Jump to content Jump to content

VR support in Dirt Rally 2 ?

MongoJon [VR]

VR is not the big deal you make it to be. 

Spoken by someone who clearly doesn't race in VR, for those who have VR it is that big a deal. 
The majority of VR users won't go back to screens because it's not as immersive, then there are VR users that don't even have a screen in front of their wheel anymore meaning absolutely no chance of playing it. 

VR is a big deal if you've got VR! 

Spoken by someone who clearly doesn't race in VR, for those who have VR it is that big a deal. 
The majority of VR users won't go back to screens because it's not as immersive, then there are VR users that don't even have a screen in front of their wheel anymore meaning absolutely no chance of playing it. 

No it's not, and market agrees with me. 
Rally simulator is a big deal, and that's what 99% of people here are for.
SamRWD said:

No it's not, and market agrees with me. 
Rally simulator is a big deal, and that's what 99% of people here are for.
Wow why so buthurt against VR, especially if you claim that your after a proper sim? You think the rest of us aren't? Why the hell do you think we were ever playing DR1 for hunders/thousands of hours? Becouse of the pretty colors? Please. I dont know your history with VR but if it was a shitty experience for you dont crap on it for the rest of us. Yes handling models etc are extremely important and iam very thankful for your inputs in that regard for the development but please dont pretend like your passion for sim racing/rallying is that far apart from the rest of us.

You earlier made a point about how many rally sims are out there and thats EXACTLY why we are so vocal/upset about the absence of VR in this one: There just are no options. DR1 is played to death, remembering every inch of road is not rally anymore. Only other choice is to go back to RBR and while a good driving experience, is really starting to show its age with sounds/graphics/crashing etc. So thats why we are so upset about the lack of VR in DR2, please try to understand that. We really really really want new content, better driving physics etc. Were also willing to pay more for it. But if theres no VR theres 0 point in it. Try grabbing your monitor and sticking it in front of your real cars dash. Now would you really drive the car from the monitor(would you ever?), instead of looking out the window? Thats the difference for us and iam having a really hard time understanding why non VR people dont get that. Almost feels like the perception is that were all just some rich spoiled kids riding the tech wave mesmerized by VR and with 0 real interest in sim racing/rallying, which is far from the thruth.

We all just want DR2 to be the best damn rally sim that it can be that all of us can enojy/compete on. We dont want content exclusively made for us, we just want to be able to play the game some of us have waited years for. Thats all.
SamRWD said:
"If there is ENORMOUS demand for it, then we can do it; it is NO SMALL undertaking".
So, looks like we will get a good, refined game with a lot of content while VR is not likely to come after all :)
Yeah, sadly it would appear we won't get another DiRT game with VR. I've all but given up on Codemasters after that. 
Hope for the sake of everyone else they make a good game, but I clearly won't ever be playing it.
You are not willing to buy realistic rally sim, you want a VR experience. You were never a part of community. This game was not aimed at you to begin with.

EDIT: ROTFL just checker reddit, basically kids rolling on the flor crying, offending Ross, spreading lies about motion platform development...
Even our own mtojay is in that club. This is another reason why VR is a wrong idea- those kids will be first to complain that handling is too difficult. 
if you really think i am a kid i am sry for you. at what age does one stop being a kid. i admit in some ways i still have a kid in me but i am 31 and i take my simracing hobby really serious. you may think we dont want a realistic experience, but the honest truth is that its the exact opposite.  i dont know what really made you think we would want a vr experience. tahts simply not true. i love simracing, and exclusively sims. i am an avid iracer, i spent every hour i can find besides work and the stuff that happens in life in order to improve my racing, my times or my rig.

just to give you an idea, this is my rig in its current state. nobody that doesnt take simracing seriously or is only in it for a vr experience would invest that kind of money and time in his hobby. this is not about the fact that i want a vr experience. this is about the simple fact that i and many others dont enjoy any kind of simracing without vr anymore.

if you think you deserve more because you are longer in this community or post more in this community then you are wrong again. every paying customer deserves this game the same as you. the whole simracing community loved dirt rally for all its aspects. great level design, great handling, great car selection, great community and great vr. all that played a part in its success.

i hope you enjoy the game when it is out. i hope i can enjoy it to. for me that means it needs vr support. if it gets in the end i dont know. but i wont buy it if it does not because i wouldnt play it anyway.

