Sign in to follow this  

Do you think F1 2019 should be a stand-alone game or a DLC addon to F1 2018?

I know there’s been a bit of speculation a little while back about some of the code for F1 2019 appearing in the patches for F1 2018. But I’m curious what the overall consensus is from the fans of the series. 

Personally I would like to see Codies release next years game as a DLC for F1 2018 giving them more time to work on a bigger title the following year. As well as that it would mean that the current game continues to be supported into the new year and also means we could see the current lineup of drivers and cars much earlier than the usual late-August release date. 

How does everyone else feel about this?

It makes no sense to keep releasing new games every year when they keep being plagued by the same or similar problems only to either be fixed half-assed or ignored and carried over to the next game

I would stop buying F1 games if codemasters do release F1 2019 as a DLC because how the fuck can they produce a handling model before the season starts and release it in Mid April or May. This whole 2019 DLC just sounds ridiculous

I’m not getting 2019. I’ve not seen a significant jump between titles and I’m pretty happy with my 2018 experience. I know some rumours of additional series floating about the internet but that doesn’t really interest me anyway. 

There needs to be significant time invested into making a product that will deliver a very good all round game. 

We we all know the product cycle of the F1 game, it’s all gone quiet and there’s still some problems the game faces again. Codies will be building 2019 now with a new feature or two. 

Man I really hate when games start shifting toward subscription models and I wonder how gaming companies keep getting away with it... and then I see threads like this.

Zachrulez said:
Man I really hate when games start shifting toward subscription models and I wonder how gaming companies keep getting away with it... and then I see threads like this.
Don’t get me wrong, I would NEVER want to see them go in the direction of a subscription model. Same goes for the majority of software I own. 

The main reason I did the poll was basically because at some point very soon Codies are going to have to develop for next gen consoles (if they haven’t started already), which could possibly lead to another F1 2014/2015 scenario where we end up with a very rushed and incomplete game.

To be honest I can’t see the games getting much better on current gen than 2018, if they offered the 2019 season as DLC then it could allow them another years worth of development time to work on the first PS5/XBox 2 titles.  

Guess we’ll find out over the coming months which way the developers decide to go and work around the transition period to next gen :)

because at some point very soon Codies are going to have to develop for next gen consoles (if they haven’t started already)
Wait what? It's way too early for another engine, the last one created was released in 2018 (the ONRUSH "engine"*) before that 2015 (EGO3). Taking features from ONRUSH engine to EGO3 is currently the most important thing. Why would we need a new engine anyways? I don't believe Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft have even announced something that would require that much power that the EGO3 couldn't handle it...
Anyways DLCs are bad for people that didn't buy the normal version of F1 2018. Base game + DLC will cost more in the end than to buy a completely new game in most cases.

(*)Engine built for a single game, ONRUSH. If I remember correctly the idea is to incorporate its features to EGO3.

That’s true, I do think they were planning on encorporating a lot of what the Evo team had come up with into the other series like F1 and DiRT.  I’m pretty sure that hasn’t happened yet though as we’re still being given F1 games that have slowly been built upon F1 2015’s original engine and foundational coding.  

As far as the PS5 and Xbox 2 are concerned I would be very surprised if we didn’t get an announcement late this year and see the new consoles on sale next year at some point. Guess no one knows for sure officially. 

I do think either way Codies should use the opportunity of a new generation of consoles as an opportunity to start over with the games code, giving us something fresh and built from the ground up again as I genuinely think the F1 2015 code that they’ve been using as a base for the past few years has quite a few flaws at its core that they struggle to iron out bugs when they crop up.  

I do think either way Codies should use the opportunity of a new generation of consoles as an opportunity to start over with the games code, giving us something fresh and built from the ground up again as I genuinely think the F1 2015 code that they’ve been using as a base for the past few years has quite a few flaws at its core that they struggle to iron out bugs when they crop up.  
Like what? I mean you can't go around saying that if you don't know what they are... Also DIRT 4 also runs on EGO3. Don't forget that.

Pretty sure the whole safety car being one problem. Last year every time it came out the AI would ghost and overtake you, something which I have also seen in F1 2018 but thankfully only once. Plus I’m pretty sure there’s something strange in this years game with flashbacks triggering the safety car, if I don’t use flashbacks I hardly see the safety car come out at all even after the ai crash out, but once you use a flashback it seems that within about 10 seconds the safety car appears for the same incident as before. 

