Sign in to follow this  

50 Days... Anyone else on the fence and have questions?

I honestly don’t get th3 whole, I want to know everything about the game before it’s released.

I had never played Red Dead Redemption and knew very little about RDR2. I watched a couple of videos on YouTube and thought it looked cool and good fun, so I bought it and absolutely loved it! 

I think the issue is consumer confidence after dirt 4 which was a rushed, incomplete title.

I agree Dirt 4 wasn’t great but I don’t think the comms have been lacklustre. I think they are saying what it is. Unfortunately to me (and I hope I’m wrong) is it’s Dirt Rally with some Dirt 4 parts added in. Almost like Dirt Rally with new countries, same basic career mode and the team aspect from Dirt 4 that really had no effect in my opinion. Purely on driving though I loved the challenge of Dirt Rally so likely will still buy. 

Rallystu2 said:
I think the issue is consumer confidence after dirt 4 which was a rushed, incomplete title.
I don’t think D4 was rushed, but it had changed a lot handling wise from the early versions that I had played. I was massively disappointed with it. Don’t think I’ve played it since 2017 now. 

Rallystu2 said:
I don’t think D4 was rushed, but it had changed a lot handling wise from the early versions that I had played. I was massively disappointed with it. Don’t think I’ve played it since 2017 now. 
Can't be arsed to look for the comment but I'm certain Paul said somewhere they didn't have the time to dial in all car classes in time for release, which to me sounds like they actually needed more time in the end while management wanted it to be released? 

It's such a shame if it, as you say, felt different and better before the release. Big shame. 

you could tell dirt 4 was a deadline game. some things were okay most wasnt. good we got Dirt rally 2.0 to rectify that soon.

Kiwiazbro said:
ShodanCat said:
I'm very much on the fence as of right now. What advancements are really there over Dirt Rally or even Dirt 4? We have new rallies, a handful of new cars and running order/surface degradation. The physics "improvements" remain to be seen, but so far it looks mostly like Dirt Rally.

We're just a few weeks away and community engagement has been lackluster as well (no offense to Christina, I'm sure she's only allowed to show or talk about only what the big cheeses will allow.) It all smacks of Dirt 4 at this point.
How exactly has the community engagement been lacklustre? It’s a new game and they drip feed game info to keep you wanting more. They’ve had a few streams where you can ask questions? What more is needed?
Because we don't have specific details on some of the most value-adding features/content of the game, such as how much unique KMs of rally stage we're getting, or how many liveries per car we're getting (since we won't even have the livery editor that was in Dirt 4.) 

dgeesi0 said:
you could tell dirt 4 was a deadline game. some things were okay most wasnt. good we got Dirt rally 2.0 to rectify that soon.
In the podcast, Coleman states that the Mystage technology placed too much burden of effort on the stage designers, so that they were "putting in 5 times the design effort, for half as much unique content" compared to non-procedural (or words to that effect). So it sounds like Mystage was really ambitious but being pioneering, and it took out more resources than expected. He says it needs to change so that more work is done by the hardware/software than by the actual designers. It's totally fascinating and the scope for its eventual benefit is enormous.

dgeesi0 said:
In the podcast, Coleman states that the Mystage technology placed too much burden of effort on the stage designers, so that they were "putting in 5 times the design effort, for half as much unique content" compared to non-procedural (or words to that effect). So it sounds like Mystage was really ambitious but being pioneering, and it took out more resources than expected. He says it needs to change so that more work is done by the hardware/software than by the actual designers. It's totally fascinating and the scope for its eventual benefit is enormous.

Would love to see what they could do with Your Stage if they had the budget someone like rockstar have got! 

Sadly I doubt Codies have 1/10th of the budget that they do! 

dgeesi0 said:

Would love to see what they could do with Your Stage if they had the budget someone like rockstar have got! 

Sadly I doubt Codies have 1/10th of the budget that they do! 
More like 1/100th  B)

Rockstar have the budget they do today because early GTA's sold well and they kept on the right track. It's up to Codemasters to keep on the right track with DiRT Rally 2.0 and later versions and end with the arcade experiments. Sooner or later, the money comes. WHen everyone realizes the best driving game is DR and it's the one that is here to stay, with eSports as well, everyone will want a piece of the action even if it's not their favourite game.

This cycle could've happened with DR1 + DLC already.

AIPacino said:
Rockstar have the budget they do today because early GTA's sold well and they kept on the right track. It's up to Codemasters to keep on the right track with DiRT Rally 2.0 and later versions and end with the arcade experiments. Sooner or later, the money comes. WHen everyone realizes the best driving game is DR and it's the one that is here to stay, with eSports as well, everyone will want a piece of the action even if it's not their favourite game.

I don’t think it’s that simple – GTA sold so well because it has a much broader appeal than relatively hardcore rally-oriented games like DiRT. The budget for rally and other sims is never going to be at GTA/CoD/etc. levels, not even close.
  • Agree 2

afahoy said:
AIPacino said:

I don’t think it’s that simple – GTA sold so well because it has a much broader appeal than relatively hardcore rally-oriented games like DiRT. The budget for rally and other sims is never going to be at GTA/CoD/etc. levels, not even close.
Agree. Even comparing to Colin McRae Rally back in 98 rally was more popular then with a wider audience. CMR also had a lot of people play it that weren’t hardcore rally fans. There were also a few more rally games on the market at that time too. VRally, Sega Rally, Richard Burns Rally, WRC game also started a bit after CMR. 

