Sign in to follow this  

warming tryes

In f1 2014 I keep getting messages from my engineer that my rear tyres are cold and need warming up.  Any driving tips on how to do this please (and please don't say to weave all over the track like the drivers do in the warm up.  I am referring to a real life tactic that drivers might use to warm their tyres in a race (they don't and are not allowed to weave during a race in front of chasing cars).  

Do you accelerate in a lower gear to achiever more wheel spin for instance or will that just over rev the engine without warming the tyres/  Or do you simply have to be harsher with the throttle?

Any advice would be most welcome - preferably by people who know what they are talking about rather than 12 year olds with groundless  opinions :P 

quickly spinning the tyres is an option to use but you need to "control the spin at a high rev the then quickly shift up. It's a great tactic to use if you can master the timing of it. Coming out of a corner at a higher rpm will also offer a "slow tyre spin" that will also keep heat in the rears to offer more grip. Just remember to feather the throttle so you don't start trying to do donuts. Hope that helps.

I have the same problem.
Rancie said:

quickly spinning the tyres is an option to use but you need to "control the spin at a high rev the then quickly shift up. It's a great tactic to use if you can master the timing of it. Coming out of a corner at a higher rpm will also offer a "slow tyre spin" that will also keep heat in the rears to offer more grip. Just remember to feather the throttle so you don't start trying to do donuts. Hope that helps.

High revs and trying to create wheelspin without drifting off-track is easy on a pad, quite hard on a steering wheel without assists. You will have higher wear of your tyres when you start doing this. But being even more harsh with the throttle will only cause less grip.

Correct. It's a delicate manuever. But if you can master it, it's quite useful. I use a wheel and find it quite easy to do as I'm use to doing it. With the tyre wear being scripted I haven't had a problem with uneven tyre wear.

Yes, thanks guys.  My intuition that higher revs is the way forward seems to be correct, as you confirm, and I note your caveat that this may, of course, cause higher tyre wear.  Of course an alternative may be to mute the engineer so I can't hear him nagging me :P

Rancie said:
Correct. It's a delicate manuever. But if you can master it, it's quite useful. I use a wheel and find it quite easy to do as I'm use to doing it. With the tyre wear being scripted I haven't had a problem with uneven tyre wear.

Never got why ppl say they scripted to go off at lap x so nothing can do! In my experience they are scripted to last x amount of laps but I have no trouble going past this if I dont light the rears up or put to much load on the fronts or vice versa if im far to agressive they will wear very quick and ill have to make another stop. My point is they may only last 20 laps but driving style will defo affect the wear on the tyres imo. Not sure what to say to op as on my x360 the tyres are always optimal (unless going through corners) even as I exit the pit they perfect most times :( defo a bug! If the op is only having this problem on tracks like monza, spa, yas marina then this is normal as the tyres will loose temps on long straights but shouldnt be happening at tracks with lots of corners and traction zones. You on pc by any chance op? remember a thread about this few weeks back and asked what platform they were on and all who were having the problem were on pc.

This may sound crass but, if we're talking about tire temps in a race, there isn't much you should do.  Just drive as fast as you can, if the tires aren't keeping warm, you aren't pushing hard enough.   Anything to intentionally warm the tires that doesn't give you lap time is just burning up your tires, which is always a bad move.

Also note, the tire temp messages in 2014 suck, in china near the end of T1 I get a tire temp message almost every lap...  The messages don't take the track itself into consideration, it's not possible for you to keep the tires at the perfect temperature around an entire lap, the temps in game fluctuate too much and seem to only reflect the temp of the tire surface.  I wouldn't pay them much attention, just monitor the temps yourself with the status screen.  In fact generally the engineer messages are just useless, except for the ones about rain I'd ignore them all.