PETITION: OFFICIAL TV GRAPHICS FOR F1 2019

Well first I wanna explain "god like". In Fifa you control 11 characters in a view like you get on television. It looks like a soccer match on TV with the only difference that you get to decide the outcome of the match like some god that controls when Messi scores. Formula 1 games are not like that you get in the cockpit of one of the cars and that is where you will stay the entire time on track. You don't get replays of an attack of another driver or stuff like you see on TV. you can't say it's logical that it has to look the same as on TV because that's not what we get on our screens in contrast to Fifa were you get to see what you would see on TV. So it is logical for a game like Fifa to look like a TV broadcast.

What I need to see is the lap counter. I need to know who's in front and who's behind me and what types they run, the MSD and some indication of sector times. I also need the warnings. But I want it all to be as minimal as possible. I don't need them to have black backgrounds because to me that already is screen clutter. Make it translucent. I need as less distraction as possible but still get needed data. It's that simple. The whole TVBS BS has ruined that. Next time someone pitches an idea like that they should think twice :classic_dry:

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, BelgiumDude said:

Well first I wanna explain "god like". In Fifa you control 11 characters in a view like you get on television. It looks like a soccer match on TV with the only difference that you get to decide the outcome of the match like some god that controls when Messi scores. Formula 1 games are not like that you get in the cockpit of one of the cars and that is where you will stay the entire time on track. You don't get replays of an attack of another driver or stuff like you see on TV. you can't say it's logical that it has to look the same as on TV because that's not what we get on our screens in contrast to Fifa were you get to see what you would see on TV. So it is logical for a game like Fifa to look like a TV broadcast.

What I need to see is the lap counter. I need to know who's in front and who's behind me and what types they run, the MSD and some indication of sector times. I also need the warnings. But I want it all to be as minimal as possible. I don't need them to have black backgrounds because to me that already is screen clutter. Make it translucent. I need as less distraction as possible but still get needed data. It's that simple. The whole TVBS BS has ruined that. Next time someone pitches an idea like that they should think twice :classic_dry:

I'm sorry but what? I mean both games are the same thing. You control 11 players on the pitch to play the sport of football, you control 1 player in a car to play the sport of racing. You decide the outcomes in both as you are controlling the destiny of the player(s). The difference between the 2 is that F1 is a constant race with no real breaks whereas football has stoppages and so they can give a more broadcast feel by implementing replays. I don't remember replays being mentioned for F1 while in race we are talking HUD.

Anyways back to this game, what you're actually saying is you want the HUD but not the TV graphics! Gotcha. Long way around to it but got there in the end. So not so much a clutter issue but a distraction issue and so want a different design where it is effectively plain. That's a good enough arguement I guess. 

What I will say is that with a translucent design, you will probably find that a little more distracting as the colours of the HUD info will blend into the background and make it hard to read so you'll spend more time trying to read the info.

Edited by martbloke
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

49 minutes ago, martbloke said:

What I will say is that with a translucent design, you will probably find that a little more distracting as the colours of the HUD info will blend into the background and make it hard to read so you'll spend more time trying to read the info.

That depends on how much percentage is used.

16 hours ago, martbloke said:

I don't get this argument of being way too cluttered. Apart from the tower (I'd actually have a max of 5 positions showing), how is it any different to Codies design (fonts/graphics aside)? I mean it shows the same data as Codies just in a different font/graphic and even the tower is the 3 letter abbreviation rather than the full names they are currently using. Madness all in spite of not wanting it, lol!

This kind of information-dense HUD is useful when the point of view is exterior to the race and global (exactly what you need for TV), but not very pertinent from a driver point of view. Codemasters basically displayed the exact same infos that we see on your concept (apart from the race fastest lap-time, and I agree it should be added), but in a cleaner and lighter way, adapted to a racing game. They even added the tyre compound next to drivers names.

Now I agree that using the TV graphics during replay would be cool and pertinent, but I think the UI team has had enough work this year. Mods can easily do that.

Edited by TheTomatoes
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, TheTomatoes said:

This kind of information-dense HUD is useful when the point of view is exterior to the race and global (exactly what you need for TV), but not very pertinent from a driver point of view. Codemasters basically displayed the exact same infos that we see on your concept (apart from the race fastest lap-time, and I agree it should be added), but in a cleaner and lighter way, adapted to a racing game. They even added the tyre compound next to drivers names.

Now I agree that using the TV graphics during replay would be cool and pertinent, but I think the UI team has had enough work this year. Mods can easily do that.

Mods can yes .... for PC only. However, like I've said above, there really isn't a difference in the information displayed between Codies and the official graphics so I don't get the issue. It's just different graphics being used and longer names (which is only good for multiplayer but even then not necessary - can still have 3 letter abbreviations). I much prefer the presentation of the information in the official graphics.

If you're happy with Codies level of info, then what is the big difference? (note: I agree to not having full 20 positions and the radio icon).

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

5 hours ago, TheTomatoes said:

Yeah whilst the graphics look OK on TV I didn't think they'd look too good on the game and based on what I'm seeing I feel that my opinion of that is spot on. Graphics wise else where is pretty good and if I was thinking of getting the game which I'm not atm that would definitely be a big plus point. I may pick it up later in a Steam sale or something later but I don't think I play the F1 games enough to warrant paying full price anymore and I still haven't finished career modes on any of the last 3 games and I want to at the very least finish one of those before I entertain any ideas of getting 2019. I must admit though that while the graphics in general are good the TV style HUD is working against it for me. I like the idea and the F2 bit as well but with everything I'm trying to do atm it's not something I'm going to get at launch at least anyway