Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strict penalties totally broken

I don't understand why CM doesn't delay the penalty. Why not waiting till the sector ends and than compare the last sector time with the average before. In this case you could clearly see if anyone gain or lose time due to exceeding the track limits.
The "just in case" penalty is the same like for yellow flags. For example there is an accident in corner one. Two cars have to stop behind to avoid a crash, but the other cars can drive around the accidents like it willl be done in real life. Due to the immediately yellow flag you will get a warning for illegal overtake and you have to give back the position. This is crap.
In worst case the car you have to let go through has stopped. Therefore you should completely stop and wait for the car or you have to deal with the penalty. I think it's not like in real life. Look at the F1 race in France and the first corner accident with Vettel. How many cars drive around, also outside the track limits but nobody got a penalty.

Akkan74 said:
I don't understand why CM doesn't delay the penalty. Why not waiting till the sector ends and than compare the last sector time with the average before. In this case you could clearly see if anyone gain or lose time due to exceeding the track limits.
It is not that simple, the game is now strictly detecting that the car has cutted "line" and gives a penalty, ehm warning. 
Your sector time idea is good, but it is complicated, lets say there might be turn, where you lost something, but you cut the next turn and got it back - so sector is too big for comparing time, so the track has to be cutted to microsectors and then, if game detects the player cutted the line, then check the time gained ... and then give him time to give that gained time back. But, it is a complete rewrite, we can only hope it will come in next years.

Sorry but I think that completely removing penalties for repeated warnings is a terrible solution. What's the point of warnings without consequence? ''Hey you, consistently breaking the rules, I'm warning you, if you do that again I'll.. I'll give you another warning!''... That'll teach them.
Hehehe :lol: Yes, you are right on that, that will teach them. :lol: I simply doubt we have a better solution in that short time frame, as CM will want to leave this game soon to work on next year's version (and leave this year game unfixed as every year).
I mean sure, the penalties were harsh on small mistakes, but there must be better solutions. For example, why not 'clear' one of the warnings after one or two clean laps? That way people wouldn't be punished for small mistakes over a longer period of time but couldn't get away with going over the edge consistently. Or else simply improve the amount of warnings needed for a penalty.
Well, it is interisting idea. But there are already problems with counting penalties (to other players if it changes position) and removing some of the warnings after some time/lap will create another dimension of that problems. Also warnings are not synced in the time they were given to other players and I am afraid it would be a total mess in results as multiplayer is simply the most unfinished part of the game (example : some warning removed somewhere, while somewhere not ... somewhere = game/client/player).

But I agree, it is not a great or a good solution. It is just a hotfix as everything. But I am happy we can race and solve the race on the track.

Well, let's see if this is normal:

1º. Danhei1471. 9 warnings per curve cut. 0 sec penalty
2º. Juizziko11. 4 warnings per curve cut. 0 sec penalty
3º. McL_Gadir 14 warnings per curve cut. 0 sec of penalty

Can we say that strict curve cutting works well? Ok, so perfect. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgJAvSoGWgo

I am sorry but my question is still the same: why we can choose strict rules if they aren't strict

What Codemasters must do is improve their analysis system of the race to don't penalize some circumstances.

But don't forget that there is a lot of "gamers" that are going to take advantage of this situation. And then what will be evident for us is that cheaters will be not punished like must be 

I think it's quite clear that Codemasters has been wrong because the most sensible thing was to have set normal rules instead of strict in qualifying races, that would have been a logical and quick solution but with the solution that the leagues have put online are now a chaos since the strict rules do not work in any way

Hi all,

To reiterate, it’s just for minor warnings, like going off track a little and where you won’t really have gotten an advantage. If you cut an entire corner or go over a chicane, you should still be seeing penalties.

Thanks for all the feedback, I’m sending this back to the team for them to take a look at.

Faya said:

... minor warnings ... where you won’t really have gotten an advantage....

