Jump to content Jump to content

[PC] Tips for Diagnosing Frame Stalls During Races

Hoo

• Codemasters Staff
Hi @xdannil - that's great news. I'd be really interested to know if Rapid Mode was a factor in causing your issue. Do you have any desire to turn it back on again and see if the stuttering comes back? 

Since my last post I’ve run the sound through my gfx card instead of the motherboard and the game has improved dramatically. Still have some micro stutter and the odd stall(0.2s), but it is loads better. 

Hoo said:
Hi @xdannil - that's great news. I'd be really interested to know if Rapid Mode was a factor in causing your issue. Do you have any desire to turn it back on again and see if the stuttering comes back? 
Ok, I tested to reenable Rapid Mode, and ran two laps. I had one lag for about 0.3 s, but now I'm in P2 for the same career. It seems to be somewhere in between of the best and the worst. Even before I didn't do very many laps, though, so I will try it out some more and see if I come to a pattern when I have the time. I'll tell you when I have something more about it.

@Hoo
Now I have tried 10 laps with Rapid Mode on, and 10 laps with Rapid Mode off. For both I did 10 ordinary laps (no practice program) in P2 at Baku in my career.

Rapid Mode on: 4 severe lags (on the straights lyckily) and some microstuttering that I didn't count.
Rapid Mode off: 1 severe lag and a lot less microstuttering. Important though, I'm not sure that the characteristics of the lag was exactly the same. It was more like a drop in framerate than all of the previous which were more of a total freeze, so my guess is that it was actually caused by something else.

For me it seems quite clear at the moment. I will play with Rapid Mode off from now on.

My rig: i7-3820 3.6GHz, 8 Gb RAM, 64 bit Win10, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500Gb with firmware EMT03B6Q, Logitech Driving Force GT.

Hello @all.
I have the same stuttering issue since 2 or 3 months.
I tried a lot of things. I updated all my drivers. I uninstall the game (and delete savegame).
I install the game new on another harddrive.
I updated my Samsung SSD drivers (the rapid mode btw is always off).
I uninstalled the nvidia GPU drivers and after a restart i install the new one. 
Nothing changes for me, still have the stuttering. (Austria, Bahrain, Baku, Monaco and a lot other tracks).
So i set the texture streaming to 0.
It runs a bit smoother yet but i have still stuttering during the races. I tried at least a fps cap to 70 fps and vsync on, everything runs fine. What is interesting if i set the fps cap to max, the stuttering is back.

Windows 10 64 Bit
Gtx 1080 ti aorus with Powerlimit 150%
AMD Ryzen 2700x
16 GB Ram

Sorry for my bad english, maybe one of the codemasters team is speaking german so i can better help.

Hello guys. I upgraded my whole system except for my GPU (GTX 1060 6GB). The most notable changes regarding this game are CPU: i5 4460 -> Ryzen 5 2600 and PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 520W -> 620W. I ran a test race on my notoriously laggy Montreal, and I didn't get any noteworthy stutter. I will keep testing for some time to see if it stays like it.

Since my last post I've done a career race in Spain with no real issues. Not changed anything.
 Now at Monaco and the game is unplayable.  Stalls all around the circuit other than on the start/finish straight.
I know my GFX card can cope, and even though my cpu is above the minimum specs I am wondering if this is the culprit and it just can't cope.

Ok. I still get lags in Multiplayer, so maybe Rapid Mode ON or OFF does not make a difference. Or it is a part of the problem...

What I noticed now in MP season at China was that lags ocurred in P and in R when it was raining. In Q and good wearher everything was fine.

@Hoo Are you still working on a solution that causes the stuttering ? Unfortunately, the problem still exists and it varies from track to track. 

• Codemasters Staff
@Gamiga - we are still looking into this issue. Unfortunately, it is made difficult by different causes of the issue, many being unique to certain users' setups. We are currently trying to build a PC that will hopefully have stuttering so that we can investigate further (using similar setups to those reported in this thread). Unfortunately, we haven't yet found a setup that exhibits this problem, but we are still trying. 

