Sign in to follow this  

Why TOUGE is out?

I liked touge in grid 1 but the effort in Grid 2 was frustrating at best imo. 

Grid 1 I had many great races, not always clean and a subsequent penalty was awarded when this happened.

In Grid 2 however the instant DSQ for ANY touch was infinitely annoying, too many times online I came up against people who if they started out front for the 1 race would weave and then slam on the brakes so you get the DSQ.

If I started the 1st race in front thats what it was, a race of course the next race you had the same problem, beat someone and they retaliate by stamping on the anchors as above.

Thats the reason I'm not upset at it's removal, not for the event itself but for the kind of tactics used by some people online, sadly this is what you find online more and more these days.

Why do I say this? I just tried assetto multiplayer and got fastest time in qualifying for the guy in second to deliberately wipe me out in the 1st corner just because I was faster and would be able to keep up and or beat them.

This is why I'm not bothered by touge not being in GAS, What I would like to see is a method of penalising the aggressor, i,e, if some idiot causes a crash by "brake testing" in front of you, it's very much frowned upon in most motorsports and usually results in just such a penalty. I'd also like to see those who ram people off the track so they get a penalty also have the penalty applied to them for causing the collision in the fist place.

Probably too much to ask and it's biggest problem is where do you draw the line? If a car goes out of control and causes a crash should they be penalised for a genuine error?

Sadly, like every other penalty system people will find a way to abuse it or use it for an advantage.

Touge doesn't need to be eliminated to eliminate those problems within Touge online.  Just put it in the Party category, like Codies have done with Derby.  You would think that by now Codies would have realized that eliminating GRID features from subsequent GRID Games is not the way to restore and sustain the GRID fan base.  Each of these disciplines has its following, and each time a GRID feature is carved off, a chunk of the fan base is carved off.  Too many of these "improvements" are not.

Frank
PC/keyboard, offline single player.

RS13Rastus1701

Idiotic penalty system in GRID2 is not a reason to delete TOUGE mode completely. They could just turn back old penalty system.

It's stupid to create GRID1 remake and delete one mode.

I won't miss touge. It wasn't that great and there was only a single "track".

Is there a problem to create two tracks? In GRID2 were 4 tracks. Beautiful tracks with amazing scenery. Let's throw them out! 

It's out of the game anyway. And this isn't even legal racing, it would be (and it was) weird to have teams that race in both touring cars championships and touge.

I don't care, it can be added or deleted, it doesn't really matter to me. Track racing is way better IMO.

It's not a question of realism. It's a question of diversity. It's still a game. More modes - more fun, more players, more buyers. Profit for everyone.

Well, even when you look at just GRID fans posting on this forum there is an overwhelmingly small minority that actually likes touge. So I would say that it was a prudent decision on CM's part to cut it and not waste resources developing it.

Great math.  Heck, why not eliminate all the racing disciplines except those that most GRID players spent most time in?  How much do you suppose would be left?  For one thing the cockpit view would be gone again with that approach.  Open wheel?  Club racing - oops, that's already gone, or is it?  The main feature of GRID is that it has so much diversity.  Stands to reason that not everyone was particularly devoted to all the disciplines.  So what?

Frank

You should get the compliment for great math. Maybe we should add in NASCAR while we're at it. Why not gymkhana? Since you like diversity so much, why not include every form of racing we could possibly think of. They should add driving on the moon like GT6 in the name of diversity. Then CM could just have enough time and resources to include one race per discipline.

The reasoning for cutting the cockpit view was because the majority of general players didn't use it, but it was brought back because the core GRID fans wanted it back. From what I see based on this thread, even the majority of the core GRID fans don't want touge.

Awong124 said:
You should get the compliment for great math. Maybe we should add in NASCAR while we're at it. Why not gymkhana? Since you like diversity so much, why not include every form of racing we could possibly think of. They should add driving on the moon like GT6 in the name of diversity. Then CM could just have enough time and resources to include one race per discipline.

The reasoning for cutting the cockpit view was because the majority of general players didn't use it, but it was brought back because the core GRID fans wanted it back. From what I see based on this thread, even the majority of the core GRID fans don't want touge.
The minority are always the most vocal, just look at the threads that include polling options, the majority of people who vote don't even post in the thread/forums at all.