I know Codies are a small team and overall I do find the F1 games really enjoyable. I think it’s more the bugs that never get fixed despite patch notes claiming they’ve been fixed, or reappear again year after year that causes frustrations with the players. 

Im not saying the ego engine isn’t capable and as you say they’ve used it on other games such as DiRT 4.  I just feel the initial coding they did for F1 2015 (which was obviously put together under tight deadlines and a rushed release), is where a lot of the fundamental problems lay and why they struggle when it comes to making the following/future games as polished as they could be. 

At the end of the day we all want the games to be as good as they can be, and whilst F1 2018 is definitely the best so far, it’s still far from perfect :)

UP100 said:
 because at some point very soon Codies are going to have to develop for next gen consoles (if they haven’t started already)
Wait what? It's way too early for another engine, the last one created was released in 2018 (the ONRUSH "engine"*) before that 2015 (EGO3). Taking features from ONRUSH engine to EGO3 is currently the most important thing. Why would we need a new engine anyways? I don't believe Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft have even announced something that would require that much power that the EGO3 couldn't handle it...
Anyways DLCs are bad for people that didn't buy the normal version of F1 2018. Base game + DLC will cost more in the end than to buy a completely new game in most cases.

(*)Engine built for a single game, ONRUSH. If I remember correctly the idea is to incorporate its features to EGO3.
Agreed

Congrats on getting the official blessing from F1. Now, there needs to be a whole new business model to support this game. I seriously recommend changing from a “yearly release’ to a “month to month” reoccurring subscription. That will increase a constant revenue stream, and just as important, reduce the churn rate because the sun setting game will not be poor to address issues. Just call it F1. 

Think about it. The yearly game are broken when released because they are learning what is wrong and how to squash the bugs. And the game gets to be broken at the end of life because they are allocating resources to the next release. If they had a game that is always going, always updating, the game would have less and less radical bugs to fix. 

Pretty sure the whole safety car being one problem. Last year every time it came out the AI would ghost and overtake you, something which I have also seen in F1 2018 but thankfully only once. Plus I’m pretty sure there’s something strange in this years game with flashbacks triggering the safety car, if I don’t use flashbacks I hardly see the safety car come out at all even after the ai crash out, but once you use a flashback it seems that within about 10 seconds the safety car appears for the same incident as before. 

I know Codies are a small team and overall I do find the F1 games really enjoyable. I think it’s more the bugs that never get fixed despite patch notes claiming they’ve been fixed, or reappear again year after year that causes frustrations with the players. 

Im not saying the ego engine isn’t capable and as you say they’ve used it on other games such as DiRT 4.  I just feel the initial coding they did for F1 2015 (which was obviously put together under tight deadlines and a rushed release), is where a lot of the fundamental problems lay and why they struggle when it comes to making the following/future games as polished as they could be. 

At the end of the day we all want the games to be as good as they can be, and whilst F1 2018 is definitely the best so far, it’s still far from perfect :)
The safety car glitch after a flashback has also been around in all F1 games. It’s due to AI cars that are in the braking zone or on the turn in point of a corner don’t seem to react as they would have without the flashback and they then crash which then causes the chance of a safety car.  All you can do is retry the flashback in a slightly different position and maybe the AI car won’t crash.  I think this year they also added a glitch where if you crashed and then used a flashback the game seems to remember that a safety car was going to come out and then would still be called out despite there being no accident post flashback

I've would have gone for standalone but since they incapable of fixing issues properly, carried bugs over from one game to another, need assistance from another developer, (Gobo games with F1 2012) Completely and utterly made a shambles that was F1 2015 After they ran out of time developing their game engine which meant the game had to be delayed Also not having the resources or tools they needed which resulted in missing core elements like no tires on the rim of the cars when F1 2015 was finally released. Waiting months after the release (unless you decide to play career mode) for the online to be patched and still there was no guarantees.  

