Jump to content Jump to content

So, the single player AI. It's still terrible.

Did some single player Endurance races this evening - and remembered how utterly infuriating the AI is. We've had various patches now and yet the AI is still blind to your progress - and will merrily plough straight into you if you (for example) spin on the racing line, even if they're five hundred yards away!

They're utterly crazy into first corners - braking unnecessarily early and either kamikaze throwing themselves towards the apex or crashing into each other. They appear to be unable to see you if they're behind you - and use you as their braking zone. Some of the 'teams' are just completely insane in races (Kicker!) and some of the cars swerve all over the track if you're approaching to overtake.

It completely ruins the single player experience and I can't be the only one feeling like this. PLEASE can we get the AI looked at in a forthcoming patch?

Customers (myself included) have been posting on this forum about Grid AutoSport's ridiculously crash-tastic AI drivers almost since the game was released nearly 5 months ago.

Unfortunately, the game has been plagued with more critical game-breaking defects (like corrupt saves, and now frequent freezes/lock-ups), which might have drawn already-insufficient resources away from addressing anything else on the game's long list of significant issues.

Personally, my expectations of CodeMasters are so low at this point that I doubt they'll ever release a game that is fully functional at launch, let alone sufficiently patched at any point post-launch.

My expectations of CM are low to a point that I'd never buy anything from them again.
Even if PCars was a CM title I couldn't get excited by it.
In my eyes they are a tarnished brand. I've learned a lot in the past five months, much of which makes great learning material for my own marketing team at work.

Codies should have a look at the Grand Prix 4 AI (from 2002, mind you). I think it is still the best out there, the most realistic. Defends well (picks the inside line in a well-timed manner), attacks well, avoids your car most of the time, etc.

It's ONLY minor deficiency is that it can't decide if an overtake attempt is worth it, i. e. will break out of your slipstream to go side-by-side even it does not have the speed difference to be ahead by the braking zone.

The only thing Codies made extremely good in this AI is how it does cutbacks, that's just insane how smartly it judges you outbraked yourself and cuts back on you. I dread it every time I pass an AI car; just trying to make my apex speed as low as possible to prevent the cutback. It's extremely good.

But otherwise...

The biggest problem is, as Strategist laid it out, the AI does not seem to recognise you being there, mostly in side-by-side situations. In Touring that goes, because that's contact sport, but Endurance and Open Wheel is anything but. It's even more frustrating that Codies specifically say in preview videos something along the lines of how 'only the slightest contect can ruin your race in Open Wheel.' It's not THAT contact-y as Touring, but it still is to an exaggerated level. And I don't like it. It's not like the exaggerated car peculiarities, it's just plainly frustrating.
Tbh I don't mind the ai, in the end of the day, its not iRacing, its Grid, and I'd rather the ai jostled for position, bumped you around a bit and shut the door rather than moving out of your way as soon as you stick the end of your nose anywhere near their rear axles. I find it intense and inkeeping with the rest of the game.

Perhaps an agression slider could be introduced, as I assume that agression is just worked out as a coefficient of some algorithm, which shouldn't be too hard for the player to change

doyley101 said:
Tbh I don't mind the ai, in the end of the day, its not iRacing, its Grid, and I'd rather the ai jostled for position, bumped you around a bit and shut the door rather than moving out of your way as soon as you stick the end of your nose anywhere near their rear axles. I find it intense and inkeeping with the rest of the game.

Perhaps an agression slider could be introduced, as I assume that agression is just worked out as a coefficient of some algorithm, which shouldn't be too hard for the player to change
neither do I I agree that it is maybe a touch aggressive here and there but it's not too bad the only times I find it can be a bit annoying is in the street events.  Generally though I don't find it too bad. Kicker and Ravenwest have a tendency to take it to the Nth degree but generally it's OK I think

I just ran a couple of custom cups in the Street discipline on permanent circuits and the AI was great - I almost never played Street races earlier, only time attacks, so this was a nice surprise.

So the above problems only affect Endurance and Open Wheel.