Sign in to follow this  

New structure at CM ?

Steve Hood (T4RG4) posted this on his twitter today in relation to the F1 race at Abu Dhabi -> https://twitter.com/T4RG4/status/536502273531478016

I wonder if this could be a new beginning for the F1 franchise at CM ?

mmpaw37 said:

To be quite honest, I think there is more to this than what is being displayed.

Steve Hood @T4RG4, a so called 'die hard' F1 fan, now moving on from CM and I assume the F1 series at CM...?

...things aren't looking good IMO...

Are we sure that CM have the F1 license for 2015 ? i reckon they didn't reveal the 2015 game name anything related to F1 when they revealed the news for 2015 in september...  together with the "Steve Hood" tweet it could make sense thats why he moves along?

mmpaw37 said:

To be quite honest, I think there is more to this than what is being displayed.

Steve Hood @T4RG4, a so called 'die hard' F1 fan, now moving on from CM and I assume the F1 series at CM...?

He hasn’t been full time on the F1 franchise for a while anyway, has he?

Hes only one part of the problem, if he is leaving then he might be jumping off the ship before it sinks, if they continue to produce bad games with huge flaws then it dont look good for the future. Lets hope it dont turn out that way. :) 

Bye Steve. We won't miss you.
If I were Steve, I would go to Project Cars and divulge on CM's AI secrets.

You really want Project Cars to crash, do you

Well the last few games haven't been very "creative" besides the classic content which has come and gone, so I doubt the loss of the "creative" director will affect anything.

He's probably resigned because he publicly blamed his staff for the games problems.

The guys not a bad bloke I don't think. It's just that he's never up front with anything which has given off an air of dishonesty around him.

The last F1 game was the least creative thing I've ever seen, so I don't understand why he would need to be there.

This is a good thing. Nothing was going to change with Hood at the helm. He had years to get it right and all he does is blame the technology available and the staff under him. Bit cowardly if you ask me.

TheHemps said:
He had years to get it right and all he does is blame the technology available [u]and the staff under him[/u]. Bit cowardly if you ask me.
It is a poor shepherd that blames his flock

Or maybe, he just feels like taking on a new project. The first F1 game was F1 2010, and that's because they skipped 2009. So probably, when Codemasters took on the license, we're talking around 2008. And I think that's when Steve Hood came on board. So he's been with the team for 6 years and 5 or 6 games (the 2009 Wii game and F1 race stars included). I'm in a creative profession as well and I find it in the best interest of both parties to switch projects after a while.

Steve put the F1 game on the map with F1 2010, which was a huge advancement since the last F1 game, and received great reviews and awards. Maybe he felt with the next-gen on the way, and the offer of a different company, that the time was right to move along, start brainstorming on a completely different game (or project) and let somebody else do the same at Codemasters to spark some new/fresh life in the series. 

Got a bit of a theory on this.

First off, I imagine Steve isn't a bad bloke (I didn't see where he blamed his team for the series' faults), but this does appear to be a good move for all parties. Steve appears to have been a victim of his refusal to listen to the fans, and the fact that he made the games he wanted, rather than what the fans wanted, and not give the fan choice, an example being the full race weekend. He didn't want it, it didn't go in, same with car failures etc. The introduction of the safety car was a highlight, even if it's implementation was and remains broken. His failure to fix a number of issues was also a defining point. I look forward to the games taking a different direction.

Now going back down his twitter timeline, he tweeted "If only there was an F1 manager game". Now we know Steve is a big F1 fan, and we know this was an aspect he was always keen on, so maybe, someone has thought to make an F1 Manager series, and Steve has gone for it. From a selfish point of view, I hope so, I'd love an F1 Manager game, even if Steve developed it!

Gav25182 said:

Got a bit of a theory on this.

First off, I imagine Steve isn't a bad bloke (I didn't see where he blamed his team for the series' faults), but this does appear to be a good move for all parties. Steve appears to have been a victim of his refusal to listen to the fans, and the fact that he made the games he wanted, rather than what the fans wanted, and not give the fan choice, an example being the full race weekend. He didn't want it, it didn't go in, same with car failures etc. The introduction of the safety car was a highlight, even if it's implementation was and remains broken. His failure to fix a number of issues was also a defining point. I look forward to the games taking a different direction.

