Sign in to follow this  

When will the famous "D3D has been removed" error finally be resolved?

Question

After playing for 3-4 laps and entering the pit, the game continuosly crashes and a message "D3D Device has been removed" shows. I'm running the game using my graphics card in Windows 10, my specifications should safely satisfy the game requirements and no problems should occur related to the graphic card.

Here are the specifications of my laptop:
HP Omen 15
Intel Core i7 7700HQ @2.80GHz
8Gb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
All drivers up to date
The GPU usage is configured so that it can only be used by games so that no other program/process utilices the GPU when playing.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game without success, double checking the state of my drivers also without success.

At this point, the game is simply unplayable, as I cannot even finish a single 5-lap race, the game just crashes before that.

After playing for 3-4 laps and entering the pit, the game continuosly crashes and a message "D3D Device has been removed" shows. I'm running the game using my graphics card in Windows 10, my specifications should safely satisfy the game requirements and no problems should occur related to the graphic card.

Here are the specifications of my laptop:
HP Omen 15
Intel Core i7 7700HQ @2.80GHz
8Gb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
All drivers up to date
The GPU usage is configured so that it can only be used by games so that no other program/process utilices the GPU when playing.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game without success, double checking the state of my drivers also without success.

At this point, the game is simply unplayable, as I cannot even finish a single 5-lap race, the game just crashes before that.

In the meantime I downloaded the Aorus Engine utility from the Gigabyte site. My Graphics card was in gaming Mode, which appears to be the default, After setting it to "Silent"Mode I did not yet see the D3D error.

Merged two threads on the same topic.

The error is usually seen when there is a failure in the hardware, e.g. a power fluctuation or overheating, which causes the system to momentarily lose connection to the gfx card. Lowering GFX settings is unlikely to have much effect as this will result in higher frame rates which will create a similar load on your system. The suggested solution above to lower the load on on the card sounds like a good approach to increase stability if switching out power supplies or GFX cards is not an option. If you don't have access to anything to lower the GPU power demand, then capping framerate (either in game or through an external programme) might help.

"Your device is too powerful" would be a more useful error message lol! Hope it sorts it, thats one very nice graphic card! You may need several high end fans for that one hardware!

Hello folks,  
Yesterday I upgraded from 2 GTX 1080s (the game was only able to use one anyway) to a 2080 Ti and I'm getting the D3D Device has been removed issue that a lot of people seem to be getting aswell. However, I never had that issue with the old setup in any F1 game. So it has to be something related to the GPU.  
I tried removing the drivers with DDU and reinstalling them. It seemed to fix the issue (before I was getting the crash after a few seconds out on track and I once got it in the menus). But after 30 laps at Canada the unthinkable happened again...  
What am I supposed to do? The GPU is rock solid in other games and I haven't overclocked it yet.

I’ve merged a couple of threads together that were about the same issue.

There are a few suggestions through the thread that might help you further, @XCalinX 

@Faya I'll try those when I get home but I don't think there's a problem with my GPU as it runs fine in other games.

Hopefully they get it working for you, its new technology, you're an early adopter! I'm interested to see what they can do with Ray Tracing in racing in the next few years, whats the point etc. But the DLSS should be helpful

Hi,
I have problems with f1 2018, after a few minutes the game crash with error "The D3D Device has been removed! Reason: 0x887A0006"

I've already tried updating the video card and directx drivers, but the problem is not solved. It is also impossible to play by lowering the graphic settings. Many users have the same problem but still no solution.
I have an ATI R9290X and I have never had problems with other games, only with F1 2018.

I tried several times to install the video card drivers and install the new drivers, I checked the integrity of the files using steam, but the problem was not solved.

Sorry for the bad english

As for the blackscreen issue and if you are on Steam, you can try to launch the game from Steam in safe mode with the command "-safemode".
To do so, right click on F1 2018 in your Steam library, click Properties, and Set Launch Options... Then insert the "-safemode" (without the "").

Have had the same issue since launch, I have a R9 290.
Can't even play career or multiplayer without it happening every time.

Hi there,

I’ve merged two threads about the same issue. For the new comers, you may find helpful information in the posts above. Thanks,

I have had the issue occur tree or four times in the 88 that I've played F1 2018 now. Restarting the pc sometimes helps but in my case, the issue occurs very unregularly. 2 times it occured after loading from one seesion to another in online and it happened once or twice when in the garage or on the track.