From your post above, it looks like you were able to solve this by capping the frame rate. I would suggest capping frame rate without v-sync on too and see if you can get this to an acceptable frame rate that does not stutter.

If you wish to help diagnose the issue further, try running the game with uncapped frame rate (so it will stutter) with a profiler attached, such as GPU-Z, and see if the output it gives helps point to a cause of the problem. There should be info about all of this on the first page of this thread to help you work through the different techniques for providing further information.

I am at a loss. I have now lifted all the limits and drove a complete race in China with changeable weather conditions and nothing went wrong. I will continue to test and report the log from GPU-Z as soon as there are abnormalities.

Hoo said:
@Gamiga - we are still looking into this issue. Unfortunately, it is made difficult by different causes of the issue, many being unique to certain users' setups. We are currently trying to build a PC that will hopefully have stuttering so that we can investigate further (using similar setups to those reported in this thread). Unfortunately, we haven't yet found a setup that exhibits this problem, but we are still trying. 

From your post above, it looks like you were able to solve this by capping the frame rate. I would suggest capping frame rate without v-sync on too and see if you can get this to an acceptable frame rate that does not stutter.

If you wish to help diagnose the issue further, try running the game with uncapped frame rate (so it will stutter) with a profiler attached, such as GPU-Z, and see if the output it gives helps point to a cause of the problem. There should be info about all of this on the first page of this thread to help you work through the different techniques for providing further information.
You should put an Nvidia card in it perhaps. A 1060 or a 1080, perhaps both (not at the same time).

I'll be rebuilding with 17763.134 & AMD 18.11.1 today, so we'll see. 

Hoo said:

You should put an Nvidia card in it perhaps. A 1060 or a 1080, perhaps both (not at the same time).

I'll be rebuilding with 17763.134 & AMD 18.11.1 today, so we'll see. 
So, the 'lost focus' bug remains. I even disabled Steam cloud sync before installing. 

I also got the locked to 60FPS bug first run but I didn't use the Steam FPS counter.

Pretty much the basic benchmark test I do at Australia shows absolutely no difference to patch 1.12, driver 18.10.1 and W10 1803. (1080 High preset, Dry conditions and Cycle cam)

The framerates were better on average during builds 1.08 thru 1.10 (120-122FPS) but there's been no more than +5% average difference since release and it's on a median figure right now (118). The low (96) has barely changed save an oddity on 1.08 (90) which seems to conflict with the higher averages. The high is pretty much hitting the monitor refresh at 144 (with Freesync and V-Sync off it's in the 150s)

So, nothing to see here. I could do the GPU-Z logging at different frame caps but do I use the Adrenaline FPS Limiter, the in-game one or just lower the monitor sync and leave V-SYNC on? 

• Codemasters Staff
I would suggest starting out by just capping the frame rate with the in-game option, turning v-sync off and freesync on. Start by capping this low (below the 90fps low that you were getting) and then notch it up if it looks stable. 

Hoo said:
I would suggest starting out by just capping the frame rate with the in-game option, turning v-sync off and freesync on. Start by capping this low (below the 90fps low that you were getting) and then notch it up if it looks stable. 
OK let me play with the DX12 Beta for a bit first.  :p

• Codemasters Staff
A bit of a long shot, but might be worth anyone having this issue trying out the DX12 beta if they have suitable systems: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/141667/the-f1-2018-dx12-beta. 

As this uses a different rendering path and drivers, this may have an impact on this issue. If you do try out the DX12 beta, please update this thread and let us know if the frame stalls still occurred.

Hoo said:
A bit of a long shot, but might be worth anyone having this issue trying out the DX12 beta if they have suitable systems: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/141667/the-f1-2018-dx12-beta. 

As this uses a different rendering path and drivers, this may have an impact on this issue. If you do try out the DX12 beta, please update this thread and let us know if the frame stalls still occurred.
Can you fix the Fullscreen bug please? DX12 won't show any benefit if the output is scaled to a non-standard resolution, it's comparing apples to oranges. 