Now going back down his twitter timeline, he tweeted "If only there was an F1 manager game". Now we know Steve is a big F1 fan, and we know this was an aspect he was always keen on, so maybe, someone has thought to make an F1 Manager series, and Steve has gone for it. From a selfish point of view, I hope so, I'd love an F1 Manager game, even if Steve developed it!

When asked if real racers could come in to the studio to give them tips on handling etc.... He replied something along the lines of ''We're good for that, it's the development staff we need''

You don't say things like that when you're happy with your staff.

I'm hoping this has positive effects for the F1 series. They've been working on F1 2015 (or whatever it will be called) for at least a few months, longer I'm sure, so I'm guessing that it won't have much impact on the 2015 game. I'm hoping though that we are eventually told some sort of reasons as to why he's no longer going to be Creative Director.

I thought I'd pop in and correct one thing. Never have I blamed the development team for anything. They've been brilliant for the series and have been wonderful to me during my time here. I'd work with them all anywhere (if they'd have me!). When I said we needed development staff I meant to fill the open roles we're seeking people for so I'm sorry if what I said left that open to interpretation. 

I'm fine with people speculating as to why I'm leaving, saying it's all my fault (whatever elements you didn't like) and so on, that kind of comes with the territory.

T4RG4 said:
I thought I'd pop in and correct one thing. Never have I blamed the development team for anything. They've been brilliant for the series and have been wonderful to me during my time here. I'd work with them all anywhere (if they'd have me!). When I said we needed development staff I meant to fill the open roles we're seeking people for so I'm sorry if what I said left that open to interpretation. 

I'm fine with people speculating as to why I'm leaving, saying it's all my fault (whatever elements you didn't like) and so on, that kind of comes with the territory.
Why in your time with codies has it been there policy to ignore us the customer when ever we have had a question? why have they never acknowledged the F1 games are bugged and need fixing? why can't codemasters be honest and say if there will not be a patch for F2014?

Codemasters is becoming a most hated company along with those that work or worked with them  because of the total lack of communication.

Gav25182 said:

Then again, yesterday he also tweeted about his 'research' involving a book about flying that he'd just received...

T4RG4 said:

We'll be fine, so long as you leave on a good note and get your boys to fix the erm.. traction thingy everyone but me goes on about.

Good luck with your Flight Simulator or "Codemasters Theft Auto" or whatever you're moving onto next. 

1 month and 8 days since launch.

And they are STILL DECIDING...

Seriously, this is just pathetic.

They are soooo lucky that consumer rights doesn't seem to apply to videogames.

I truly hope that their attitude will backfire somehow.

Joethe155 said:
I'm hoping this has positive effects for the F1 series. They've been working on F1 2015 (or whatever it will be called) for at least a few months
At least a few months?...LOL. Check out this CM article posted over 14 months ago where they claimed that they were "cooking up a storm."

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/f1_2013/news/codemasters_cooking_up_a_storm_for_f1_2014_on_ps4_and_xbox_one.html

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/codemasters-cooking-up-a-storm-for-f1-2014-on-xbox-one-and-ps4/#

aktisti said:
1 month and 8 days since launch.

And they are STILL DECIDING...

Seriously, this is just pathetic.

They are soooo lucky that consumer rights doesn't seem to apply to videogames.
Consumer rights absolutely apply to video games. The trouble is, most consumer rights haven't really caught up with the digital age, so it's often too much hassle to get the resolution you're entitled to.

hola said:
TheHemps said:
He had years to get it right and all he does is blame the technology available [u]and the staff under him[/u]. Bit cowardly if you ask me.
It is a poor shepherd that blames his flock
Only a fool would presume those statements to be true.  Many a battle has been lost despite good leadership.  I have no idea of the inner workings of this project, but having read these forums over the years and having bought each game except for the last one, I feel for those working on it.  I do not know who is to blame for the issues and neither do you.