i dont enjoy simracing titles through a 2d window anymore. before i go back to any simracing game through a static 2d window i would rather keep playing the games i have. and while you think that the consumer base of vr owners isnt big enough, the truth is that by now 90% of all realistic racing sims support it. its the arcade titles that dont support it. you know why? because the simracing community cares about it while the arcade community doesnt.
SamRWD said:
kellemann said:
SamRWD said:
Dirt Rally 2 is a sim. If you want to use a controller, play Dirt 4, or turn all assists on and hope you can keep up with slowest people who drive with steering wheel.
Yes, its a sim. And what other driving sim on pc does not include vr?
Dirt 4. 
EDIT: and F1 2018. Not sure how is it relevant though.
How many rally simulators do we have on the market BTW?
I see a pattern here. Codemaster games. Well, the 2 big ones on this forum are dirt rally and dirt 4. One sold really well and had vr, the other bombed and did not have vr. I have bouth dirt rally on xbox just to support codemaster brilliant work on that game, even thou i haven even started it on the xbox. Dirt 4 dident even temt me at 75% off.
I will not answer to whole post, because of the way you started it:
looperi said:
Wow why so buthurt against VR, especially if you claim that your after a proper sim? You think the rest of us aren't? Why the hell do you think we were ever playing DR1 for hunders/thousands of hours? Becouse of the pretty colors?

I am supporting a development of a rally sim. VR meme 1% is supporting getting a VR title. If that was not the case there wouldn't be a vrornobuy kindergarden movement. Those children should support CM regardless of their stance on VR, because there is no rally sim on the market right now.

This is where those 1%'s stance is at- WHAT WE WANT? VR! WHERE WE WANT IT? NOW! And when you tell them you cannot have the same product with a VR and without it (as confirmed by devs) and present them logical argument for it (that they still fail to understand), they start to shake, roll on the floor, cry, and call names. They want everyone else to get a sim with cut out content/ features because they think their niche VR meme is worth making everyone else suffer.
Instant buy...… as soon as VR is implemented. Until then, as others have stated, it's not worth buying however good it is as I just don't play driving sims on a monitor anymore. There have been a few comments of you should support the game no matter what however why should VR users drop money into something that we won't enjoy.

At the end of the day it's a commercial decision for Codemasters to make however I'm pretty certain the user base still driving on DR 1 regularly has a significantly higher percentage of VR users than the 1% bandied around. I'd say it was at least 25% in the popular Crest league.
I’m seeing a lot of “why do you hate VR?!?!” here, which is ridiculous – nobody’s against VR, that’s just a silly straw man argument.

People are against implementing VR at the expense of what we consider more important features and polish. I for one think VR should be in the game, when it’s feasible to do so, and as long as it doesn’t interfere with higher priority things. I think it’d be a beneficial addition to the game overall, with wider implications than the immediate, possibly fairly minor financial impact. I’m just getting tired of the childish, entitled and snobbish attitude of many VR users, and I think it’s giving VR users a bad name.
Tbh, there are some examples who are quite toxic against pro-VR, that's all. All the meme's and hinted jokes when thing have calmed down. I get it, it's internet, but I haven't noticed this kind of behavior here in past.
I hope most VR supporters are aware that it will not happen in full game release, but as CM has stated, it may happen if there's enough demand for it. Separated expensive (30-40€) DLC should not come on any content expense imo. I hope the game will be supported long enough to get more than 2 DLC's. No one know's what and if we would miss if VR is implemented.
The reason I'm supporting VR is that I'm taht much quicker with it - the more complicated the stage is, the bigger the cap usually is. Example some of the Sweden stages I could go about 20sec faster than my triple screen effect - I just don't get same feeling from the monitor. I've noticed that in Monte Carlo stages I brake in wrong places and in many corners I'm completely off the best line and I tend to make less mistakes in VR. 
SamRWD said:
I will not answer to whole post, because of the way you started it:
looperi said:
Wow why so buthurt against VR, especially if you claim that your after a proper sim? You think the rest of us aren't? Why the hell do you think we were ever playing DR1 for hunders/thousands of hours? Becouse of the pretty colors?

I am supporting a development of a rally sim. VR meme 1% is supporting getting a VR title. If that was not the case there wouldn't be a vrornobuy kindergarden movement. Those children should support CM regardless of their stance on VR, because there is no rally sim on the market right now.

This is where those 1%'s stance is at- WHAT WE WANT? VR! WHERE WE WANT IT? NOW! And when you tell them you cannot have the same product with a VR and without it (as confirmed by devs) and present them logical argument for it (that they still fail to understand), they start to shake, roll on the floor, cry, and call names. They want everyone else to get a sim with cut out content/ features because they think their niche VR meme is worth making everyone else suffer.
What on earth are you going on about? VR title? No one wants content cut/postponed from the actual game! much less for it to be anything else than a brutal simulation. For some reason you seem to think the VR crowd wants a rally GAME when they are the ones crying out for a SIM! Ofcourse were very vocal about VR support becouse it litereally decides whether we can use the SIM or not. If your as hardcore of a sim rallyist as your posts let know i just dont understand what happened with you and VR in the past that made you hate/disregard it this much. 

looperi said:
So motion will be supported well but not VR? This just gets better and better :smiley:  Got motion myself so no problems there.. but iam the only one i know that owns a motion platform vs atleast 5 VR drivers. So that just hits a nerve even more with the "_IF_ there is demand" stance.
Because motions are simply based on UDP output, it doesn't take much development time and it's already in all Codemasters games.
looperi said:
What on earth are you going on about? VR title? No one wants content cut/postponed from the actual game!  

