Sign in to follow this  

[PC] [Wheel] Wheel "disconnects" and continues to rotate

Question

I just set-up, installed, and tried playing F1 2018 my Fanatec CSL Elite wheel and pedals, but within a minute my wheel disconnects and turns all the way to one side. Windows makes the sound effect of plugging in a USB device and the game-screen flashes a "controller disconnected" message. If I don't hold the wheel on the center, the FFB just keeps rotating against the rotation limit. The wheel stays like this until I turn off the entire wheel-base (persists even after I close the game). I have only run in Time Trials, but this problem has occurred at every map that I have loaded. If I turn off my wheel-base, it goes back to normal, but only temporarily as it locks up shortly after.

I have re-installed and re-flashed the drivers for my wheel. I have verified the integrity of F1 2018 within Steam. My wheel works perfectly fine in Project Cars 2 and Assetto Corsa, so it has to be something within F1 2018 that's triggering it.

2 answers to this question

Try removing the drivers with Geek Uninstaller.

All the Codemasters games seem to have issues with registry cruft building up.

Although, you may get good results with the updated USBDeView (x64 from this link only, x86 is dead for games anyway). 

I tried removing the previous drivers with Geek, which did find previous traces. I installed their most recent beta drivers (314), but unfortunately, it happened again. As a matter of fact, it has happened a couple times at the same point -- turn 7 at the France GP.

dputnam said:
I tried removing the previous drivers with Geek, which did find previous traces. I installed their most recent beta drivers (314), but unfortunately, it happened again. As a matter of fact, it has happened a couple times at the same point -- turn 7 at the France GP.
I would revert to the 311 release as beta is beta. Again, use Geek to remove all traces. Verify the wheel is working fine in CP or another game.

Verify Steam files. Delete the hardware_settings_config.xml from My Documents\My Games\F1 2018 before launching.

Check the wheel is detected in the settings and make any remappings creating a new control schema. There may be mileage in disabling Steam cloud sync as control schemas are stored there (anecdotal from clean installs when I used Steam cloud sync).

Good luck.