All the game faults are still there to cause the issue to be a major problem, the lost focus bug and the 2017/18 60FPS lock (workaround is ALT-TAB in DX11), which triggers the one bug that you've stated with this DX12 build.

I don't believe the 60FPS lock issue was there in F1 2016 but the lost focus bug has been around seemingly since the dawn of time. It's quite astounding that jumping the game in and out focus seems to randomly cause and / or fix so many issues.

Fking finally!! As Kimi said it after winnning the USGP!!
I no longer get the annoying screen freezes anymore.
Here is how i fixed it after weeks of suffering: :s 

1, Windows power plan set to: Prefer maximum performance.
2, Download and install the Intelligent standby list cleaner (Made by the group who makes the DDU software. )
(Download link: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1256&sid=8f18567914bea3193d4d339b81b2a775)
3, Make sure to start the memory cleaner before starting up the game! Also do a memory cleaning before it.
4, Download MSI Afterburner, install it, then go to the rivatuner settings and lock your fps to your screen. For example if you have a 60hz monitor 60fps, 144hz - 144fps and so on..
5, Enable vsync in your game.
That's it.. Im happy.  Game plays smooth as it should be from the start.

ATSSHD said:
Fking finally!! As Kimi said it after winnning the USGP!!

2, Download and install the Intelligent standby list cleaner (Made by the group who makes the DDU software. )
(Download link: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1256&sid=8f18567914bea3193d4d339b81b2a775)
3, Make sure to start the memory cleaner before starting up the game! Also do a memory cleaning before it.
4, Download MSI Afterburner, install it, then go to the rivatuner settings and lock your fps to your screen. For example if you have a 60hz monitor 60fps, 144hz - 144fps and so on..

Points 4 and 5 make no sense? If you enable V-Sync, you are automatically limited to your monitor's refresh rate. Also setting a frame limit at the refresh rate without V-Sync will create terrible tearing. I use 65 FPS for 60 Hz and the tearing is not that visible. Also V-Sync with a wheel is a big no-no. So much input lag.

Happy it works for you just wanted to clarify the last 2 steps.

• Codemasters Staff
@ATSSHD - I'd be interested to know what happens if instead of doing steps 4 and 5 whether you just lock the frame rate using the in-game setting? Also, is the stuttering fixed after step 3, or does it require you to lock the frame rate?

I know it's makes a bit of nonsense, but if you only use vsync your game will have frametime spikes. MSI Afterburner is much better for that and you get constant 16.6 ms frames for example if you use a 60hz monitor. If i only use the ingame vsync without the fps lock in afterburner my game is still getting the same frame freezes that i had before.
+ I use the ingame vsync beacuse i dont get the tearing.

I don't use the ingame fps lock, it doesn't work for me. Also if i enable it at 60 i get 57 fps if i lock ingame at 80 i get 77 and so on. = Frame freezing and tearing.
Thats why i used afterburner and did the trick!

I write down my specs again maybe someone with a similar pc or similar issue find the solution useful:
Ryzen 5 1600
GTX 1060 
2x4 GB 3000 MHz HpyerX  RAM

ATSSHD said:
**** finally!! As Kimi said it after winnning the USGP!!

I'm also not going to be implementing this 'fix'.There's no way you should have to set your power plan to not having a power plan.

As for RAM cleaners, my word are we really back in the days of 640KB DOS? I think not. I have respect for Wagnardsoft's DDU but this utility should not be necessary.

Also think that the input lag attached to V-SYNC is the issue why we can't run low (i.e. 60FPS) refresh rates. It's a definite thing if I play at 100FPS average as opposed to 60FPS. 

The problem is windows. Other games have this issue too..

Windows is not releasing the ram properly and holding it in.
Search it up in reddit or watch youtube videos about it, and you will see those game freezes when people playing bf1,bf5,pubg etc. Even in the latest 1809 build, the bug is still not fixed by Microsoft.

Some people have this issue and going crazy like me, and others have no issues. No idea why..

