DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirt Rally 2.0 rally locations and tracks

I would add JAPAN(tarmac), FINLAND, NORWAY and  GREECE(old stages with variations)  
@ChristinaMc

So looks like NZ is based (maybe somewhat roughly) on the Whaanga coast stage near Raglan, which is awesome! For context, it was used for Day 1 (stages 2 & 6) of the WRC in 2012: https://www.rally-maps.com/Rally-New-Zealand-2012
Footage from the event:
https://youtu.be/AT51gc79D24?t=10m36s

Some feedback @ChristinaMc @urgaffel - it looks awesome - I'm so pumped! There are a couple of immersion killers though. 
1) The road colour needs to be more grey. The colour of the cliffs are great, but as in the footage above the road should be grey gravel - much more like Wales in DR and less like Australia in D4. It would be super awesome if it became more red with road deformation as the gravel was swept away though (might be asking a lot :D ).  Example pic from Raglan: 

2) Needs moar camber! <3 I obviously haven't played the game yet - but it would be a tragedy if the feeling described here was lacking: https://youtu.be/AT51gc79D24?t=4m18s
and shown here: 
https://youtu.be/XrPR2xO8uwY?t=36s

Looks awesome though - can't wait to see more!

Of course I'll preorder the shit out of DR2 and all optional content no matter what (I wonder if the magnificent Codemasters, who I'll happily throw all my savings at and who are generally the best people in the world, still need some beta testers - just a random unrelated thought, not sure why I'm mentioning this), but not including the old tracks would be a massive letdown to me.

No Wales? No Monte Carlo? No Ounipunihapuja? Come on! I love those tracks so much, it would be really annoying if I had to jump back and forth between DR1 and 2. And of course, having 12 locations in a career would be so much better than 6.

I don't quite get the argument that some people will complain that half of the tracks of their new game are old stuff. Calling it Dirt Rally 2.0 kinda implies it's an all-new overhauled version of an existing game (note to Codies: by "implies" I mean I'm afraid you have no choice), and there'll always be people complaining, you can be sure there'll be a vocal minority on Steam who'll call it a disgrace and the worst game ever anyway, a stupid arcade racer, RBR did everything better etc. I mean, don't get distracted by some people's complaints (except for mine).

No Ounipunihapuja? 
I don't usually comment on anyone's spelling but as a Finn that sounded hilarious reading it out loud :joy:

P.S. Ouninpohja :wink:

Jepsertti said:
No Ounipunihapuja? 
I don't usually comment on anyone's spelling but as a Finn that sounded hilarious reading it out loud :joy:

P.S. Ouninpohja :wink:
I gave up trying to spell it correctly ages ago, that's just beyond my intellectual capabilities. I just hope whatever I said wasn't insulting someone's mum or something

Is Peru one of the future DLC locations? If you watch this video and you activate the subtitles, you can check Peru is one of the locations...

https://youtu.be/YLHeJsUNB3A
(minute 9 approximately)

But the one who escaped his mind was USA
That is the reason. The subtitles are not automatically generated by Youtube, someone has written them, so perhaps the person who has written the subtitles has told more than he should (off the record information?)...

fbetes said:

Is Peru one of the future DLC locations? If you watch this video and you activate the subtitles, you can check Peru is one of the locations...

https://youtu.be/YLHeJsUNB3A
(minute 9 approximately)
After watching video. first thing i notice, was , how i miss Paul.
I just hope he set good amount of his vision in DR2.0 , before he left, and Ross just kept the ideas and apply.
i think its  not Peru? i think he just misinterpret. 

im sure Paul left a big imprint on this game.  And I think Ross is a pretty good guy to see it through , he’s not new to DiRT or DR

I would love it if we did a Peruvian track, especially if we used somewhere off the grid like Colca Canyon.