At this point I think a 2019 add on for 2018 would be a fantastic idea.  

personally i feel 2019 should be a DLC add on, IIRC the f1 game licence runs until 2020, codemasters NEED to deliver on their 2020 title, every
race forum i go on i see more and more people wanting a new developer to take over, codemasters have lost a great deal of support over the last couple of years thanks in part to the lack luster development and bugs which have been around for 3+ years with no likely outcome to fix them. If you also look at how bad the online side of things is with this current game, its a wonder how this game passed any sort of QC. They should just put a livery pack together, charge $15 so they can give themselves an extra year and really nail F1 2020, give the game a new lease of life, make it engaging, really listen to what the community have been asking for over the last 5 years. If 2020 is no better than this years game, i can see SMS or another race developer studio getting the licence 

UP100 said: 
Like what? I mean you can't go around saying that if you don't know what they are... Also DIRT 4 also runs on EGO3. Don't forget that.
We're starting to have a very good idea though for both consoles. Some kind of custom AMD SoC with 8 Core Ryzen replacing Jaguar (possibly with SMT), 7nm Navi graphics with some kind of differentiation between base and pro versions (20 compute unit base, 40 compute unit pro), 16GB of system memory. 

With the way Ryzen now has IO die and space for two 8c CPU Dies or alternatively 8c CPU and up to 40 Compute Units...could be they fit it all on one little die which makes cooling the console easier.

Hopefully we're looking at least double the performance on GPU, CPU should annihilate the old Jag cores. They should be much better balanced systems.

FRACTURED said:
UP100 said: 
We're starting to have a very good idea though for both consoles. Some kind of custom AMD SoC with 8 Core Ryzen replacing Jaguar (possibly with SMT), 7nm Navi graphics with some kind of differentiation between base and pro versions (20 compute unit base, 40 compute unit pro), 16GB of system memory. 

With the way Ryzen now has IO die and space for two 8c CPU Dies or alternatively 8c CPU and up to 40 Compute Units...could be they fit it all on one little die which makes cooling the console easier.

Hopefully we're looking at least double the performance on GPU, CPU should annihilate the old Jag cores. They should be much better balanced systems.
If the new consoles have something similar to this coupled to a SSD and the elimination of ESRAM and Playstation limited GPU compared to the Xbox one X the future looks bright. 

I’m not getting 2019. I’ve not seen a significant jump between titles and I’m pretty happy with my 2018 experience. I know some rumours of additional series floating about the internet but that doesn’t really interest me anyway. 

There needs to be significant time invested into making a product that will deliver a very good all round game. 

We we all know the product cycle of the F1 game, it’s all gone quiet and there’s still some problems the game faces again. Codies will be building 2019 now with a new feature or two. 
Yeah same here really I don't think I'll be buying 2019 either. It's got nothing to do with the games though as I like them a lot it's just more the number of hours I spend playing it and I don't spend as many hours these days playing the games. After all I've not even finished my first season yet on 2018 although I'm near the end as I've received my first rule change but I still have a few races to go. So unless CM do come up with something really radical with 2019 like maybe a FIFAesque Journey story mode or something as an example I don't see myself buying. I do like the games 2018 included but I just don't spend as many hours playing them as I used to. I play them a little bit mostly in the summer months and that's probably the time I'm most active on it. It's just not my go to game these days my RPG's usually are.

Chromatic said:
FRACTURED said:
UP100 said: 

If the new consoles have something similar to this coupled to a SSD and the elimination of ESRAM and Playstation limited GPU compared to the Xbox one X the future looks bright. 

Even that new Chinese console running a version of Windows and older AMD tecb would be much better for F1 than my crappy day one xbox lol

FRACTURED said:
Chromatic said:
FRACTURED said:
UP100 said: 

Even that new Chinese console running a version of Windows and older AMD tecb would be much better for F1 than my crappy day one xbox lol

Isn't that chinese console using AMD Ryzen? It's hard to find any information but the specs are close to it. Tbh It's hard to expect what will happen in the future Personally I'm hoping for an SSD and a 7nm Navvi will be the standard on the new consoles in a few years.

I live in hope

Chromatic said:

Isn't that chinese console using AMD Ryzen? It's hard to find any information but the specs are close to it. Tbh It's hard to expect what will happen in the future Personally I'm hoping for an SSD and a 7nm Navvi will be the standard on the new consoles in a few years.

I live in hope

Yeah 1st Gen Ryzen and Vega graphics similar to the Intel NUC with Vega graphics. Slightly weaker CPU and slightly stronger GPU but with 'old' tech. If it played Football Manager I'd love one lol. F1 wouldn't matter anymore.

I assume there is less money in a DLC game, and that is why we will continue to have a stand alone game.

Should be a $30-$40 DLC so they have the incentive to support the game with additional features and bug fixes for a longer period of time.

I’m done with buying this game at full price every year, it’s just not good enough. There are plenty of better alternatives to this series right now.