This is another example on how VR memers cannot comprehend simple facts. I tried explaining it using the simplest examples, and it still is too complicated apparently.
looperi said:
What on earth are you going on about? VR title? No one wants content cut/postponed from the actual game!
I suggest somebody reads the poll about VR. http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/140708/dirt-rally-2-0-vr-support/p1

Option 1, Yes: I want VR support at launch (despite VR support taking time and resources away from core game development) 41%

Option 2, Yes: I want VR support as a DLC or an update (despite possibly having to pay for it) 45%
looperi said:
I suggest somebody reads the poll about VR. http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/140708/dirt-rally-2-0-vr-support/p1

Option 1, Yes: I want VR support at launch (despite VR support taking time and resources away from core game development) 41%

Option 2, Yes: I want VR support as a DLC or an update (despite possibly having to pay for it) 45%
Let's remember that people who reply to these polls are ones that want VR. Those without VR don't care enough to even check the thread.
UP100 said:
looperi said:

Let's remember that people who reply to these polls are ones that want VR. Those without VR don't care enough to even check the thread.
You're right, that's why we should look at numbers of votes "for". So far it is couple new accounts on the forums, and less than 2000 people on change org (obviously not verified in any way).
Also we can look at VR peoples behavior on the forums. Those will be the first people complaining about the game after it's release because they just want another VR title, their focus in not on getting a rally sim (if it was, the would not run novrnobuy meme, and wouldn't be threating to pirate the game and keep seeding torrents after release if there is no VR support).
As for people who don't care about VR- remember you, and everyone else will be missing in core features/ additional content if resources are spent on VR, so 1% of people can use headset.
UP100 said:
looperi said:

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/what-display-output-do-you-use-for-sim-racing.145880/

this is a poll on a simracing forum without any mention of vr in the title and not in any vr subforum or anyhting related to vr. its a basic poll asking everbody in a generic subforum what output they use. its from the beginning of the year. single screen users (curved and normal) are the biggest part understandable, but there still nearly 40% of users who voted vr.

is it representative for the broad spectrum of arcade gamers? no. not at all. but if we are talking about the simracing community its probably not that far off anymore.

even if you look at some simracing youtubers and their thoughts on dirt rally 2 (jimmy broadbents last video, thinks it should support vr and directdrive wheels) and the comments below that. we have no hard numbers, and it really is hard to get those numbers. but its undeniable that there is certainly is demand.
Again- couple people who are sim racers in general, we don't know how many of them are interested in a rally simulator. Also we don't know how many of them are interested in full blown rally simulator, and how many of them would sacrifice the quality/ number of features, so they can use VR.

EDIT: BTW the poll is 10 months old, so plenty of time to vote if you are a VR user (nr not to vote if you are not).
everybody had the same time to vote.

your idea that of all potential dirtrally2 players the simracing crowd wouldnt be interested in a full blown simulator is quite amusing. you are aware that dirt rally 1 was highly regarded as one of the most enjoyable rally titles next to rbr in the simracing community?

and no, nobody wants sacraficed quality core content or number of features. we want a fully realized rally simulation with the option to choose our display output of choice. if that comes 6months after release as a dlc for 60$ tahts fine for me. i wont be able to play it until then, but i am gladly spending 120$ for dirt rally 2 if its a full blown rally simulator with vr support.

you have to realize that little studios like studio397 with rfactor2 were able to implement it while also releasing content together. all together while still having a simulation that probably no codemasters title will ever reach in terms of simulation, tyre models and physics.

you can pretend all day that the developmend of vr would make dirtrally2 in to an arcade racer without depth and without anything else. but that simply isnt true as shown by all the other simracing titles out there that are able to do it.
MTOJay said:
everybody had the same time to vote.

But not everyone is interested in voting. Look how many users racedepartament forum has, and how many users this forum has. Now look at votes. Are you saying that half of people on rd, or here own VR? 
MTOJay said:
your idea that of all potential dirtrally2 players the simracing crowd wouldnt be interested in a full blown simulator is quite amusing. you are aware that dirt rally 1 was highly regarded as one of the most enjoyable rally titles next to rbr in the simracing community? 
I was a member of simrally community well before NGP and first mods for RBR appeared, thank you very much. Dirt Rally did not have any competition, I am aware of it's reception among sim crowd- both enthusiastic and critical (I was in the latter camp). Not sure what it adds to the fact that sacrificing sim feature/ content for 1% users just doesn't make sense, but OK.

