Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To the community 'insiders' who gave CM feedback on handling etc on DR 2.0 ...

Sooo, back on topic.

What questions did you have?  I thoroughly enjoyed the handling testing, so much more effort and perhaps thought has been put into DR2.0 and i'm really looking forward to the game.

Sooo, back on topic.

What questions did you have?  I thoroughly enjoyed the handling testing, so much more effort and perhaps thought has been put into DR2.0 and i'm really looking forward to the game.
Fully agree! Some cool cars coming as well  B)

Sooo, back on topic.

Great! Tell us what you can about the realism in general, and vs DR1 please. Is there a higher-resolution feel to the tracks, ie small bumps, camber, ruts etc - do they affect the steering noticeably? Any un-natural turning, ie does the weight and momentum of cars feel realistic? Do you still fly after jumps like DR1? Any other comments/observations? Thanks! 

What I would like yo know is what and how was reworked physics/handling wise for 2.0?

Are the different diffs all modelled?

Jcushing5 said:
Sooo, back on topic.

Great! Tell us what you can about the realism in general, and vs DR1 please. Is there a higher-resolution feel to the tracks, ie small bumps, camber, ruts etc - do they affect the steering noticeably? Any un-natural turning, ie does the weight and momentum of cars feel realistic? Do you still fly after jumps like DR1? Any other comments/observations? Thanks! 
Good realism in general.  Much better than DR.
We have only been testing handling, not stages.
No unnatural turning, good weight transfer, things feel realistic.  I didn't detect unnatural flight capabilities.

There is an element of steering RWD cars with the throttle that was absent in comparison from DR that I really like.

What I would like yo know is what and how was reworked physics/handling wise for 2.0?

Are the different diffs all modelled?

Everything was looked at and tweaked.

If anyone remembers heated physics topics on both DR1 and D4, you might remember one loud guy who was complaining a lot- that guy was me. So I know it doesn't mean much, but I was probably the most skeptical member of this forums. That being said after seeing what we've been shown I must confess- I am convinced. I don't know yet how close to perfection are physics going to be, but it is night and day compared to DR and D4. Everyone praising Dirtfish physics will not be disappointed IMHO (EDIT: I mean apart from three VR users).

What I would advise, is to stock up on these.....    :D :p

KevM said:
What I would advise, is to stock up on these.....    :D :p

Oh man, took me a second to recognize those, thought at first it was these:
Image result for candy corn
If by any chance you don't know what those are... lucky you, because along with those craptastic Valentines hard heart candy things, they make up Satans candy shop.
Everyone hates them, but somehow they still make millions every year.

Jcushing5 said:
Sooo, back on topic.

No unnatural turning, good weight transfer, things feel realistic.  I didn't detect unnatural flight capabilities.

There is an element of steering RWD cars with the throttle that was absent in comparison from DR that I really like.
Realistic braking distances?
Less low speed grip? 

Jcushing5 said:
Sooo, back on topic.

Realistic braking distances?
Less low speed grip? 
Without numbers and calculations it's hard to claim them to be absolutely realistic, but definately thereabouts. 

Yes, less low speed grip. 

It's important to understand that there might have been small tweaks to things from the last build we've tested, so we can only judge what we've tested last. It might be in a different state right now. 

Yeah, I always used to have a problem keeping the wheels spinning round hairpins and just end up bogging down, both engine and in lateral movement.

Used to.

Ultimately I think the single most important question is whether Codies will continue to listen to feedback on p physics/handling after launch, or if it's just going to be "that'll do" (aside from DLC releases.)

ShodanCat said:
Ultimately I think the single most important question is whether Codies will continue to listen to feedback on p physics/handling after launch, or if it's just going to be "that'll do" (aside from DLC releases.)
The thing is, would it be economical for them to update an existing game, or save it for a new game?
I think the answer to your question is apparent, that CM did listen to all of the feedback on D4 (and DR) otherwise we wouldn't be looking at DR2 right now. If, for the sake of argument, DR2 needs post-launch changes, then CM would have to balance the cost of making those changes with the potential return. If within the couple of months they've already sold the majority of units they expect to, then post-launch fixes could cost a lot of money with not much return (no one who's bought the game and demands fixes is going to buy the game again). So they might hold on to that feedback until they can invest it in the next title, where they'll be able to recoup that investment by selling a new game.

How a product is supported post launch is usually decided before release.
I think CM are well aware how that has worked for the last two titles and what people are saying and wanted.

That much is clear based on them announcing planned DLC.  It would be ammiss to think they wouldn't already be planning on using the servicing plan to patch as well.

ShodanCat said:
I honestly think it’s more a case of refining a good setup now, rather than needing a complete overhaul.  The potential I have seen in the past few months has astonished me to be honest.  I’m not 100% sure what will end up making the final cut, but DiRT Rally only really seemed to scratch the surface of what Ego can still do

Despite DiRT Rally having its own issues, people begged for paid DLC. I'm sure theres space for a DLC business model here as there's plenty of work to be done in the game and pretty ways to make money.
Either be it from adding cars, to adding rallies and their stages, co-pilot voice packs, etc. If the core is good like DiRT Rally was, people will want more of it and that's where they can make their money with paid DLC releases, similar to what was done in Early Access in terms of phasing. They should also keep in contact with the community as well, like DR's EA.

Everyone praising Dirtfish physics will not be disappointed IMHO
Ermm... is this the rally school in Dirt 4? I never played that game, but I am led to believe the physics in Dirt 4 were a big step backwards from Dirt Rally...

Jcushing5 said:
Ermm... is this the rally school in Dirt 4? I never played that game, but I am led to believe the physics in Dirt 4 were a big step backwards from Dirt Rally...

Some things can't be covered with a binary statement. The 4WD physics were an improvement in many areas, the RWD were a step back (although there is conjecture that this may be partially down to setup). The cars also had a much better feeling of 'weight'.

Jcushing5 said:
Dirt Fish seemed to use a bit different handling (or maybe it wasn't using hidden assists) than rally stages. DR's handling was bad IMHO (I know it is a very unpopular opinion on this forums), D4 got some areas better, but some much worse than DR. Not worth getting into that- DR2 seems to include improvements that community came to wish for after long discussions here on forums.

SamAWD said:
Jcushing5 said:
Dirt Fish seemed to use a bit different handling (or maybe it wasn't using hidden assists) than rally stages. DR's handling was bad IMHO (I know it is a very unpopular opinion on this forums), D4 got some areas better, but some much worse than DR. Not worth getting into that- DR2 seems to include improvements that community came to wish for after long discussions here on forums.
I just think that gravel setup and tires just went very well on the type of broken tarmac that Dirtfish had on it. Most of the cars actually felt very natural to drive there.

The main issue was the gravel tire behavior on gravel. 

One thing I particularly liked about D4 were the physics on tarmac. The cars on tarmac drove better than in DR. I'm not saying it was perfect in D4, but if they took D4's tarmac physics and worked on top of them for DR2.0 that would be good news.

AIPacino said:
One thing I particularly liked about D4 were the physics on tarmac. The cars on tarmac drove better than in DR. I'm not saying it was perfect in D4, but if they took D4's tarmac physics and worked on top of them for DR2.0 that would be good news.

Agree that they were a step forward; my frustration with tarmac was the setting of Spain - personally I don't think the wide flowing highways represent tarmac rallying very well. Hopefully the Spanish stage they're making for DR2 has plenty of narrow bits and junctions. Germany was better IMO, but Panzerplatte doesn't really showcase a more typical event like Ireland, Belgium, Switzerland, Switzerland or Czech Republic would do.