Andi said:
Awong124 said:

The minority are always the most vocal, just look at the threads that include polling options, the majority of people who vote don't even post in the thread/forums at all.
That observation actually makes the minority even more overwhelmingly so.

Driving on the Moon is GT6 feature. And Touge is GRID feature. I'm not asking to add some crazy new modes but not to delete good old ones!

Driving on the Moon is GT6 feature. And Touge is GRID feature. I'm not asking to add some crazy new modes but not to delete good old ones!
A fair point. But I don't know if just because it was in the previous games, it automatically makes it intrinsic to the GRID identity. Maybe it might not have been the best idea to have included it in the first place, and now they've reconsidered the image of the GRID franchise. Also, keep in mind that this game is coming out like a year after GRID 2, so maybe they had to prioritize their time and resources to make the aspects important to most players the best that they can be. That's not to say that they've only been working on this game for a year, but it's probably still a pretty short time frame, and for a relatively small developer as well. But my guess is that CM wanted to make GRID Autosport lean more towards a serious racer. I wouldn't be surprised if the next GRID will have a more relaxed atmosphere and touge will make its way back in.

@ Awong124:

Speaking as a GRID fan since 2008 who has never stopped playing the game, the GRID identity is based precisely on what was in GRID.  There has always been a strong contingent of fans who have been saying for years that all Codies had to do to produce a great GRID sequel is add a few tracks and cars to GRID and update the graphics.  Not as simple as it sounds, but you get the idea.

After a five year wait Codies produced GRID2, which is not a GRID sequel and should have been named something else.  It is an anomaly.  But it wears the GRID cloak and as a result newer fans have the idea that anything goes in a GRID game.  Nevertheless GRID: Autosport looks like a GRID sequel, though is still quite a departure from what many of us were hoping for originally.

Not everyone liked or likes GRID, but that is the original in the series.  Trying to make a sequel more like other racing games broadens and dilutes the GRID Game identity, moving the series from its original unrivaled position to something quite a bit more bland.

ToCA3 was so diverse as to be almost overwhelming.  But GRID carved its own niche, substantially less diverse, and the public was so notified by not naming it ToCA4.  The GRID name endures in GRID: Autosport and so GRID fans have a reasonable expectation of getting a GRID game whose presence and identity was established by GRID.

Frank
PC/keyboard, offline single player.

For future projects they can have grid with a variety of motorsports and the proper TOCA with just Touring Cars.

I personally feel that the identity of GRID, or anything really, is tied more strongly to the feel and atmosphere than the actual content. To me the essence of GRID is the close racing, the feeling of being a professional driver with a team mate, and the goal of attracting sponsors. The biggest change in the identity of GA from GRID to me is that now you're joining existing teams instead of running your own team, of which I see both pros and cons.

Awong124 said:
To me the essence of GRID is the close racing, the feeling of being a professional driver
Like in dozens of other racing sims. GRID was unique with its free drift, team racing and touge. For example, I don't like drift. But free drift was unique and I insist it should remain in game. And touge too.

Awong124 said:
To me the essence of GRID is the close racing, the feeling of being a professional driver
Like in dozens of other racing sims.
Not really. I can't really think of any racing games where you race for a team like an actual professional, at least not the big name popular ones. Gran Turismo - no. Forza - no. NFS Shift - no. Assetto Corsa - no. Simraceway - no. iRacing - no. The upcoming Project CARS - no. The only ones I can really think of are other CM games, like the F1 games and older Race Driver games. You can maybe count V-Rally 3, where you get hired for a team, but there's no close racing because it's rally.

I've mentioned "team" feature above. It's unique feature of GRID, like free drift and Touge. All unique features and modes should be left in game.

I've mentioned "team" feature above. It's unique feature of GRID, like free drift and Touge. All unique features and modes should be left in game.
Well so did I, but when you quoted my post you omitted the last part of the sentence "with a team mate, and the goal of attracting sponsors" to make it look like I meant something else, and then came back with a rebuttal to something I never said in the first place.

zenler said:
Tis a damn shame but at least we have super utes.
Even as an Australian I have no idea why they made it into the game, they are probably the closest thing to demolition derby I guess.  ;)