Sign in to follow this  

Steering Wheel Noob Help Please

Dear Forumers!

The 9 year old lad is getting Project Cars 2 for Xmas and we are going to be ‘sharing’ (I say it lightly as I’m sure he’ll be convinced it his!) a Thrustmaster T150! Now I’m very excited to be getting it as I’ve never used one. (Yep, I’m one of those annoying pad players who play with TV Pod Cam ?) However I’ve not yet purchased a stand. It’s something I will do but he’ll want to play with it on Xmas Day I’ll wager! Any ideas how I can rig it up until I get one? I really fancy a Playseat but the Mrs is non plused on the idea of me laying out best part of £200! I’ve read an ironing board is a reasonable idea?! 

Any help, ideas and recommendations on how to set one up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Computer desk works well, one of those TV dinner stands would work alright... I started out by removing the top middle and middle middle dresser drawers and attached the wheel to the top of the dresser then put the pedals in the middle drawer cavity on top of a couple text books I put in cardboard box then put a little door mat down that had a rubber bottom to keep the pedals from moving around

I recommend an Omega racing wheel stand. £99. The pedals and wheels bolt on and it is height adjustable and collapsible when you want to store it. I've had mine for two years with no issues.  

I found a decent fold down stand on Amazon for about £80.  Bolt everything on to it, and it means you can whack up the force feedback without it shaking your desk apart.  It depends on how much room you have, but it's worth the extra investment if you intend to do a lot of racing.

Buy a cheap second hand Playseat. They don’t take to much space and it’s so much more comfortable to race from a seat and probably will fit your 9 year old son as well. It’s so much more enjoyable.

Thanks guys! @1512marcel I plumped for a Playseat Challenge! Have to say it’s briliant, once I get Xmas Decs down will be able to store it away out of sight and my 9 year old lad is also using it. Now I just need to learn how to drive with it after 20 years of using a pad it’s a bit of a culture shock! ?

I am A little late as you probably already bought the playseat but if you want to go crazy you can build one like this:
https://youtu.be/Te40cwxWEL8

@MaxKingtape that is epic!! Too much time on that chaps hands though! ? I think the Mrs would file for divorce if I tried to put something like that in the lounge! ?

By the way @1512marcel you’re right that I’m slowly starting to get the hang of it! Staying offline until 2019 comes ou though earliest, don’t want to be one of those annoying rammers and I inadvertently will be at the mo!!