Jump to content Jump to content

Surprising bug in the F1 2012 game

I've played a F1 2012 full career season with Marussia team, without any assists and in the Legend difficulty level. I've beaten my teammate Timo Glock all season long and began a second season with the number one status. The first race of the second season in Melbourne, still on Legend and without assists, my teammate Timo Glock qualified at the 2nd place, 0,5 seconds from the pole and I was in 15th position on the grid, which is normal for Marussia. I played a 100% race and Glock finished in 8th position and I was 17th.  Glock took also a lap on me, ten laps from the end. So, how could it be possible that a Marussia car could start a race on Legend in second place ? Howcome a Marussia car can overlap his teammate ? During the race, Glock was driving 2 seconds faster than me...!!! I'm still shocked by that...

During the first season, I learned a lot from this Marussia car and all the setups adjustments necessary to be a pretty good driver with this car. So, my driving has nothing to do with this performance of Timo Glock.

I thing that's a bug related to the second season. I will start the second race of the season in Malaysia and I hope that the Marussia car will not transform itself in a Red Bull car again because my second season will be very long...!!!!!  

In 2012 the team tiers change from season to season. I assume Marussia finished ahead of both Caterham and HRT which would have promoted them to the next tier up for season 2 which is why Glock is suddenly performing much better. Unfortunately for the player, the car will still feel like it's a back 3 team (that is the real bug). It works the other way around as well though. For example if you join Red Bull but they drop to tier 2 it will still feel like a tier 1 car to the player.

You're explanation is fine but it doesn't say why Glock's Marussia was acting like a champion car, not like a second tier. In practice, I've done everything possible trying to do lap times as good as Glock's and he was always 2 second faster than me. I've done the best laps I could with fine setups adjustments with no success. During the qualif, I was still 2 seconds slower as he was cruising at 1:28 like the Red Bulls...!!! The best I could do with the Marussia was 1:29:965 in Qualif.

If the 2013 and 2014 seasons have the same programming, then the problem will come in the 2014 also... 

The tiers are a lot closer in 2012 so a tier 3 car could on occasion get up into the top 5 (which is why I still believe 2012's tier systems are the strongest in the series). As you say he finished 8th so he must have dropped back from his 2nd place on the grid. Like I say, your Marussia will still handle like a Marussia, but Glock's will handle like that of say Maldonado's Williams (which as I recall was pretty quick in 2012). A big reason why I never chose one of the back three teams in career mode. This problem is hugely less noticeable if you choose either Williams or Force India to start your career as you will still be able to keep up with your team mate (even if he is going slightly quicker than before).

2013 does not have changing tiers by season and by the look of it neither does 2014, likely to get around this problem. A shame really as if it worked correctly it was one of the great things in the 2010-12 career mode.

Thank you for your explanations. I don't think I will do a full second season with Marussia. The first season was fun because driving this car was a super challenge and I learned a lot about all the setups possible to make it the fastest I could. So, the challenge was always to be the best of the rest and I managed to do it quite good during the first season. The car was reacting to any minor adjustments like the balance or the springs and the wings. I don't know if the best cars are also sensitive to different setups like the Marussia are ?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
I started out with Caterham. The first season I usually was quicker than my teammate. This season the first practice session I can't even get near him. He's about 1.2 seconds faster than me.

UPDATE: It does seem we are suffering from the same bug. I just did qualifying, and Heikki was a wopping 2,5 seconds faster than me. He qualified in 3rd place, I in 18th. It does seem my car hasn't moved up a tier since I has comparable laptimes with the other bottom tier cars, in this case the toro rosso, hrt and marussia.
The tiers are a lot closer in 2012 so a tier 3 car could on occasion get up into the top 5 (which is why I still believe 2012's tier systems are the strongest in the series). As you say he finished 8th so he must have dropped back from his 2nd place on the grid. Like I say, your Marussia will still handle like a Marussia, but Glock's will handle like that of say Maldonado's Williams (which as I recall was pretty quick in 2012). A big reason why I never chose one of the back three teams in career mode. This problem is hugely less noticeable if you choose either Williams or Force India to start your career as you will still be able to keep up with your team mate (even if he is going slightly quicker than before).

2013 does not have changing tiers by season and by the look of it neither does 2014, likely to get around this problem. A shame really as if it worked correctly it was one of the great things in the 2010-12 career mode.
yeah that was one of my favourite features of the game too.