Sign in to follow this  

I hope this guy is right, and DR2.0 plays more like Dirt 4. Because I finally played Dirt 4.

they just trying to dial in what works ! few in here have played builds for testing handling porky , bogani , me. they are doing everything they can to deliver a brilliant game. they will show more leading upto the release you gradually build up the hype showing more and more upto release. you dont just do 3 months before release show everything. cause then there is nothing else to show . also some stuff will need finishing tweaking right up until release maybe even after release. thats normal game production now.

dgeesi0 said:
 they just trying to dial in what works ! few in here have played builds for testing handling porky , bogani , me. they are doing everything they can to deliver a brilliant game. they will show more leading upto the release you gradually build up the hype showing more and more upto release. you dont just do 3 months before release show everything. cause then there is nothing else to show . also some stuff will need finishing tweaking right up until release maybe even after release. thats normal game production now.
The Porsche replay footage still frightened the fuck out of a buttload of people though.
Myself included. It wasn't like this in the beta.

yes i would agree . ;)  which is why i commented on it straight away. i think i was the first one saying so.                                                                       

I understand building the hype. But things they should be transparent on are things like unique stage miles and a few of the other things that damaged people's confidence following dirt rally and dirt 4. I'm still buying it but I think a bit more transparency could do no harm. 
I'm left assuming that as there is no news on unique miles it will be the same as dirt rally 1. Which is a bit disappointing. But if there's a definite plan to not just add rallies but maybe add stages for existing ones then I'd be a lot happier. Still buying though so I guess it doesn't matter

dgeesi0 said:
The Porsche replay footage still frightened the **** out of a buttload of people though.
And yet the guy in Milan was 'talking out of his a**' ?

well he could be ? what did he try car wise and what surface weather condition ? so many factors to base a whole game on some guy from milan drove for 2 minutes the game is doomed is a bit strong. isnt it ? i have played 22 hrs . i honestly wouldnt form a proper opinion on that gameplay time of the game and that was mainly testing the same things. over and over.

dgeesi0 said:
The Porsche replay footage still frightened the **** out of a buttload of people though.
Well yeah, he was talking about the game in general. I'm talking about tarmac. Duh.
I am superpicky when it comes to car movement in rally and racing games. If it does not look right, then there's a high chance of it not feeling right - and thus I lose interest. Arcade games such as Dirt 1, 2, and 3 can be excused because... well, they're arcade. But I expect a lot more from serious titles.

Well yeah, he was talking about the game in general. I'm talking about tarmac. Duh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmh5e-9bn8w

Back on topic, having finally played D4 and compared with DR1, I can see the original quote of that guy in Milan is not necessarily a bad thing. DR1 was floaty, finicky, and you felt like you were 'guiding' the car, rather than driving. D4 has grip issues and is noway perfect, but is a lot better in many ways. In fact I am enjoying it more than I did DR1 (remember how awful Finland was in DR1??).

Difficult =/= realistic. Let's wait and see...

Back on topic, having finally played D4 and compared with DR1, I can see the original quote of that guy in Milan is not necessarily a bad thing. DR1 was floaty, finicky, and you felt like you were 'guiding' the car, rather than driving. D4 has grip issues and is noway perfect, but is a lot better in many ways. In fact I am enjoying it more than I did DR1 (remember how awful Finland was in DR1??).
There has been a lot of negativity about the handling in D4, but I thought a lot of areas were improved from DR so, as you say, a new game thathas some connection to D4 isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

Yep Jake, that sums it up pretty well. D4 had a shitload of improvements on DRs physics, just that it felt like they missed the mark and rushed it so they never really got all the parts working together.

I don't see so many people as I thought there might were actually knowing of the importance of tweaking the car setup on dirt rall1, specially in order to make it feel as realistic as possible on tarmac.
I'm sure the fastest guys here will know of it, but I have never seen any telling the rest about it. Did you guys know, for instance, that on dr1 the differential settings are configured the other way around as they should in most cars?
Take the 2000 rally cars for instance (the last generation of cool rally cars before the shit that came later and to this day). The focus ok to be as precise as possible with the example as possible. Do you see the front and rear diff setting, with the front stronger than the rear?, ok, now configure it to the exact opposite but without going too far. Couple of clicks to the left for front accel diff (power ramp) to make it weaker, and the rear couple of three clicks to the right (stronger power ramp), and always being stronger than in the front.
Now you folks go check that diff settings out, and then come back again and tell me D4 handling and physics are better than DR1. Even tarmac will feel borderline realistic now to you on dr1.
This is CM fault folks (because of setting the diffs the opposite way on default settings, god knows why) so worry not about this, but also yours for not playing with setups in order to discover stuff.
Also, anti-roll bars almost set very very low values specially on the rear, even on fast  tarmac stages such as germany, will too help you understand how wrong you folks were when saying d4 physics are an improvement over dr1.
The weird physics you guys were noticing on dr1 were as a result of the wrong differential setups on most cars. Just try this suggestion I give to you, and go basically rediscover a complete different game, which you will notice instantly how much more realistic feels now, specially on tarmac.
The rest of the cars setup is basically what you knew about since the very first days of your rally gamingh experience with cmr1 and2. On tarmac go very low and quite hard on srpings (set anti-roll bars to very low values though, and the same front and rear), and on stages like greece very high ride height, and very soft springs and damping on both front and rear (and no anti-roll bars). This all combined with the differential settings I told you, and you will see the world of a change on dr1 physics, and again, specially on tarmac.
Hope this text wall is of some help for as many as possible, specially those who find d4 physics superior to those of dr1.

