The F1 2018 DX12 Beta Discussion Thread [UPDATE - 06/12]

Question

[Update – 06/12]

Hi all,

Patch 1.15 with DX12 Beta should be live at around 1pm UK time (GMT). This update should mean that this version is now compatible with version 1.15 of the main game and your save games should now be working correctly.

We do have some patch notes for you, which you can find below. Please continue to use this thread for reporting any issues as usual, including any new issues you find with the latest patch. Thanks!

DX12 Beta - Patch 1.15 Notes;

General

• The mouse cursor should no longer remain visible
  • Graphical corruption should no longer be seen for Nvida graphics cards users

Windows 10 v1809

• You should now be able to go back to fullscreen after switching to windows mode
  • Lower resolutions than the monitors native one should no longer show the game in window mode
  • Frame rate should no longer be locked when using Gsync

[UPDATE – 03/12/2018]

Please note that the current DX12 Beta version is incompatible with Patch 1.15. If you wish to update to version 1.15 of the main game then you will be unable to play the DX12 Beta using your existing save. We are looking at updating the DX12 beta and will let you know as soon as possible as to when that will go live. Thank you for your patience and apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

[Original Post]

Hi all and welcome to the F1 2018 DX12 Beta discussion thread.

You can find main The F1 2018 DX12 Beta post here, which has all the information about the beta.

Please report any issues to us in this thread below – especially if something’s happened in your game, something looks wrong, or you encounter something you hadn’t noticed in the standard (DX11) version of the game.

If we get numerous reports on the same issue then we may break these out into their own support thread to make issues easier to track.

When reporting something, please be sure to add your basic system specs in your post, so that you can help us identify issues with specific hardware configurations.

Unfortunately, the DX12 beta does not support crossfire/SLI.

Hoo said:
Unfortunately, the DX12 beta does not support crossfire/SLI.
I know but they can run in DX11 and DX12. That's where I want to see the comparison. SLI is a DX11 thing, DX12 is mGPU.
I only have a single card, but I'm pretty sure I can't harness my iGPU as easily as DX12 can. At the moment, it does help if I use the iGPU as the accelerator for OBS, but ReLive performance is OK at the moment. I can set that option whichever way I go.

It's more about whether I invest in another single card or if a cheap option is to get another like I already have seeing as the price has gone through the floor. I would need to sacrifice my NVMe SSD and go back to SATA SSD if I did. So, it's not a jump I'll make without seeing the potential results.

Hi,

I have a brand new gaming PC with an NVIDIA GEFORCE 2080 GPU and an Intel i7 8700k and F1 2018 repeatedly crashes under DX11 with the following error message: "the D3D device has been removed.  Try updating your drivers or change graphics texture settings."

I spoke to NVIDIA and tried re-installing all drivers and the game still crashes.  I read on the Steam forum that it's worth trying the new DX12 beta so I downloaded it last night and so far the game is running smoothly with no crashes.  The only problem is that the game's graphics are significantly worse with notable pixelation and other issues.  Is there a way to optimize the graphics in DX12 so it looks equivalent to the DX11 version?  I have the game optimized in the GEFORCE experience app.

Thank you!! 

What I have found out, is that DX12 allows new filters that simply are amazing, which if used right, will allow players not only to play with more graphics, but with faster FPSs...It will depend on the engine and artistic design, but this kind of upgrade is always favorable when it comes to being up to date in competing games, but in this case, they are few games, and only some include (a small variety of) F1 cars, although this game does not include the option to race the safety car too, so it is not a matter of taste, it is a matter of getting used to each kind of game and trying your best to enjoy each experience since this is not the whereabouts of an unholy war of plethoras and arrays of software floating about.  

Posted (edited)

As of today my game has started to suddenly crash to desktop with no warning or error messages. The game will freeze for about 6 - 8 seconds and suddenly quit to desktop.

Have verified files with steam...deleted hardwareconfig.xml.. limited framerate to 80 fps.. there was a Windows 10 update yesterday so maybe that's causing the issue... but I see that I am not the only one with this problem.

UPDATE:: I tried the normal version of F1 2018 (not DX12) and the game ran fine...was able to do many many laps without crashing the game to desktop. Maybe its a DX 12 problem as there was a windows update yesterday I think.

UPDATE 2: Just tried the normal version and ran about 20 laps no problems... ran the DX12 and it crashed to desktop before I got to the first corner. 100% a DX 12 version issue.

Update 3: Seems no matter what I try I am now unable to play in DX12..I try using the DX12.exe but the game version says 1.6 and no "WORK IN PROGRESS" sign above... also tried putting the code into the beta spot for it and no luck... how can I get back to the DX 12 version?

Edited by AnthonyLee59
Update

Does this update have better options for anti-aliasing. I would fix that first before they go on with DX12.

Can anyone tell me how to get back to the DX12 version... My game has updated to 1.6 and even when i press the DX12.exe version its not working... THANK YOU!

So is the DX12 beta still running?

Is it working with 1.16?

Should I bother?

