understand the basis of the argument, but it's an empty argument the second we consider motion support is supported.

As for the $600, that is just completely false. You can do acceptable VR for <$200, good VR for <$350, and great VR for $500+. So VR is even more accessible than most wheels & pedals people buy.

I understand it isn't just some switch that can be flipped and boom, VR is magically there. But if you want to have any respect in the simulation racing community you need to be actively pushing the greatest tech enhancements for your genre.
I dare to say that motion support requires far less development time than VR. It was basically there all along. 

DreamyGhostZ said:

Hmmm does it mean that WR holders don't have any respect if they beat your times playing with just a controller/steering wheel and without VR. Interesting argument indeed, will take this note beyond when replying to you.

I don't know about you, but 200 bucks is quite a lot of money. You can buy a PS4 for 200 nowadays, brand new. Also, you must consider that the VR set must include a better graphics card on the list, since most players who go full VR usually don't have a powerful enough machine.

The question here is you're criticizing non-VR sim players and that's not right. People like me don't push VR away, we're just concerned with more crucial matters. I don't care about VR, but labeling me as a someone who don't deserve respect is kinda lame. We must respect everyone as players and I'm respecting you just as everybody else in this forum. I guess it's one-sided after all, but you can judge me as you desire.

Damn, 18 pages all about VR in this thread alone.
Last time I checked, Codemasters said that we could only expect VR support sometime in the future, if ever. So what's wrong with that? It makes sense for them to, for now, completely focus on the main aspects of the game. Hell, they even already have their content roadmap laid out. In my opinion, that's the only right way to do it, because that's the stuff every single player gets to see when they play the game, no matter if they are using VR or not. Why put so many resources into something only a minority of players can actually use, and possibly make the game worse for the other 90 percent? VR can really only be considered after the game has been released with the entirety of its features.