ATSSHD said:
I know it's makes a bit of nonsense, but if you only use vsync your game will have frametime spikes. MSI Afterburner is much better for that and you get constant 16.6 ms frames for example if you use a 60hz monitor. If i only use the ingame vsync without the fps lock in afterburner my game is still getting the same frame freezes that i had before.

I don't use the ingame fps lock, it doesn't work for me. Also if i enable it at 60 i get 57 fps if i lock ingame at 80 i get 77 and so on. = Frame freezing and tearing.

I write down my specs again maybe someone with a similar pc or similar issue find the solution useful:
Ryzen 5 1600
GTX 1060 
I agree that that the in-game FPS lock is not really accurate. I use RTSS as well. May I ask you what kind of a PSU do you have?

I suffer from no lag problems at all when running the game.

As soon as a load a cgame capture software, I get random freezes in the game, always at the same corners of the track. 

It does not affect me on any other game at all Just F1 2018.

• Codemasters Staff
Savajay said:

As soon as a load a cgame capture software, I get random freezes in the game, always at the same corners of the track. 

Please could you let us know which specific piece of software you are running that causes these problems? Thanks.

Hoo said:
Savajay said:

Please could you let us know which specific piece of software you are running that causes these problems? Thanks.
AMD ReLive!, Nvidia Shadowplay, OBS - if you could fix those, that gives both the red and green teams a couple of options each.

People use Twitch and YouTube to stream - again, it's a couple of options that cover mostly everyone.

Hoo said:
Savajay said:

FBX Game Recorder I find gives me best performance of all game recording software.

Savajay said:
Hoo said:
Savajay said:

FBX Game Recorder I find gives me best performance of all game recording software.
Will take a look at this, thanks.

Savajay said:
Hoo said:
Savajay said:

Will take a look at this, thanks.
I can produce some gameplay for you if you require it.

SoloWingX said:
ATSSHD said:

Ryzen 5 1600
GTX 1060 
I agree that that the in-game FPS lock is not really accurate. I use RTSS as well. May I ask you what kind of a PSU do you have?
EVGA 450 W BR, bought it like a month ago.

ATSSHD said:
SoloWingX said:
ATSSHD said:

Ryzen 5 1600
GTX 1060 
EVGA 450 W BR, bought it like a month ago.
Before I upgraded I had a lot of lag spikes. I had a Seasonic 520W PSU paired with an older PC (i5 4460, 1060 6GB, 8GB RAM), but no visible bottleneck on F1 2018. Now I have a similar PC to yours (Ryzen 2600, 1060 6GB, 16GB RAM), BUT I also bought a new PSU, Seasonic 620W. I no longer get these lag spikes. Might be correlated. F1 2018 might need more overhead? I know that F1 2017 was the first game that indicated the failure of my even older PSU... So I see some trend there. To get to the bottom of this I would experiment with changing the PSU if you have some money you can "throw away" or lend a stronger PSU from a friend if you can. I have a strong feeling it's a big factor.

@Hoo I guess you guys have a lot of hardware hanging around. Have you experimented with some lower wattage PSUs? Because as we can see, strong CPUs and GPUs are getting this problem, while sometimes weaker PCs have no such problems. So it can't be that. But what power supply it's paired with... that is something we rarely ask. Maybe your engine needs more overhead to provide smooth gameplay...

As I said after I upgraded I no longer have this problem, the game is a LOT of FUN, I tell you. I just... want to help solve it, because everyone should get the chance to enjoy this game :) And I have a hunch this could be something.

Tomorrow i upgrade my ram to 16GB from 8 idk it's going to mean anything..

FX6300 OC'd to 4.2 GHZ, 1050Ti too by +150 core & 500 mhz memory w 16GB ddr3 memory i was able to run the game on med-high settings without issues and the psu was a cheap 400w chieftec which is 7 years old. ( This was somewhere at release.)

Now i have the listed ryzen build.

