Sign in to follow this  

Traction Control

I'm trying to run without traction, but I can't figure out how to do it good. If I put to0 much power(100%), I get massive wheelspin. If I put less power(80%) I lose a few tenths compared with traction on medium. Can you give a few tips :p

1. You will always be less fast without traction control. Nothing can be done about that.
  2. Try to find out how much throttle you can apply. It's hard to describe it for someone else, but try to be smooth. Don't simply floor the throttle after a corner, but wait until your front wheels are pointing straight and increase the throttle smooth and fast.
  3. Practice simply will teach you best.

1. You will always be less fast without traction control. Nothing can be done about that.
  2. Try to find out how much throttle you can apply. It's hard to describe it for someone else, but try to be smooth. Don't simply floor the throttle after a corner, but wait until your front wheels are pointing straight and increase the throttle smooth and fast.
I'm on a pad, so I think you mean faster.

try to run a setup made to improve traction (like making the suspensions taller).
You lying. TC blocks a lot of power from the wheels, if you're able to use that power and tame wheelspin you're going to be faster. 

I'm on a pad, so I think you mean faster.
You're right, sorry.

How you change gears will play a huge part in getting the right amount of traction. The most commonly mentioned "problem corner" I've seen is the last corner at Melbourne. To use that as an example, short shift so you're in 5th gear before going through that corner, that way you'll have traction and very little wheelspin. It feels slower but I can assure you that it is quite the opposite.
It also works if you shift up mid corner if you start feeling yourself losing the back end. If you've slowed down enough but can feel the back about to spin out, short shift up.
With chicanes, only go down to first gear on the approach to the corner. After you've slowed enough, upshift to second and then on the exit of the chicane short shift through to fourth/fifth and you should be matching the AI or better.

Also, only use standard or lean fuel mix for slow corners. Rich fuel mix should only be used for straights or faster sections of the track and if your tyres are in good condition. Never use rich fuel if you're in a section of a track which mostly uses gears 1-4 unless you're completely confident.

How you change gears will play a huge part in getting the right amount of traction. The most commonly mentioned "problem corner" I've seen is the last corner at Melbourne. To use that as an example, short shift so you're in 5th gear before going through that corner, that way you'll have traction and very little wheelspin. It feels slower but I can assure you that it is quite the opposite.
It also works if you shift up mid corner if you start feeling yourself losing the back end. If you've slowed down enough but can feel the back about to spin out, short shift up.
With chicanes, only go down to first gear on the approach to the corner. After you've slowed enough, upshift to second and then on the exit of the chicane short shift through to fourth/fifth and you should be matching the AI or better.

Also, only use standard or lean fuel mix for slow corners. Rich fuel mix should only be used for straights or faster sections of the track and if your tyres are in good condition. Never use rich fuel if you're in a section of a track which mostly uses gears 1-4 unless you're completely confident.
Thanks for the tips. Short shifting is shifting before the purple light right? And I thought you should use 2nd gear in the slow corners except in Monaco.

Thanks for the tips. Short shifting is shifting before the purple light right? And I thought you should use 2nd gear in the slow corners except in Monaco.
With the first few gears I'd say even before any of the rev lights come on (especially in the wet weather). Changing into fourth and fifth I'd say just before purple then you can go full revs for anything above.
Yeah use second gear for navigating the corner, drop down to first when slowing down for the corner and then change to second to get around it. The only corners I'd personally recommend navigating in first gear are hairpins and then short shift on exit.

You have to especially carful in the wet as well. Really have to feed the throttle to. It'll be frustrating as the AI are just super quick. 

Really echo what what many have said. It's feeding the throttle. Get all your braking and gear changes down before you are turning and then slowly apply the throttle out the corner. Too much and you will light the rears up. 

Pay attention to the force feedback in the pad. If it's rumbling when pulling away and your not on a kerb then take a little out the throttle, straighten it up more and then bring the throttle back in. 

You don't want to pump the throttle as your wasting more time. 

As you said you were on the pad, im guessing you are doing grand prix mode or career? If so change your fuel mix to standard or lean when going into the corners, this is what i do and i get very little wheel spin, if you leave your fuel in rich without assists on the pad (for ps3 which is what im on) you will get alot of wheelspin, if anyone doesnt believe me give it a try, rich on the straights standard in the corners

As you said you were on the pad, im guessing you are doing grand prix mode or career? If so change your fuel mix to standard or lean when going into the corners, this is what i do and i get very little wheel spin, if you leave your fuel in rich without assists on the pad (for ps3 which is what im on) you will get alot of wheelspin, if anyone doesnt believe me give it a try, rich on the straights standard in the corners
I already knew that. But still thanks for the tip!

I already knew that. But still thanks for the tip!
So how are you struggling with traction then..?