With entry level racing wheels at the $400+ mark. The lack of price effective hardware is the biggest problem facing the success of racing sims imho.

Sim racing needs an entry level force feedback wheel like the Momo's, Driving force GT at the $100 price point.

Very much on the fence.

After seemingly washing their hands with Micro Machines, Dirt 4 and Onrush i'm kind of concerned about the level of support CM are going to give to DR2 if sales don't meet up to levels of expectation. There's also this nagging feeling about minimal launch content and a season pass to bolster it up to a size it should have been in the first place - and not forgetting the implications of multiplayer when adopting this bits and pieces policy.

After having enjoyed DR1 so much my heart is telling me to stump up for the sequel, but my head is more sensibly telling me that waiting a year until the game is complete (and considerably cheaper) might be the more practical option this time around.  

2 minutes ago, turbopaws said:

fter seemingly washing their hands with Micro Machines, Dirt 4 and Onrush i'm kind of concerned about the level of support CM are going to give to DR2 if sales don't meet up to levels of expectation. There's also this nagging feeling about minimal launch content and a season pass to bolster it up to a size it should have been in the first place - and not forgetting the implications of multiplayer when adopting this bits and pieces policy. 

ONRUSH is still getting updates (Even though it sold only 1000 copies in the UK on the launch day) and Micromachines was probably nothing else than a cash grab and a small project (It was made on Unity, not the EGO engine like the "better game" Toybox Turbos) but I agree with Dirt 4.

21 minutes ago, turbopaws said:

Very much on the fence.

After seemingly washing their hands with Micro Machines, Dirt 4 and Onrush i'm kind of concerned about the level of support CM are going to give to DR2 if sales don't meet up to levels of expectation. There's also this nagging feeling about minimal launch content and a season pass to bolster it up to a size it should have been in the first place - and not forgetting the implications of multiplayer when adopting this bits and pieces policy.

After having enjoyed DR1 so much my heart is telling me to stump up for the sequel, but my head is more sensibly telling me that waiting a year until the game is complete (and considerably cheaper) might be the more practical option this time around.  

I understand the cynicism, I felt it strongly after DiRT4, but I believe they've addressed that by promising a minimum of 6 months support with this one. We know VR is in the works now, we know clubs/leagues will be arriving shortly after launch, there's plenty of content in the pipeline...

The difference between this and previous titles (to me) is that none of this was promised for those - I believe they're going to try the approach (at sodding last) that has proven successful for so many other sims (support over time).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, RodgerDavies said:

I understand the cynicism, I felt it strongly after DiRT4, but I believe they've addressed that by promising a minimum of 6 months support with this one. We know VR is in the works now, we know clubs/leagues will be arriving shortly after launch, there's plenty of content in the pipeline...

100% agree. I thought CM were pretty vague about ongoing support before D4 hit the shelves and we all obviously know how things panned out post-release. 

There looks to be a solid plan in place for a good few months after release and potentially longer term support if the interest (and I guess the money) is there. 

Edited by tbtstt

Playing DR2.0 as a sim-racer has been great but I wonder what its like for less experienced players, people for who'm the Arcade handling mode appealed in D4. If this is good then hopefully its accessible enough for everyone who is a rally fan. It also sounds like the DLC plans are properly in place for longer term support similar to Assetto Corsa. I'd happily pay more for more stages and cars if it means we get a long lasting great game. The physics are already there to make that so.

Edited by SirPhilMcKraken

54 minutes ago, SirPhilMcKraken said:

Playing DR2.0 as a sim-racer has been great but I wonder what its like for less experienced players, people for who'm the Arcade handling mode appealed in D4. 

I wonder how many people actually played D4 in arcade mode? Everyone I know who bought the game (at least one of which was a casual gamer) played it in sim mode. 

20 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

I wonder how many people actually played D4 in arcade mode? Everyone I know who bought the game (at least one of which was a casual gamer) played it in sim mode. 

I don't know either...ok I'll revise my question! I wonder what it would be like in sim mode with all the assists on 😛 Even though its probably harder with half those assists on except maybe ABS.

Edited by SirPhilMcKraken

9 minutes ago, SirPhilMcKraken said:

I don't know either...ok I'll revise my question! I wonder what it would be like in sim mode with all the assists on 😛 Even though its probably harder with half those assists on except maybe ABS.

Sorry, that wasn't me trying to pick holes in your question, it was a separate enquiry! 

I must confess I usually have ABS switched on but, like you say, I would argue that some of the assists make things more difficult rather than easier!

Just now, tbtstt said:

Sorry, that wasn't me trying to pick holes in your question, it was a separate enquiry! 

I must confess I usually have ABS switched on but, like you say, I would argue that some of the assists make things more difficult rather than easier!

I know 🙂 On a controller it is a lot harder with ABS off, I have it turned on with Forza Horizon 4 where I use a controller. With it off it as almost impossible to not lock lol

2 minutes ago, SirPhilMcKraken said:

I know 🙂 On a controller it is a lot harder with ABS off, I have it turned on with Forza Horizon 4 where I use a controller. With it off it as almost impossible to not lock lol

Exactly! I can play with ABS off on the controller, but I find myself having to be so cautious with the brakes I am losing time all over the place. 

29 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Exactly! I can play with ABS off on the controller, but I find myself having to be so cautious with the brakes I am losing time all over the place. 

The XBox One controller even has the vibration feedback triggers which is awesome at letting you feel the road better but its still not enough. Imagine trying to drive a real car with a controller....I kind of want to try that!