• Codemasters Staff
Hoo said:
Savajay said:

AMD ReLive!, Nvidia Shadowplay, OBS - if you could fix those, that gives both the red and green teams a couple of options each.

People use Twitch and YouTube to stream - again, it's a couple of options that cover mostly everyone.
Do you know if these actually cause problems with stuttering at the moment? Our broadcast team use OBS, so this should be working fine (or certainly used to be working fine), unless there are certain combinations of kit and capture settings that are problematic.

• Codemasters Staff
SoloWingX said:
@Hoo I guess you guys have a lot of hardware hanging around. Have you experimented with some lower wattage PSUs? Because as we can see, strong CPUs and GPUs are getting this problem, while sometimes weaker PCs have no such problems. So it can't be that. But what power supply it's paired with... that is something we rarely ask. Maybe your engine needs more overhead to provide smooth gameplay...

As I said after I upgraded I no longer have this problem, the game is a LOT of FUN, I tell you. I just... want to help solve it, because everyone should get the chance to enjoy this game :) And I have a hunch this could be something.
I had previously suggested this, but it wasn't well received. Our Compliance team are very particular about configuring their rigs with appropriate sets of components and weren't keen on deliberately running with inadequate power supplies. 

artworx said:
450 watt psu is not enough.
i replaced mine with a 750 watt.
most of the stutters are gone.
now i have or network lag, or the the lag spikes when you hit a curb or something.
but those 2 a minor spikes.
How is it not enough? lol
I can run fine every game on High/Ultra, i only have problems with the F1  game.

Midrange pc doesnt even use over 350 W when under full load.

Hoo said:
Hoo said:
Savajay said:

Do you know if these actually cause problems with stuttering at the moment? Our broadcast team use OBS, so this should be working fine (or certainly used to be working fine), unless there are certain combinations of kit and capture settings that are problematic.

I find OBS less demanding (i.e. it sucks less performance away from the FPS). Shadowplay and ReLive! are the "lazy / easy" options as they're built into the driver (unless you go to the trouble of removing them, particularly since Nvidia introduced the black box / telematic installs).

AMD at least chain ReLive! onto the install so you can just restart and it doesn't require you to sign in to use the feature.

ATSSHD said:
artworx said:
now i have or network lag, or the the lag spikes when you hit a curb or something.
How is it not enough? lol
I can run fine every game on High/Ultra, i only have problems with the F1  game.

Midrange pc doesnt even use over 350 W when under full load.
Peak power can be a lot higher than the quoted draw. Also, CPUs can use a lot of power, people confuse TDP with actual power but that's just the amount of heat power that should be dissipated by the thermal solution to avoid a heat blowout. A rule of thumb is 1.5x the TDP, (which the CPU should not exceed or it will not cool properly).

artworx said:
I have a 750w and have stutters

Hoo said:
SoloWingX said:

I had previously suggested this, but it wasn't well received. Our Compliance team are very particular about configuring their rigs with appropriate sets of components and weren't keen on deliberately running with inadequate power supplies. 
Well, that's quite unprofessional... There is a wide range of hardware your company is making games for, one would think that the team tries to make sure it runs well on non enthusiast-grade hardware... There's a high probability this problem is caused by the peak power-hunger of your software, so I'd advise you to try to convince them to at least test it. Inadequate PSU for them might be a good conventional PSU for us...

Any of you users with stuttering get coil whine? Just an indication that it may well be that the PSU is struggling to put out the power needed to run the card effectively. 

If the PSU is not modular or you are using adapters to supply the PCI-E power then consider changing the way you chain things or what is connected to which rail. If you don't know what a rail is, then maybe it is time to take some advice on a new PSU.

i really tryed everything (cpu-z, GPU-z, cpu stressers, GPU stressers, for me now it works BUT there are some usual lag spikes due to curbs or a special corner.
this is not due to a low spec system, its more that the game is somehow little bit buggy.

but for some of the people here, Reading is a major problem.
those “some” people just wanna get help the easy way without even testing.

dont get me wrong, the game is not 100% flawless.
but for some people there system is also not 100%.

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived