F1 2018 PC - Game Crashing

Question

Greetings, 

My frustration has peaked and I find myself posting here as I am out of ideas on how to alleviate the crashing from this game when I am playing. I bought F1 2018 on Steam when it was on sale last week and while I really enjoy the game when I am able to play it, the constant crashing is ruining the overall experience for me. It's now at the point where I no longer want to play this awesome game until I find a fix because it's not worth the loss of time, frustration and heartache.

I own and played a lot of F1 2017 and never had this issue. I also play other games that are quite taxing on both the CPU and GPU like Arma 3, Yakuza 0, Killing Floor 2 and Witcher 3 without as much as a hiccup, let alone a crash. I am at the end of my wits on what is causing my game to crash on me, I will list my specs and what I've tried so far in hopes that someone (preferably a Codie) finds it in their heart to help me solve this so I can fully enjoy the F1 2018 experience. Thank you in advance!

My PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700K @ 4.0 with boost clock @ 4.5
Noctua NH D15 Cooler
Evga FTW 2 1080 GPU 2012/5000 (tried with and without OC to no avail)
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 32GB Ram (8gb x 4)
ROC Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha MB
Seagate Hybrid HD 1TB (game installed on this)
Crucial SSD 2 TB (OS and misc. on this - might install F1 2018 on this tonight..)
EVGA G3 1000 Watt PSU 
7 140mm Noctua NF-A14 3000 RPM Industrial Fans for PC case cooling
Monitor: AOC G2460PG 24" G-Sync, FHD (1920x1080) (I also switch to my TCL 50" 4K HDR TV for sofa gaming but only used it 1 time for this game thus far for a short time and had no issue)
Headphones: 7.1 Surround Hyper X Cloud 

Things I've tried:
Verifying game files.
Painstakingly checking that every driver for both software and hardware is up to date.
Disabling McAfee's "Real Time Scanning" and Firewall.
Changing Graphics from low, high and ultra.
Changing resolutions, windowed mode, windowed fullscreen and fullscreen.
Setting V-Sync off and on. 
Limiting refresh rates from 30, 60 and 143.
Turning off Xbox controller "trigger" rumble.
Turning off and on Ambient Osculation. 
Changing Advanced Sound settings for the CPU from Low, Medium and High.
Running GPU at default, running GPU with mild OC, running GPU with high OC.
Increased Voltage on GPU in increments of 10% up to 50% as well as Power Target from 100% up to 120% using various combinations with either OC or default.
Capping GPU FPS at 30 and 60 using Evga Precision X.
Nvidia Control panel - Adjust Image Settings set to "Let 3D application Decide" and "Use Advanced 3D settings"
Set GPU to "prefer maximum performance" in Nvidia control panel as well as using "Optimal" and "Adaptive". 
Went into Windows Power Settings and tried "balanced" and "high performance" for the CPU.
Using CCleaner, cleaned up the registry, defragged my HHD and all that good stuff.
Cleared Download Cache on Steam. 
Tried Talking to Jeff and not talking to Jeff/enabling mic/disabling mic. Using headphones or using my Logitech speakers.

Probably did more just not on the top of my head right now but I've been working for the last 3 days trying to troubleshoot this game and have got nowhere.

For some reason, during Practice I don't have nearly any crashes, they happen but are a lot less but come Qualifying and Race, they ramp up and happen around every 5 mins. There is no warning nor any correlation that I can find like "being near a car" or "jeff speaking on the radio". They happen at any time, I can be preparing for the race looking over my strategy and the game will crash or I can be racing on lap 15 and the game will crash. There is no rhyme or reason from what I can tell.

I've noticed a few times, the game will lag for a split second before it closes out back to Steam but that's as bout as much warning as I get. On Steam, it treats the crash like I closed it out myself, running Cloud Sync after each one and allowing me to instantly reboot it up. I've had games in the past crash and Steam usually hangs up with them, either not doing a sync or not allowing me to hit the "play" button until it finishes shutting down. It's weird. My crashes in F1 2018 are like someone hit the "close" button on my tab, it just closes out and that's that.I don't get any error messages or bug reports to submit, nothing. I will note that whenever I "Alt Tab" to my desktop then when I go back to the game, the screen is black and flickers a half dozen times or so before the game pops back up. It's much much worse when I used my 4K HDR TV, it flickers faster and will present the game up but it will be all pixelated and the colors are super saturated, lasting 5 or so seconds before returning to normal.

Anyways, I am at a loss here as to what to do. The last thing I am going to try is to reinstall on my OS SSD. I don't like to do this for the reason that SSD is for my OS for one and another, I have terrible internet now that I live in the middle of nowhere, so the 24GB or whatever this game is takes about 12 hours to download for me. Even if I could refund it (though the problems didn't show until hours later in Qual/Race anyways) I wouldn't because I like supporting you guys and the F1 trademark. I've loved all your games and have had some of the best times in gaming with them. From the brief playtime I've been able to have, I really enjoy the game. The career mode is a huge step in the right direction and excites me for next years game as there is a great foundation to build on now with this iteration. The cars feel the best yet and the racing is some of the best sim racing I've ever had believe it or not and I've been playing racing games for most of my gaming life starting with Gran Turismo back on PS1. 

I'd offer to send a bug report or something but the game doesn't give me one when I crash. I hope that with the information I've provided you that your able to help me out but if there is anything more you need, let me know and I'll get back to you ASAP. For now I am going to set this game aside sadly and pray that with your help I can find a fix so I can enjoy this title :D Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Cheers.

-ZeroAffex

EDIT: Forgot I also disabled GeForce overlay/shadowplay and Steam overlay as well as G-sync in Nvidia control panel.

9 answers to this question

Hi @ZeroAffex, Thanks for the detailed report!

Can I double check, did you check the Steam files for a crash report there? Would you also be able to find me your Steam ID number as that might help us investigate further. Many thanks!

How to find your Steam ID

1.      Click “Steam” in the top left corner of the client

2.      Select “Settings”

3.      In the Steam Settings popup select “Interface”

4.      Put a tick in the “Display Steam URL address bar when available” tickbox

5.      Close the popup by clicking “OK”

6.      In the Steam client click on your “Steam Name” and select “Profile”

7.      Your Steam User ID is the long number at the end of the displayed URL

How to find a crash dump

1.      Browse to the folder where you have Steam installed, usually this will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam

2.      Browse to the userdata folder and Search for *.zip or browse to through the numbered directories to the relevant remote directory.

3.      You should find a file named something like crash_dump#76561198061784954.zip

4.      Send that file to us at community(AT)codemasters.com (replacing the (AT) with an @ )

@Faya
Just wanted to let you know just encase but I did send you a private message with all my Steam information as well as an e-mail with the crash zip to the address you provided. Also, I played Arma 3 on Ultra/Near Max settings for about 2-3 hours last night and again this morning without any issues whatsoever. It's buttery smooth while it cooks my GPU and CPU :dizzy:which leads me to believe that the issue steams somewhere in the software side of my PC, whether it be the game or a program that is conflicting it, least that's my guess.  

I held off on installing this game on my SSD but am thinking I may as well try while I wait for an response from you cool cats just to see if it's an issue with it being on a traditional HD which I doubt but desperate times.. Anyways, I really appreciate you guys looking into this for me and hope that over the coming weeks with your help I can fix my game so I can at the very least finish my career as a Ferrari driver alongside my man Vettel. 

You guys rock! Keep up the hard work. Have a great week everyone! Cheers! 

-ZA

Yes, the same thing happens to me. The game closes alone without any warning and anywhere.

I have two PCs, one with the i7 processor 6700k and VGA GTX 980 Ti Zotac

Other with i5 processor 3570k and VGA GTX 980Ti Zotac.

The same problem occurs on both PCs. (Windows 10 PRO)

This started two weeks ago. I formatted both PCs and these drops continue to occur.

Faya said:

How to find a crash dump

1.      Browse to the folder where you have Steam installed, usually this will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam

2.      Browse to the userdata folder and Search for *.zip or browse to through the numbered directories to the relevant remote directory.

3.      You should find a file named something like crash_dump#76561198061784954.zip

4.      Send that file to us at community(AT)codemasters.com (replacing the (AT) with an @ )

Unfortunately for me there is no crash file, this is because there is no apparent flaw, no blue screen, error screen, nothing. The game simply closes alone, I've never seen it happen, nor does the Windows system detect error.

I have the same situation.  Game shuts down to desktop without any error message in all game modes.  All other games/software  run flawless on the machine. 

I7-8700k 3.7 CPU
Nvidia 2800TI GPU
32g 3200hz RAM

Previous F1 games have had issues with them not being installed on c: the same as windows.  I would try that.  Also are you running a cpu OC if so turn it off and keep the GPU OC off (this game doesn’t need it with a 1080).

Acerees said:
Previous F1 games have had issues with them not being installed on c: the same as windows.  I would try that.  Also are you running a cpu OC if so turn it off and keep the GPU OC off (this game doesn’t need it with a 1080).
Huh, weird. I think I have installed F1 2011, F1 2012, F1 2013, F1 2015, F1 2016, F1 2017 and F1 2018 all to my other drive at some point or another...

Were these issues resolved at all?

I have just migrated to PC from Xbox and experiencing the game crashing...

5 hours ago, Karzolia said:

Were these issues resolved at all?

I have just migrated to PC from Xbox and experiencing the game crashing...

Doesn't seem like they really care about any of these issues tbh