MTOJay said:
and no, nobody wants sacraficed quality core content or number of features. we want a fully realized rally simulation with the option to choose our display output of choice. if that comes 6months after release as a dlc for 60$ tahts fine for me. i wont be able to play it until then, but i am gladly spending 120$ for dirt rally 2 if its a full blown rally simulator with vr support.
It says a lot about VR memers if they still are confused about bold part. Yes, you are willing to get a worse sim just so you can use VR. In fact you hope to get that- that's your priority. VRORNOBUY meme sums it all.
MTOJay said:

you have to realize that little studios like studio397 with rfactor2 were able to implement it while also releasing content together. all together while still having a simulation that probably no codemasters title will ever reach in terms of simulation, tyre models and physics.

1 We don't know enough to argue why and how those companies made decision to include VR. Apparently that benefited them. We are talking about the first realistic rally sim, not another racing sim.
MTOJay said:
you can pretend all day that the developmend of vr would make dirtrally2 in to an arcade racer without depth and without anything else. but that simply isnt true as shown by all the other simracing titles out there that are able to do it.
Well, I could except I am not. I am just repeating what developers said (Ross that VR memers offend on reddit because they see that a possibility to play with their VR toys in DR2 is not likely to happen). Actually- I was saying it before Ross said it himself. But I guess one of you called his words BS, so here we go.

Remember- if we get a VR, and you complain about any sim feature in the game, that feature could possibly be ironed if it wasn't for VR.
VR= 99% of us suffer. No VR= 100% of us get a proper rally sim.

EDIT: I Will let you guys decide if we ant those people around:

SamRWD said:
Again- couple people who are sim racers in general, we don't know how many of them are interested in a rally simulator. Also we don't know how many of them are interested in full blown rally simulator, and how many of them would sacrifice the quality/ number of features, so they can use VR.

EDIT: BTW the poll is 10 months old, so plenty of time to vote if you are a VR user (nr not to vote if you are not).
I think the number of people still playing dirt rally give a good indication of the amount wanting a simulator. The more if compared with dirt4.
UP100 said:
looperi said:

I agree with you completely, that's why I didn't bother including the NoVR votes in my post.

The comment wasn't about VR v No VR, it was about the fact that nearly half of those who have voted for VR inclusion actually do want content cut or postponed until VR is implemented. I'm all for VR being added at a later date, like it was in DiRT Rally, even though I don't use it myself, but like most of VR later voters I am a forum regular and realise that VR is important to some people.

Most of VR now voters are, like @SamRWD says, new accounts. In fact, most of those VR now voters only voted after Codes released the video saying they will not be launching with VR included because it will impact the games development. Which goes against what @looperi (and @MTOJay) about no one wanting VR at the cost of game development.

UP100 said:
looperi said:

I agree with you completely, that's why I didn't bother including the NoVR votes in my post.

The comment wasn't about VR v No VR, it was about the fact that nearly half of those who have voted for VR inclusion actually do want content cut or postponed until VR is implemented. I'm all for VR being added at a later date, like it was in DiRT Rally, even though I don't use it myself, but like most of VR later voters I am a forum regular and realise that VR is important to some people.

Most of VR now voters are, like @SamRWD says, new accounts. In fact, most of those VR now voters only voted after Codes released the video saying they will not be launching with VR included because it will impact the games development. Which goes against what @looperi (and @MTOJay) about no one wanting VR at the cost of game development.

I think what your missing with those votes is that people (like me) who were previously extremely satisfied with the game now find a game breaking feature lacking(for them/us) and feel the need to atleast understand how something like this could happen.  Remember that some of us have been waiting years for this and then we suddenly hear we cant even play it?
In all honesty i think the wound of no VR @ launch(or ever) is still too fresh and people are just upset about it and voting for "VR for launch no matter what it takes" as an act of desperation/angry backlash, becouse they really really(i really do) want to play it.
looperi said:
UP100 said:
looperi said:

I think what your missing with those votes is that people (like me) who were previously extremely satisfied with the game now find a game breaking feature lacking(for them/us) and feel the need to atleast understand how something like this could happen.  Remember that some of us have been waiting years for this and then we suddenly hear we cant even play it?
In all honesty i think the wound of no VR @ launch(or ever) is still too fresh and people are just upset about it and voting for "VR for launch no matter what it takes" as an act of desperation/angry backlash, becouse they really really(i really do) want to play it.
It isn't game breaking though and you can still play it just not necessarily enjoy it quite as much.

Archived