Sign in to follow this  

VR 2 player, one Driver, one Navigator

I think this kind of speaks for itself, right? Online play, one shouting out directions in your ear. Would benefit from the stage generation of Dirt 4 of course, because there's more challenge there. Until that is improved to a level that fits Dirt Rally though, we won't see that any time soon (I could be wrong). I think this is still a fun idea, some poor sap I don't know having to be a passenger to my driving. Hope they have the sick-bag on stand by!

A good idea, but I don't think it'd possible until 2025.
On the same system? Sure. On 2 different systems, like having a buddy or a subber from your stream hop into a custom "MP match" and ride shotgun with you would be way more doable though. Super small player base who will take full advantage of it, but if you just made it generic "MP co-driver" and let people use monitor or VR you might actually see a decent amount of users. Or even expand it into "ride shotgun with your friend" mode where you just get to sit inside the car as your favorite streamer/friend sets a blistering time. Definitely could see some uses for that with a fun group/audience. 

On the same system? Sure. On 2 different systems, like having a buddy or a subber from your stream hop into a custom "MP match" and ride shotgun with you would be way more doable though. Super small player base who will take full advantage of it, but if you just made it generic "MP co-driver" and let people use monitor or VR you might actually see a decent amount of users.for that with a fun group/audience. 
My suggestion was for VR, but I can see it working just as well locally. They have already tried this on console to limited effect, by adding what is akin to a rhythm game, pressing a button in time with the prompts to allow a second player to be co-driver. But that really was a half-hearted attempt. VR online was suggested simply because I don't think the means for 2 VR on one system exists and limits its audience entirely, and it is limited as it is. Also VR just makes the whole experience more worthwhile and involving for both parties as you will feel like you are side by side, which would be awesome. Granted though it would be a limited audience. This would effectively give you a secondary competition, involving 2 people. For this to work competitively though I think the random stage generator would be necessary or memory of stages is more benefit. That said, you still need a co-driver for those long stages.
To add a little more clarity to the OP and how I think it would be implemented in VR. The co-driver would be able to either see the corner prompts in front of him, and just reads them out, in a simple mode. Or he looks down at his clipboard and reads the notes there, although for clarity they would need to be written a few at a time and maybe some indicator showing where you are on the stage at any given time might make it easier. Either way, it needs to be easy on the eyes and adding a level of challenge by stressing timing.
If they make the co-driver as much a skill in itself similar to how it is in reality, complementing the effectiveness of the driver, then I feel that this would gain some popularity online with You-tubers etc. and the esport crowd. It might initially be a novelty side project, but I do think it can be fleshed out into something the diehards would want to try. I've thought about this a bit (because I have a lot of time on my hands of late) and would love the implementation of co-driver/driver, as its completes rally by adding that essential missing element.