Sign in to follow this  

How big is the ownership of VR Headsets in this community?

LOL

Good one. You have no idea how pipeline works ("1 or 2 people start working on VR and everything else is unaffected") , you have no idea how mathematics work (to suggest that every VR user is an extra income is silly- you can own a VR and still get a game without VR especially if you are after a modern realistic rally sim that has no competition on the market, so there is no alternative).

MTOJay said:
also thank you for keeping the topic alive for days :-)

No problem, I am glad that people can see how VR meme is harmful to the game.

Must see: https://youtu.be/YLHeJsUNB3A?t=8m42s

I grabbed a Dell Visor second hand on the cheap earlier this year, I've found that in order to get my minimum FPS above 80 in Dirt Rally VR I have to set just about everything on low with crowds and ground cover turned off, if I try to push any settings higher than that i'll get heavy stutters on certain stages or will endup making myself sick, whilst I will be spending on a graphics card to fix that, the majority of people simply wouldn't deem it worthwhile to spend the necessary money to try it properly, also if people think the (lower res) Vive or Oculus lack resolution then forget the PS4VR.

The other side of that coin is picking which VR platform to build support for, and then getting attacked for why they didn't focus on VR platform X.

Again, before all that there is taking development and QA time from the core game itself.

MTOJay said:
no. but you dont get the point. if you make the calculations. at full price thats above 100.000$. lets just say with all the deals everybody bought at half price at average. thats at least (probabyl a lot more) 2000*30$. thats at least 60.000$. we are probably way higher then that, but thats the very least amount of money codemasters generated from vr users only.

60.000$ should be enough to cover vr development for such a title when way way way smaller studios were able to implement it already.

look at the output of studio397 and iracing despite working on vr.

and you can spread your lies over and over again. you really have no idea how development works if you are under the impression that the whole team that works on content for the game suddenly switches to vr development. thats not even remotely the same job. one is a technical developer that develops the engine and the pipeline and the other people are content developers. track deisgners, car designers etc. not the complete devteam will switch to vr development. if they decide to implement vr then 1 or 2 people will switch to that project. and if you believe it or not in my opinion vr support is a core functionality. its something that every future release would benefit from.

its just an oversight and you cant convince me that a sim released in 2019 where every other major sim that takes itself seriously is able to work in vr should ship without proper 3screen and proper vr support. i somewaht understand that a pure arcade game like the f1 series doesnt include vr, but dirt rally is marketed and shown as a simracing title. and to release a successor of something with less features then the predecessor is never a good thing.
Where are you pulling all these numbers from?? Are you Codemaster's financial controller so you know exactly how much everything will cost?

I completely support VR in racing sims but I also understand that it is still a niche industry and putting in development time will yield a lower ROI than working on other features that the majority of other users will be able to take advantage of. You're claiming other people don't know how development works but it doesn't sound like you do either.

MTOJay said:
no. but you dont get the point. if you make the calculations. at full price thats above 100.000$. lets just say with all the deals everybody bought at half price at average. thats at least (probabyl a lot more) 2000*30$. thats at least 60.000$. we are probably way higher then that, but thats the very least amount of money codemasters generated from vr users only.

60.000$ should be enough to cover vr development for such a title when way way way smaller studios were able to implement it already.

look at the output of studio397 and iracing despite working on vr.

and you can spread your lies over and over again. you really have no idea how development works if you are under the impression that the whole team that works on content for the game suddenly switches to vr development. thats not even remotely the same job. one is a technical developer that develops the engine and the pipeline and the other people are content developers. track deisgners, car designers etc. not the complete devteam will switch to vr development. if they decide to implement vr then 1 or 2 people will switch to that project. and if you believe it or not in my opinion vr support is a core functionality. its something that every future release would benefit from.

its just an oversight and you cant convince me that a sim released in 2019 where every other major sim that takes itself seriously is able to work in vr should ship without proper 3screen and proper vr support. i somewaht understand that a pure arcade game like the f1 series doesnt include vr, but dirt rally is marketed and shown as a simracing title. and to release a successor of something with less features then the predecessor is never a good thing.
Where are you pulling all these numbers from?? Are you Codemaster's financial controller so you know exactly how much everything will cost?

I completely support VR in racing sims but I also understand that it is still a niche industry and putting in development time will yield a lower ROI than working on other features that the majority of other users will be able to take advantage of. You're claiming other people don't know how development works but it doesn't sound like you do either.
the calculations are overly cautious. they sold probably way above 2000 copies on oculus home alone. all of those are vr users. i didnt calculate with anything close to full price. way below that. so i think these numbers are actually way below what they are in the reality. it was just a basic calculation what even with these low numbers could be generated.

i am not saying vr development is easy. i am just saying considering all the smaller simracing studios where able to do it i think a studio as big as codemasters could pull it off again aswell. studio397, iracing, sector3, all these studios are small compared to codemasters. their salesnumbers are nowhere near what codemasters does yet all of them were able to support vr and constantly put out content as dlcs at the same time. magic.

VR petition:            https://www.change.org/p/novrnobuy-codemasters-please-add-vr-support-for-dirt-rally-2-0-on-pc-and-ps4

I own all of the DiRT titles but didn't really get on with DiRT Rally until I got a Rift headset and discovered there was still a lot of fun to be had, even if you were a bit pants. I'm sure I'd still end up picking it up at some later point but I wouldn't be pre-ordering if 2.0 doesn't have VR support.

I honestly would pay for VR support added to this game, either way. We want it, we need it, and there are no cons to add VR support to this title.

I’ve got the chance to get a PSVR headset at discount from a family member that works for Sony, but if there was no discount I wouldn’t bother yet. Too pricey, not enough games supported, there’s the chance it’ll make me ill, and I already have enough wires to manage.  Still, VR does seem to be in my future someday but not immediately.  

cjr3559 said:
I’ve got the chance to get a PSVR headset at discount from a family member that works for Sony, but if there was no discount I wouldn’t bother yet. 
Personally i'd say don't bother and go for a PC solution instead, the PS4VR resolution is far lower than everything else.

zissakos1 said:
Talking about ROI? Wait a minute...
So if CM just adds gameplay features etc. (as they said) what will be the ROI? You cannot sell gameplay features. They must come in a free update.
If they add tracks and cars as DLC, well, these they can sell. But how many people do you think buy them after buying the base game? Just because you are hungry for any additional track/car (as am I) doesn't mean ALL game owners buy all DLC (especially console owners).
Besides, DLC plans have been announced, no one is questioning that or demanding any change on them.

And now how many MORE copies would they sell if the game had VR support? Or how many would buy a VR DLC? Look at all the social media, look at the petition.
I wouldn't be so certain that VR has no ROI, quite the contrary I believe.
I am talking about the investment in development before the release of the game. The ROI of implementing VR won't be anyway near as much as implementing other features that all players can use which might attract them.

little off topic: you know RBR supports VR nowadays? Do a search on the internet and you will find the game and a usermade VR patch all for free.