there is just way too much "weird" stuff going on with D4 physics.I hopped on it last night after some hours in D1 and i just cant drive it ,other than the Dirt Fish school .IDK how default can be so bad ,but it is LOL 

eii said:
 The weird physics you guys were noticing on dr1 were as a result of the wrong differential setups on most cars. Just try this suggestion I give to you, and go basically rediscover a complete different game, which you will notice instantly how much more realistic feels now, specially on tarmac.
As somebody who has tweaked most cars in DR beyond recognition to hunt stage records, no amount of altered values can remedy the poor excuse that is tarmac V2 handling. Nothing will make them move nor feel right. It's basically hovercraft handling, but with wheels instead of cushions. All precision in the steering vanished. You just glide through every single corner like you would in any Colin McRae Rally game.

eii said:
As somebody who has tweaked most cars in DR beyond recognition to hunt stage records, no amount of altered values can remedy the poor excuse that is tarmac V2 handling. Nothing will make them move nor feel right. It's basically hovercraft handling, but with wheels instead of cushions. All precision in the steering vanished. You just glide through every single corner like you would in any Colin McRae Rally game.
so your opinion as a guru of Dirt Rally been ever addressed by Codies? It seems they would listen to you.Or can nothing be done about tarmac on the old engine?
thanks 
just curious 

so your opinion as a guru of Dirt Rally been ever addressed by Codies? It seems they would listen to you.Or can nothing be done about tarmac on the old engine?
thanks 
just curious 
All I feel safe to say is I think the engine is capable.

Well then CM should look for someone who can open the game up for its potential in the physics department , me thinks :)
As we had numerous pro drivers consulted , and we are still here talking about what could be done all these years later with the tarmac.

Well then CM should look for someone who can open the game up for its potential in the physics department , me thinks :)
As we had numerous pro drivers consulted , and we are still here talking about what could be done all these years later with the tarmac.

I think the issue with something as overarching as the core game engine, is that to achieve the old V1 physics @Porkhammer is talking about would require them to unwind a lot of their changes which made gravel and the other surfaces feel so good.

Basically, at its core, some part of the engine controls that slip feeling which they were able to nail down on the looser surfaces but resulted in even tarmac feeling floaty. They would have to gut the entire engine and rebuild it from the ground up to decouple this relationship (which wouldn't be a bad thing for them to do eventually) and that was not prioritized in an effort to introduce new mechanics and refine the ones they did have for 2.0.

If they are able to work around this and get the tarmac closer to what V1 was it'll be a huge win and an acceptable compromise in my opinion. They had the right idea with D4 but didn't execute it well, and in the process destroyed my beautiful RWDs. Hopefully they can avoid that this time around, and with the Porsche gameplay I think it has potential.

^The engine needs an obvious replacement that's for sure, but as I suggested before, going stronger differential on the rear (like real 4x4 cars are setup btw, not the opposite way we see it by default on dr1) dramatically (for the better) transforms tarmac driving and car feeling on v2 physics too, making them feel closer to the real thing. I mean you will feel the car way more natural when sliding through those tarmac corners, instead of that crap snappy behaviour we all hate on default.
For the lack of downforce or low gravity issue introduced in v2, go hardcore on ride height on tarmac, and increase srpings stiffness by a good margin, but go easy on the dampers (not that stiff). This helps to the car feeling on tarmac like there's no tomorrow as well, but of course when you trip over some obstacle or put one wheel on a ditch then you will be cruelly reminded that you're still running under v2 low gravity damnation
I'm most impressed to realize not everybody was aware about this at all.

eii said:
^The engine needs an obvious replacement that's for sure, but as I suggested before, going stronger differential on the rear (like real 4x4 cars are setup btw, not the opposite way we see it by default on dr1) dramatically (for the better) transforms tarmac driving and car feeling on v2 physics too, making them feel closer to the real thing. I mean you will feel the car way more natural when sliding through those tarmac corners, instead of that **** snappy behaviour we all hate on default.
For the lack of downforce or low gravity issue introduced in v2, go hardcore on ride height on tarmac, and increase srpings stiffness by a good margin, but go easy on the dampers (not that stiff). This helps to the car feeling on tarmac like there's no tomorrow as well, but of course when you trip over some obstacle or put one wheel on a ditch then you will be cruelly reminded that you're still running under v2 low gravity damnation
I'm most impressed to realize not everybody was aware about this at all.

eii said:

You're talking quite a lot of shït, eii.

Oh sorry that I  hadn't read that post of yours. You will have to forgive me, as I tend to care very little about your opinion.

eii said:
Oh sorry that I  hadn't read that post of yours. You will have to forgive me, as I tend to care very little about your opinion.
Likewise. Because it's wrong. Hovercraft physics may feel realistic to plebs, but I assure you that it is not.

Considering the closest thing to a 4x4 you've ever driven irl must be a scooter, your opinion sounds just as valid as that of a high school teen rambling about politics.

And I suppose real rallydrivers that also share my opinion must have been driving the same scooter.