"Why I will buy 2.0 on day one, even without VR."

I preordered the original Dirt Rally on PS4, and played it almost every day for well over a year and a half. Then something changed in my life, after which I only gamed on handhelds, at the office. But recently, my neighbour in his enthusiasm invited me to play PSVR with him, which prompted me to get it myself in a Black Friday deal. And by now, I can no longer go back. I play Dirt Rally again daily. At the office, though, I have to make do with V-Rally on Nintendo Switch. And I must say it's still better than nothing; it's still playable for me, though only in chase cam view (cockpit and bumper and the like just look completely 2D to me now). But why should I play something like that at home, where I have VR? Well, for one thing, I just want to sponsor Codemasters for the Dirt Rally series: sooner or later it shall go VR again, for VR simply is the future (the second half of the "3D" revolution of the later nineties, which was really only half the leap to 3D). But secondly, I think experiencing 2.0 without VR will make me an even more eloquent spokesman for a VR patch! For I'll be experiencing all these great novelties introduced in that game, and the contrast with its VR prequel should enable me to imagine that patch even more vividly. Lastly, I think the whole "no VR no buy" drone is not the right strategy for converting others to VR. We who have seen the light need to persuade others, dangle the sweet carrots of our VR experience before them, not accompany a broken record with our drumsticks... By way of example, I'll conclude by saying this: a base PS4 with VR is better than the most souped-up PC with three 4K screens.—May this be an encouragement for those who are kept from VR by the costs!

Since I wrote the above, I've done something silly: I ordered the physical release thinking the VR DLC would actually be on the disk, but it turned out to just include a download voucher... I probably should have done more research. The voucher doesn't even have a scratchable covering, so I can't return it, either. Anyway, after playing the Dirt Daily and Delta Daily yesterday (both were long and in Greece) and acing both, it was especially clear to me that if any game deserves to be uselessly bought a second time, it's Dirt Rally. Still, seeing as there will probably be some financial setbacks for me in the coming months, I may not buy 2.0 on day one after all. This doesn't invalidate the above at all, though. I'll still buy it as soon as my finances are back on track, or as soon as it gets VR—whichever happens first. Also, if a Switch version of any Dirt game should come out, I'll certainly buy it day one!

Wow, you spoke like we were such peasants, I'm touched, for real.

I don't like this text and I feel utterly offended by it. Here in Brazil, VR sets cost more than a 4K TV, both of which are not needed by me in order to improve my gaming experience, since I just need a device to run the game (my PC in case) and a controller.

I've always played that way and unless VR sets drop below R$1,000.00, I'm not buying one lol

I don't like this text and I feel utterly offended by it. Here in Brazil, VR sets cost more than a 4K TV, both of which are not needed by me in order to improve my gaming experience, since I just need a device to run the game (my PC in case) and a controller.

I've always played that way and unless VR sets drop below R$1,000.00, I'm not buying one lol
Mate, as far as i understood, the guy spoke about PSVR wich probably is cheaper than a 4k set even in Brasil. Here in Portugal, we can buy the PSVR for 200€, which i think is somewhat affordable. I'm by no means rich or near that, and i understand that the VR option for PC is still quite expensive, if that's what you are refering to. Still, one thing i can promise you is that VR really improves the gaming experience, just try it if you have the opportunity...

cheers...

Opassac said:

Mate, as far as i understood, the guy spoke about PSVR wich probably is cheaper than a 4k set even in Brasil. Here in Portugal, we can buy the PSVR for 200€, which i think is somewhat affordable. I'm by no means rich or near that, and i understand that the VR option for PC is still quite expensive, if that's what you are refering to. Still, one thing i can promise you is that VR really improves the gaming experience, just try it if you have the opportunity...

cheers...
Oculus Rift ranges about 3,400 and 5,000 reais. That's almost two 4K TVs. PSVR is priced at 1,800 reais, the base price for a standard PS4 in here. I receive less than 2,000 a month, so yeah, that's expensive for me.

And I've tried PSVR once. Not with DR, but with some other games. It's cool and everything but I wouldn't last more than 1 hour using it.

Opassac said:

cheers...
Oculus Rift ranges about 3,400 and 5,000 reais. That's almost two 4K TVs. PSVR is priced at 1,800 reais, the base price for a standard PS4 in here. I receive less than 2,000 a month, so yeah, that's expensive for me.

And I've tried PSVR once. Not with DR, but with some other games. It's cool and everything but I wouldn't last more than 1 hour using it.
Try DR in VR... it's awesome... it really is... Makes a game that's great in a flat screen one of the best i ever played...
  • Agree 1

Opassac said:

Try DR in VR... it's awesome... it really is... Makes a game that's great in a flat screen one of the best i ever played...
Watched lots of videos on YT. Should be awesome, but still way out of my league.

Financial setback.... Gaming at the office... Hmmm... 
Well, it's just that I'd rather not buy anything inessential. And 2.0 without VR is inessential. I work graveyard shifts, by the way, so not doing recreational stuff at the office would not make me more money; I'd have to get a considerably better job for that (because of the night hours bonus).

I'm sorry about the situation in Brazil and didn't mean to offend.

Sauwelios said:
Financial setback.... Gaming at the office... Hmmm... 
Well, it's just that I'd rather not buy anything inessential. And 2.0 without VR is inessential. I work graveyard shifts, by the way, so not doing recreational stuff at the office would not make me more money; I'd have to get a considerably better job for that (because of the night hours bonus).

I'm sorry about the situation in Brazil and didn't mean to offend.
No problem, I've read lots of comments saying how VR nowadays is cheap and everything, but I just can't afford one. I'm not against VR, but due to all the financial setbacks in here, it's a luxury I'm not able to judge as necessary even if I wanted to.

For the record: I preordered the Deluxe Edition even before Oculus support was announced, and this announcement has made me quite certain not to cancel it. I won't buy another CM game as long as 2.0 doesn't have PSVR support, though! (Handheld games are exempt from this rule. And I will probably buy the rest of the DLC as well.)

I've had the game for a week and a half now, and here are my impressions. I think it's even quite a bit better than DR1. In fact, I've stopped playing the latter in principle (except at work, where I've now got an old laptop on which it runs on basically the very lowest settings; I'd play Dirt 3 there, which I never played before, except it doesn't have clutch kick, which I discovered less than a month ago but which I'm already much attached to). I just miss seeing and feeling the loose gravel and mud so much! Still, I can glean that it would be far better even in VR.

Things I really like about it include 1) that it gives the locations which were new in Dirt 4 a second chance—with handcrafted stages this time, making them so much better! I already liked them quite a bit in D4, and now we can experience their full potential—; 2) that it kept the best bits of D4's career and team management options, and further improved them; 3) that it also kept the other small improvements from D4, e.g. more realistic tarmac and the option to bind specific gears to specific buttons. On top of all that, I really like the new classic cars—been having great fun with my DS21, for example! The only gripe I can think of is that there's no explanations in the options menu—something that could almost literally have been copy/pasted from DR1... Lastly, I don't care for rallycross, so I can't really say anything sensible about that.

I hope to see remakes of my favourite stages from DR1—Wales, Greece, and Finland, in that order—in the Season 2 DLC. But what I hope for most is, of course, PSVR support.

Great job thus far, Codemasters!

P.S. I forgot to say I play the game in chase cam view, since all other views are a joke to me now that I know VR. At least chase cam view more or less shows the car as a 3D object in a 3D environment...
P.P.S. Oh, and I also really like the three all-new locations. In fact, I like 2.0's locations better, overall, than DR1's even!
Edited by Sauwelios
  • Agree 1