Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R&D AI Car Performance Inconsistent?

I'm in Season 5 right now and in Hungary Mercedes have the 3rd worst car on the grid but they still get into Q3 despite that they have the 2nd worst chassis, and 4th worst aero and powertrain, Lewis' AI always gets into Q3 in my Career Mode when the team is constantly in the bottom 3-4 that it made me think is this game fails to keep the AI R&D Performance in check as the game progresses.

Also to back this up is Williams, they have the 6th fastest car but they still get knocked out in Q1 and see no actual changes whatsoever. This makes me wish we be better off with F1 2016's R&D system when AI actually make gains and drops on a split instance.

Some of it may reflect the driver if they are quite a bit more successful such as Alonso. Otherwise at times random small performances appear. Although you maybe getting a bit of the quali bug that could be messing up your teams if its more extreme. For me on PS4 Merc are also bottom 3 but Bottas and Hamilton are both at the back of the grid, but Lewis will snatch the odd points. I did Williams up max and as soon as I left they just went downhil again fast, not sure if both drivers are low or just the car being that all teams are limited to somewhat of an average maximum R&D so even without regulation changes, the bottom teams would simply become bottom again at some point. Williams just have too little to work with to begin and some teams have slightly different R&D available too.
For me at the moment the latest patch seems to have thrown some unknowns in the works as previously the R&D was quite accurate. Maybe they just wanted more mixing up of grids which is happening for me, the grid is so all over the place! But it doesn't unfortunately make the race more exciting as the slower AI still often slow the faster AI down and just creates a slow train of AI. Hopefully they undo that bit. I'm all for a bit of random, the odd amazing performance from a low team driver does occur but not to the level currently in the quali bug lol

R&D is Obvs split into 3, Aero, chassis and power train. Some circuits like Monza suit cars with great engines, other more technical tracks, Suzuka, Monaco, would suit cars with better chassis / aero. Even if a car is fairly low down the order overall, but the have the best engine, then in my opinion, they may perform better at Monza compared to other circuits and vice Versa - just like in real life. That paired up with OP AI eg alonso, Hamilton might explain the random spikes in AI performance?

Are you simulating any part of quail...i.e. speeding up time, starting a flying lap instead of driving out or not making Q2 or Q3 can cause the ai to revert to baseline car performance...this has to be a known bug Aarava and Tiametmarduk talk about it all the time on their channels...maybe that's part of patch 1.11 that's why it's taking so long to announce...haha wishful thinking since this is a legacy bug from 2017

BluRacer7 said:
I'm in Season 5 right now and in Hungary Mercedes have the 3rd worst car on the grid but they still get into Q3 despite that they have the 2nd worst chassis, and 4th worst aero and powertrain, Lewis' AI always gets into Q3 in my Career Mode when the team is constantly in the bottom 3-4
https://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/140709/has-the-q3-bug-been-reported

jrod22145 said:
Are you simulating any part of quail...i.e. speeding up time, starting a flying lap instead of driving out or not making Q2 or Q3 can cause the ai to revert to baseline car performance...this has to be a known bug Aarava and Tiametmarduk talk about it all the time on their channels...maybe that's part of patch 1.11 that's why it's taking so long to announce...haha wishful thinking since this is a legacy bug from 2017
There was outcry in 2010 when we discovered AI times were all simulated...now we heading back towards that perhaps.

FRACTURED said:
jrod22145 said:
There was outcry in 2010 when we discovered AI times were all simulated...now we heading back towards that perhaps.
In my experience it would seem so...for all the improvements they've made it seems like they need to revamp the ai to accommodate said changes...I've noticed things in my game and on YouTube that seem to be a product of the ai's programing and inability to adapt to current circumstances...i.e. Hamilton running middle compound in Q2 all the time in like season 3 where Merc are lower midfield teams at best...or the ai having perfect grip after safety cars even when there's no way they have the carcass temps to support it...if you miss Q2 or Q3 the ai revert to original car performance so I've seen pole times that are 3 seconds slower than the 16th place time that got me knocked out and a midfield Merc front row lockout followed by Ferrari then red bull...

In conclusion it seems like they need to work on the ai and how they handle the time that does get simulated when you either accelerate time or skip/miss sessions