DiRT Rally 2.0 Official Countdown Thread

22 minutes ago, SirPhilMcKraken said:

I've only now just noticed how similar the aero is on the EKS RX car to the Grp B Quattro, its about as 90% as extreme lol

Weirdly the earlier version(s) of the EKS S1 always reminded me of the 6R4 (because the arches are so boxy). Definitely agree about the rear wing on the 2018 car though, it's not pretty, but it does look very 80's!

I can't remember where I saw the quote, but I am sure I recall Ekstrom saying that they originally opted for the boxy arches to make the EKS S1 look cool, then worked out how to make it faster later!

13 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Weirdly the earlier version(s) of the EKS S1 always reminded me of the 6R4 (because the arches are so boxy). Definitely agree about the rear wing on the 2018 car though, it's not pretty, but it does look very 80's!

I can't remember where I saw the quote, but I am sure I recall Ekstrom saying that they originally opted for the boxy arches to make the EKS S1 look cool, then worked out how to make it faster later!

Yeah I see what you mean about the 6R4 look.

I like that approach haha, I think F1 should do the same....

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, SirPhilMcKraken said:

Yeah I see what you mean about the 6R4 look.

I like that approach haha, I think F1 should do the same....

Found the quote, it was in the Racecar Engineering World RX Special: 

"We just made the bodywork look aggressive, the way we thought that it should look – we have not done any windtunnel testing. Aerodynamics don’t really matter in rallycross"

I was mistaken, that wasn't Ekstrom, but EKS technical director Janne Ljungberg. I guess that approach changed when Audi Sport got involved, as the 2018 definitely looked to have more consideration given to aerodynamics. 

Just now, tbtstt said:

Found the quote, it was in the Racecar Engineering World RX Special: 

"We just made the bodywork look aggressive, the way we thought that it should look – we have not done any windtunnel testing. Aerodynamics don’t really matter in rallycross"

I was mistaken, that wasn't Ekstrom, but EKS technical director Janne Ljungberg. I guess that approach changed when Audi Sport got involved, as the 2018 definitely looked to have more consideration given to aerodynamics. 

Thats the Hellcat approach. Make it look aggressive and have ludicrous amounts of power but not make it easy to actually put any of that power down and get beaten by a Focus RS in a quarter mile.