Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To the community 'insiders' who gave CM feedback on handling etc on DR 2.0 ...

i dont get why so many rally games just wont do narrow events. really bring to life danger , speed . some things on Dirt 4 were better on tarmac. some where terrible.

DR's stages width and DR2 are the real ones. The stages are scanned irl and then put on the 3D, so there's no more or less width than it is in real life.
One of the tiles from D4's Spain was a piece of Spain's Costa Brava real stage (the hairpin).
@16:34
https://youtu.be/YKcETRQfO20?t=984

So based on what work they already have, I think and hope Spain's rally in DR2.0 will keep its place in Costa Brava by being a full tarmac rally and hopefully we'll see that stage that has the hairpin. As a 2nd long stage, it would be epic if they had the iconic stage that goes near a bridge where lots of people gather and Panizzi did the donut with the 206.
The stage is called Viladrau: @13:54

https://youtu.be/dPKGPTz8UFU?t=834

Not related to handling- but do we actually know how many stages per location we will get? I see "two long stages" mentioned a lot here. That would be a bit disappointing IMHO. 

SamRWD said:
Not related to handling- but do we actually know how many stages per location we will get? I see "two long stages" mentioned a lot here. That would be a bit disappointing IMHO. 
I don't think it's been confirmed anywhere, but if they had significantly more kilometers per location than before I'm sure it would have been part of the marketing already.

They normally have 2 long stages and then cut them up. Honestly, I'd be surprised if they did anything else.

Hopefully, they keep churning out DLC for the base game for a few years. That way, we'd get a far bigger games that feels fresh for longer. I know DLC is a touchy subject but personally, if it's of good quality, I'll buy it. AC showed that you can release a game and then keep adding content and updates for years.

DLC is the only way for this kind of game because of the lack of locations, you're right it can be a touchy subject, but I think pretty much everyone on forums were saying they wanted DLC for D4, so D2 will get even more support from community in that regard.

(I still have hope that modding will get some kind of support for PC platform)

I dont think modding will ever touch the stages/locations, otherwise DR would have new locations already. Count on liveries though.

I have a feeling DLC was planned for D4 but due to the reception, it was canned and DR2.0 was born instead. If they get the handling model right in this in all aspects, DLC would be a fantastic way forward to release new content but not have people waiting for a 2 year development cycle and to have a fully fledged game where you have so much variety.

Evilsmurf said:
Hopefully, they keep churning out DLC for the base game for a few years. That way, we'd get a far bigger games that feels fresh for longer. I know DLC is a touchy subject but personally, if it's of good quality, I'll buy it. AC showed that you can release a game and then keep adding content and updates for years.
+1000
This and Mod support would be fantastic.

I have a feeling DLC was planned for D4 but due to the reception, it was canned and DR2.0 was born instead. If they get the handling model right in this in all aspects, DLC would be a fantastic way forward to release new content but not have people waiting for a 2 year development cycle and to have a fully fledged game where you have so much variety.

Yeah, absolutely, it's not new Project , i'm totally agree with you.

Been having great fun on the protoype version that we were given.

Can't wait to get my hands on proper DR2, and try it with my own vehicle settings and different tyres. 

From what I understand Jon Armstrong and Ryan Champion have been working on this together and refining the base physics. It's looking very promising at the moment :smiley:

P.S Please stop with the RBR comparisons. Just enjoy each game for what they are.

AIPacino said:
DR's stages width and DR2 are the real ones. The stages are scanned irl and then put on the 3D, so there's no more or less width than it is in real life.
One of the tiles from D4's Spain was a piece of Spain's Costa Brava real stage (the hairpin).
Even if they do real world scans. They still need to make sure they scale everything else to it (car size, cockpit, wheels). In Dirt 4 there was a few sections especially on Sweden where things were just massively over sized compared to a rally car. Some of the jumps in Dirt Rally felt the same aswell. Like the cars had been shrunk in both games.

AIPacino said:
Even if they do real world scans. They still need to make sure they scale everything else to it (car size, cockpit, wheels). In Dirt 4 there was a few sections especially on Sweden where things were just massively over sized compared to a rally car. Some of the jumps in Dirt Rally felt the same aswell. Like the cars had been shrunk in both games.
THEY. DO. NOT. SCAN. 

AIPacino said:
One thing I particularly liked about D4 were the physics on tarmac. The cars on tarmac drove better than in DR. I'm not saying it was perfect in D4, but if they took D4's tarmac physics and worked on top of them for DR2.0 that would be good news.
When I watch the replay, you see the rear of the car yaw before the front & end up with little need in steering input, nor truly oversteer or understeer.

It was enough to made me skip the game.

MrDeap said:
AIPacino said:
One thing I particularly liked about D4 were the physics on tarmac. The cars on tarmac drove better than in DR. I'm not saying it was perfect in D4, but if they took D4's tarmac physics and worked on top of them for DR2.0 that would be good news.
When I watch the replay, you see the rear of the car yaw before the front & end up with little need in steering input, nor truly oversteer or understeer.

This. It looks like CMR2005.

yoyoML said:
MrDeap said:
AIPacino said:

This. It looks like CMR2005.
Exactly. That's especially bad when you realize that top of the line racing simulator are pretty much based on that handling just to reach realistic numbers & authentic behavior is secondary.

bogani said:
AIPacino said:
THEY. DO. NOT. SCAN. 
You're right xD They actually do it the traditional way with measuring tapes and stuff instead of laser scanning. For some reason I thought they used DEM scanning but Paul Coleman said otherwise in a DR interview.

does it look like that in that long video of him in the Mk2 VW , he sis constantly having to set up the car with handbrake for the corners ? Just curious ?

That happens because it's a FWD, you have to keep using the handbreak on gravel because FWD's understeer.

LOL I know I own a MK2 G60.I just wanted some feedback from peoples observations of the video , if that handbrake is used extensively like that byt the aces of the era, like Erikson in Mk2  and McRae in the Mk3???

I also would like to know , what was changed and added that to how now the cars feel better now and how the feedback is processed? thank you

I also would like to know , what was changed and added that to how now the cars feel better now and how the feedback is processed? thank you
If DiRT Rally handling detail was like a YouTube stream, DiRT Rally 2.0 is 4K

AIPacino said:
Myeah DR/D4 tarmac physics are about as bad as can be. Oversimplified and hovercraft-y.
Sorry dude.

AIPacino said:
Myeah DR/D4 tarmac physics are about as bad as can be. Oversimplified and hovercraft-y.
Sorry dude.
This. Plus you could feel lack of inertia and weird turn axis so clearly on harpins.