Version: 1.[release]-1.10
GTX 1060 3gb zotac mini
AMD Ryzen 3 1300x 
1080p resolution
8 gb ddr4 ram @2400 MHz single channel, 1 stick

Happened once more today, I was hosting an online unranked race. Loading from practice to qualy, the game crashed with the exact same error. Yet another reason why this game is really getting on my nerves now. I cannot reliably host a race for AOR split 1 assists. I don't have the GPU information of monitoring software as I was not capturing or monitoring any data.

Hoo said:

The error is usually seen when there is a failure in the hardware, e.g. a power fluctuation or overheating, which causes the system to momentarily lose connection to the gfx card. Lowering GFX settings is unlikely to have much effect as this will result in higher frame rates which will create a similar load on your system. The suggested solution above to lower the load on on the card sounds like a good approach to increase stability if switching out power supplies or GFX cards is not an option. If you don't have access to anything to lower the GPU power demand, then capping framerate (either in game or through an external programme) might help.

So you are saying our PCs are faulty? Then shouldn't we be experiencing problems with other games as well? I can run a long stress tests, and do all kinds of benchmarks, but if I play your game it's supposedly too much for my pc and It'll start to get power fluctuations and starts to overheat? Sorry but I am not going to believe that. I'm not saying that any of the "fixes" wont work, but I believe that the problem lies within the game.
My suggestion: If you are using G-sync (Nvidia) or Free Sync (AMD), turn them off. Then go to your games Video Mode settings, and turn on V-sync to setting 1 or 2. Also set the Refresh Rate to 99hz or below. This may or may not help you, but at least the game should run more stable.

Someone on the Steam forums suggested that I run in Windowed borderless, and turn VSync on.
There are far less crashes but they still exists.
Also, it's absolutely disgraceful that Codemasters actually blames our PCs, even though it is clearly a problem with their game. They really should change their name to Codenoobs.

LOL, they actually censored that word, for those wondering, it wasn't profanity, it was actually this: (pic is an youtube thumbnail from one of my videos)

Hoo said:

I have additional information on this error. I got it again and I am experiencing it quite frequently. I have never gotten this error while driving but mostly when loading from one session into another, or like this time in a "cutscene" it happened when just sitting in the "motorhome".
Screenshots and hardware statistic graphs:
https://imgur.com/kYrxiSd
https://imgur.com/5CRKS5Q
https://imgur.com/4Te9KJh

The game transitions are usually where we get lots of data loading and unloading into system and gfx memory, so perhaps you are hitting a memory limitation somewhere? Perhaps try reducing the texture quality in the graphics settings to see if that helps.

Also, one of the graphs showed your RAM and pagefile usage going pretty high, so it might be worth checking to see if you have any other programs running that might also be taking up system resources. It might also be worth checking how your page file is allocated to make sure that you have enough and on the appropriate drives.

Hoo said:
The game transitions are usually where we get lots of data loading and unloading into system and gfx memory, so perhaps you are hitting a memory limitation somewhere? Perhaps try reducing the texture quality in the graphics settings to see if that helps.

Also, one of the graphs showed your RAM and pagefile usage going pretty high, so it might be worth checking to see if you have any other programs running that might also be taking up system resources. It might also be worth checking how your page file is allocated to make sure that you have enough and on the appropriate drives.

Nope, tried everything and none worked. Turned down texture streaming way down to ultra low and it still crashes. RAM usage is just half of my total. I've also changed pagefile settings from windows managed to manual with 16384mb size and it STILL crashes.

Very disappointing, bought F1 2017 and 2018 during the last Codemasters weekend sale on Steam and so far in career mode i had only finished ONE race in 2017 and NONE in 2018 due to the constant crashes. Latest Nvidia drivers and F1 2018 is at latest 1.14 patch. Strangely of the 100+ games i owned ONLY this 2 F1 games have such crashes. Even other codemasters products that I owned or played, DiRT 4, DiRT Rally and the older F1 2014 and 2013 all ran without a hitch. 

@wchsam92 - is it the same "D3D Device Has Been Removed" crash every time, or are you getting different crashes? If you can send through your Steam ID then we can check if you have reported any other crashes (see here for instructions on getting your Steam ID).

Hoo said:
@wchsam92 - is it the same "D3D Device Has Been Removed" crash every time, or are you getting different crashes? If you can send through your Steam ID then we can check if you have reported any other crashes (see here for instructions oOfn getting your Steam ID).
Of course it is the dreaded "D3D device removed" error. Also I had sent my crash dump to your community email address.