I want Paul to be a co-driver option. Told him as much on Twitter. He said he'd do it if there was enough of a community demand!

fitbrit said:
I want Paul to be a co-driver option. Told him as much on Twitter. He said he'd do it if there was enough of a community demand!
#NoPaulNoBuy

/s

Ok - the New Zealand stage we've seen is recreated from the last half of the Whaanga Coast Stage, run in reverse (based on the 2012 Rally NZ).

I've detailed a few more screenshots in this google doc, with the times identified from GameRiot's footage: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T_-h_oa3A_6-s9agEpRFNZ6jwXNWAc2gc4L8X6B6CJg/edit?usp=sharing

A little credit to the Codies researchers - it makes more sense to me why the road colour is what it is - Whaanga Road obviously hasn’t been resealed in a while  :'(

That being said, I trust it'll improve a bit over the next few months. It would still be a shame to miss out on what the road would be turned back into if NZ returned to the WRC. But I’ll stop flogging that horse for a while @urgaffel  :D

edgenz said:
A little credit to the Codies researchers - it makes more sense to me why the road colour is what it is - Whaanga Road obviously hasn’t been resealed in a while  :'(

That being said, I trust it'll improve a bit over the next few months. It would still be a shame to miss out on what the road would be turned back into if NZ returned to the WRC. But I’ll stop flogging that horse for a while @urgaffel  :D
Exceptional work there mate! 

I think different times of day and weather can give a pretty diverse look to NZ as well. 

Great work! In addition, google street view isn’t using the best cameras, so it’s probably looking more dull than it actually is. Point anyone else who moans about the colours here in the future

bogani said:
edgenz said:

Exceptional work there mate! 

I think different times of day and weather can give a pretty diverse look to NZ as well. 
Agreed, fantastic job!

edgenz said:
Ok - the New Zealand stage we've seen is recreated from the last half of the Whaanga Coast Stage, run in reverse (based on the 2012 Rally NZ).

Anyone else who thinks this particular stage is uninspiring ?? 
It goes on and on with "left 5, right 5"s 
I'm looking forward to more details about more of the stages and hope they are way more complex !!

None of the DR1 stages was this simple... 
- No hills
- No jumps
- No chicanes
- Only 1 surface
- No hairpins
- Only a couple of gates that dont make a challenge passing (remember those in Whales?)

DR1 only contains stages that demand full attention from the driver .. this stage is just braindead. 

I'm not sure what you are talking about?!?! Have you seen the actual gameplay video?
There is a LOT of elevation change on that stage and quite a few sharp corners.
One in particular caught my eye, when he approached a hairpin-right which was also a makeshift-bridge across a small stream. Meaning you had a fall-off on both sides of the road. I imagine that get's quite tricky to hit right with the fast cars

Rally NZ is easy flowing in general. I remember few years back WRC drivers said it is the easiest rally when it comes to the roads themselves (I think Loeb even described them as "relaxing" in pre event interview). Watch RL onboards- it is that kind of a rally. Also good choice for newbie blogers and journalist to put into. Anything more difficult and we would see crashes/ spins on the gameplay.

Montago said:
edgenz said:
Anyone else who thinks this particular stage is uninspiring ?? 
It goes on and on with "left 5, right 5"s 
I'm looking forward to more details about more of the stages and hope they are way more complex !!

None of the DR1 stages was this simple... 
- No hills
- No jumps
- No chicanes
- Only 1 surface
- No hairpins
- Only a couple of gates that dont make a challenge passing (remember those in Whales?)

DR1 only contains stages that demand full attention from the driver .. this stage is just braindead. 
I think it's worth keeping in mind we've only seen it being run using a Mk.2 Golf GTI. The stage has some serious pace despite this - I imagine it will be wild with a decent car. 

@Montago
Just watch the videos first, because I suspect you haven't. 
Some examples, same stage. Leading with the hairpin I described earlier:

@SkyRex

Hi, yes i did watch the whole thing... 
But it seems that its meant to be a stroll in the park according to the other replies. 

I just hope that the rest of the locations are waaaay harder. This particular stage resembles the stages we had in Dirt 4.