Hi @Faya,
just an idea on what you've just said, please correct me if I am wrong.
Is that given warning just a detection of cutting the track? Or is it also about gaining time with that cut?
Are you saying: "player havent got an advantage and game knows that and is giving only a warning for leaving the track boundaries"?
If we really havent got any time advantage and it is just a cutting the line / leaving the track boundaries AND the game knows it (I read your reply that way) ... What about not giving that warning(s) in race? IMHO It still should invalidate a hot lap in qualification and time trials, but no in race if it is not about gaining time.
In real F1 racing only cutting with gaining time is against rules in race (lets forget for simplicity some turns like 19 in USA).

Secondary idea : If it is not accurate and player actually can gain some advantage (which I mostly doubt), then what about making it optional with session settings and let decide the host if he want to give a penalty for repeated warnings?

(both still as a hotfix, hoping for better solution in next years)

Hi @Faya
can you please answer the question from my previous post?
I also have new question / suggestion : if in ranked sessions, the penalty is not given, why are they given in non ranked sessions? Please make the rules same for both types of sessions, or make it switchable in host settings.

The worst thing of all is that in the races with classification the rules of the room are strict but it is totally false. The most ridiculous of all is that Bugmasters says that the game recognizes when there is an intentional curve cut, they will think that we are stupid to know that that is a lie

Faya said:

Hi all,

To reiterate, it’s just for minor warnings, like going off track a little and where you won’t really have gotten an advantage. If you cut an entire corner or go over a chicane, you should still be seeing penalties.

Thanks for all the feedback, I’m sending this back to the team for them to take a look at.

I still find that I get warnings where I've made a mistake and ran wide over kerbs when clearly I've lost time and not gained anything from it - nowhere near as bad as F12017 though

Let's just say this for @SmiX and @Turtlemoose that warnings where you don't gain time are normal for strict rules as the strict rules are not the realistic ones, because the stewards in real life are far from strict. If you only want to get a penalty when you gain time, then the 'Normal' setting should be used.

E: After all, the strict ruleset has only been a thing since an update for F1 2015.

@UP100 Thanks, but if the "normal" is the best way to play, why it is not used in ranked??? Because normal is NOT usable, as players are able to cut corners and gain plenty of time without getting penalties (we run a season on normal and we don't want to do that anymore).
Anyway, I am reporting different standards of one rule in two types of sessions - in ranked, the penalty for repeated warnings is not given, while in unranked (with strict corner cutting) the penalty is given. Also @Faya said, game knows that we are not gaining time by leaving the track and that's why it was disabled in ranked sessions, but then it doesn't make any sense to have a different set of rules in unranked/ranked, while both have "same" strict rules.
Leaving the track detection on strict corner cutting rules works like it should be in TT (and I think it was created against cheaters in TT), but totally should not be used in race - maybe in qualification, but if we are not gaining time, why should it be even there?
Anyway, (everybody) ask yourself a simple question, why there are two standards just for one rule? I have no answer for that.
Faya said:

Hi all,

Otherwise, if the player can gain a time, then players in ranked are cheating, as they don't get the penalties for repeated warnings and we are back at the problem of two standards with one ("same") corner cutting setting.

SmiX said:
@UP100 Thanks, but if the "normal" is the best way to play, why it is not used in ranked???
Because the community asked for strict, and that's what they got.

UP100 said:
Let's just say this for @SmiX and @Turtlemoose that warnings where you don't gain time are normal for strict rules as the strict rules are not the realistic ones, because the stewards in real life are far from strict. If you only want to get a penalty when you gain time, then the 'Normal' setting should be used.

E: After all, the strict ruleset has only been a thing since an update for F1 2015.
In otherwords: Cut the corners and you will get away with it, make a mistake and run wide whilst losing time and you receive a warning?

UP100 said:
SmiX said:
@UP100 Thanks, but if the "normal" is the best way to play, why it is not used in ranked???
Because the community asked for strict, and that's what they got.
Yes, because normal allows massive corner cutting without penalties, that's why community wanted something more strict. But current implementation of strict corner cutting is based on TT cheat detection, which makes it is useless in racing. Yes, it is part of the problem, but again, the main problem is current inconsistency in one rule with two different results in ranked and unranked sessions.