So I'll answer my own question and provide some info:

• It works with patch 1.16.
  • Launching the game from Steam lets you chose whether you want DX11 or DX12 each time, which is nice.
  • DX12 gives me almost no discernible gain in the benchmarking I've done. At 4K Ultra (all settings maxed) I gain about 1fps to my average (eg: 84fps might raise to 85fps averaged over multiple runs).
  • DX12 does show a much high minimum frame rate (for instance 74fps min vs 11fps) in benchmarking, but I'm pretty sure that's just because DX11 seems to grab the super low frame rates at the very start and end of the run but DX12 doesn't seem to. Either way, it's an odddity but not one that has a real impact on actual performance.
  • DX12 DOES NOT SUPPORT HDR!!!! <--- Basically this makes it useless for me.

Not sure how to address your problems Anthony, I just launch mine from Steam and can chose either version and they both work. Windows 10 is up to date, using NVidia 419.17.

Thanks for that.. I have tried using the DX 12.exe it starts but it does not show the "WORK IN PROGRESS" banner at the top..so I am unsure if its the DX 12 version or not.

I have installed a 2019 mod from Race Department so not sure if that has a screen that overrides the banner or not..

4 hours ago, JesseDeya said:

• DX12 DOES NOT SUPPORT HDR!!!! <--- Basically this makes it useless for me.

how do you use the HDR with w10?

it's terrible yet.

26 minutes ago, AnthonyLee59 said:

Thanks for that.. I have tried using the DX 12.exe it starts but it does not show the "WORK IN PROGRESS" banner at the top..so I am unsure if its the DX 12 version or not.

I have installed a 2019 mod from Race Department so not sure if that has a screen that overrides the banner or not..

I also installed the Krisdix 2019 mod, but I duplicated my steam F1 2018 install first and just rename the folders when I want to switch between 2019 and vanilla. I haven't tried the DX12 beta with the 2019 mod, so maybe that's your problem?

6 minutes ago, Oasis81 said:

how do you use the HDR with w10?

it's terrible yet.

HDR works, but yes, Windows 10 is terrible at it. I just enabled HDR in windows 10 and it works in F1 2018. In my Nvidia panel I use either RGB, 8 Bit, Full, or 4,2,0 12 Bit, Limited. Samsung UA55KS9000.

Happy to help you with HDR, did you have a specific question?

9 minutes ago, JesseDeya said:

I also installed the Krisdix 2019 mod, but I duplicated my steam F1 2018 install first and just rename the folders when I want to switch between 2019 and vanilla. I haven't tried the DX12 beta with the 2019 mod, so maybe that's your problem?

HDR works, but yes, Windows 10 is terrible at it. I just enabled HDR in windows 10 and it works in F1 2018. In my Nvidia panel I use either RGB, 8 Bit, Full, or 4,2,0 12 Bit, Limited. Samsung UA55KS9000.

Happy to help you with HDR, did you have a specific question?

mmm, i use a lg b6v 4k tv, with 4:4:4 60hz and 8 bit, and my image is too luminous.. can't fix with the game  hdr setting and w10 or tv hdr setting.

with the console it's perfect anyway... the problem it's only with the hdr pc.

do you mean that rgb settings on nvidia fix the hdr problem?

I used to have really bad stuttering, im talking like 2 or 3 per lap and some of them were extremely long. Using Dx12 has lowered the stuttering a lot. I use a 1060 3gb video card and went from 90 fps or so to 110+ on high settings.

I do still have some slight stutters but they are way less frequent and not as long. I'm at the point where i no longer need to use flashbacks to fix mistakes caused by the stuttering.

thats really all the feedback i have at the moment, I haven't noticed anything weird yet.

Any idea on when/if the dx12 version will become the main version? Personally, I'd much prefer the dx12 to be the release version and then the dx11 as the opt in beta... just to swap the message over! That overlay is now ruining the aesthetics of the game for me, however, the increase in performance and smoothness and better control response on the DX12 outweighs the annoying watermark.

I'm using a 9700k @ 5ghz and a RTX 2080ti, 1440p, max everything, g-sync enabled, rog swift monitor @ 144hz
DX11 version, default Australia benchmark - Min 148, Avg 195, Max 243, 2 stutters
DX12 version, default Australia benchmark - Min 154, Avg 196, Max 245, 0 stutters

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MurdoD said:

Any idea on when/if the dx12 version will become the main version? Personally, I'd much prefer the dx12 to be the release version and then the dx11 as the opt in beta... just to swap the message over! That overlay is now ruining the aesthetics of the game for me, however, the increase in performance and smoothness and better control response on the DX12 outweighs the annoying watermark.

I'm using a 9700k @ 5ghz and a RTX 2080ti, 1440p, max everything, g-sync enabled, rog swift monitor @ 144hz
DX11 version, default Australia benchmark - Min 148, Avg 195, Max 243, 2 stutters
DX12 version, default Australia benchmark - Min 154, Avg 196, Max 245, 0 stutters

Can't see any reason why not as DX12 is ported to W7, but it runs better on W10. 

Definite uplift in minimum framerates and absence of stutter (think it's mainly network/netcode related now if it happens). YMMV, I use i7-4790K @stock (no turbo, read chip errata) and RX480@RX580 Freesync @144Hz. 16GB RAM and pagefile enabled. DX11 is garbage lately, gets stutter and framerate effect although FPS remains high.

Edit: When I last tried DX11 the WIP banner is still there, it just reminds you you are on the beta branch, regardless of which version you play. The Steam defaults and shortcuts all play DX11 version, you have to right-click in library to start DX12 version.

Edited by steviejay69

STILL waiting to hear from someone on how I get back to using the DX12 version after the game has updated...

ANYONE?