Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Down For Maintenance | 26/07/2021 ×

DiRT Rally 2.0 - Share your Videos!

• Social Media & Community Team
9 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

Nah, not this time, I'm 7.5 seconds away of your time, not sure what the problem is, but my guess is the setup.
I had to use GTR Technicals dry setup, because he doesn't have one for wet.

You could PM me your setup, to see if I can keep up with you 🤗

Sure, I have the setup recorded so I'll send you screens 🙂 

• Thanks 1
On 4/15/2021 at 5:39 PM, dgeesi0 said:

haha pj quoted his own video :classic_biggrin: tempted to just go smash this slow time. but really cant be bothered. literally most of the recent videos promoted are pjs videos. ive never known a community person manager connected with a game who promotes their own stuff so much. nothing against you but you pretty slow....yet all this coverage. imagine people like me who havent played for a while can just smash the times by quite a bit and cant be bothered because we know you promoting publishing your own stuff all the time. seems odd.

locations guides... your ten seconds off people like me without even trying...i stop doing videos because of this then he promotes his self going even slower. it makes no sense.

Ehh, this is just a thread with a bunch of videos though DG, and PJ has a right to just post his vid here as a driver, I think it might be his first WR and he's working the RWD's quite a bit.  I see it as fair play.   If it was pinned here or in reddit, I'd definitely raise an eyebrow.   Now it seems Eagleizer got all worked up and took the WR.  😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Where does PJ promote his own videos? I can't find anything on the Codies blog. The DiRT Rally School section contains Jon's videos only and I can't find PJ's videos on the DiRT Rally 2.0 website either. He has got his own channel, I don't know why he shouldn't do his thing and try to grow it. 

And why does anyone get all worked up? About what exactly? 

Edited by richie
  • Agree 1

maybe i was being a bit of a **** tbh. congrats pj. eagle smashed it. no need to bang the wheel out. what was eagles time by the way ? :classic_biggrin:

richie tbh. its a mixture of things that dont really need to be mentioned in here. also how certain things were handled done. doesnt matter. good luck on the videos pj. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by dgeesi0

Yeah @Eagleizer’s run was amazing, here it is.

We all know the rule, if somebody shares their World Record others are obligated to beat it and I’m glad Eagleizer has smashed my time. It’s how we all push ourselves to go faster 🙂 

That 2.59 is pretty close to the dry World Record, he should go for that too.

• Agree 1
On 4/15/2021 at 7:02 PM, JorritVD said:

Audi S1 Quattro RX on a Rally stage 😵

I’d like to get peoples’ thoughts on this video.

Lets ignore the obvious, that it’s using a mod Codemasters doesn’t like (as it circumvents licensing agreements with manufacturers).

There was a decent discussion in Discord recently about how this video is misleading due to the ultra-wide FOV making it appear faster than it already was, and whether onboards should always be representative or sometimes dolled up for dramatic effect purely as an entertainment piece and not as an educational tool.

@dgeesi0 you're pretty quick, thoughts on this one? I reckon the time is beatable in an R5.

• Haha 2

Congratulations to Mr. Eagleizer. Still not sure why all the beef. I'd be more impressed if he would've done it in the Ascona tbf :classic_tongue: 

I don't know if Mike really tried, but he's pretty fast too and it seems he couldn't beat the time. So PJ's time is still decent and I just don't know why he shouldn't be proud of it, especially because he hasn't been playing on a wheel for ages like many of the faster guys. Someone sets a WR and shares it with the community, other people join the party and beat their time. It looks to me like business as usual, so why is this different now? I don't get it. 

Edited by richie
  • Like 3
Just now, richie said:

Congratulations to Mr. Eagleizer. Still not sure why all the beef. I'd be more impressed if he would've done it in the Ascona tbf :classic_tongue: 

There's no beef, DG already said he over reacted.  The case is closed.

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

Lets ignore the obvious, that it’s using a mod Codemasters doesn’t like (as it circumvents licensing agreements with manufacturers).

There was a decent discussion in Discord recently about how this video is misleading due to the ultra-wide FOV making it appear faster than it already was, and whether onboards should always be representative or sometimes dolled up for dramatic effect purely as an entertainment piece and not as an educational tool.

@dgeesi0 you're pretty quick, thoughts on this one? I reckon the time is beatable in an R5.

videos not bad nice set up. does some odd things in corners but the physics on tarmac can make you handbrake or do weird stuff to compensate. i like the sense of speed in it but it does seem a tad overdone.

5 hours ago, bn880 said:

There's no beef, DG already said he over reacted.  The case is closed.

I read what dgeesi0 said, I was referring to Eagleizer, who - as you say - got 'all worked up' and had to beat his time. It comes across a bit aggressive tbh, I just find that it's a shame that it has to be like this. 

Edited by richie
12 hours ago, richie said:

I read what dgeesi0 said, I was referring to Eagleizer, who - as you say - got 'all worked up' and had to beat his time. It comes across a bit aggressive tbh, I just find that it's a shame that it has to be like this. 

Ahh no, I was being a bit funny/dramatic. 🙂  But we know the Eagle did in history put it a lot of work for his times. (not this time for sure, but in WS etc)

13 hours ago, richie said:

@Eagleizer was totally cool about it all. Records are meant to be beaten; I set one, he beat it, and I was one of the first to congratulate him 🙂 

He even gave tips on where he made the time.

I think the uphill right after start is important to get right. The square right at the top even more so. Every km/h lost out of that turn is carried all the way to next sector, so going wide into that turn and start accelerating carefully on the way in is where a lot can be gained. It's very tricky though because the wider you go, the looser it gets.

Same, the square right in sector 2 is important to go slow enough down to it to be able to accelerate through it to get good speed out.

Daring to keep the speed from sector 1 into sector 2 is also a place to shave off a good amount of time, if you can make the left curve in sector 2. I know most of the trees there now 😉

Where I suddenly gained a lot is to go under the branches in the beginning of sector 4, (not hitting the log pile 😛 ) and then brake enough to be able to keep tight through the long right corner at the end of that downhill "stretch". I quickly gained a couple of seconds by getting those right.

Getting the gears right is also very important on this stage. Most important, my 5th is maxing out 100 meter before the first split, and 4th is just a tad shorter to handle the first left curve in sector 2, which as you mention is very sketchy. I don't think there's any other stage where I have my 5th so short that I drive on the RPM limiter more than 10 meter.

I tried with longer 5th, but it gets too slow and unstable on the bumps in sector 3, but my setup is very twitchy, as you can see when I enter sector 2.

Heck I set another record last night and the first thing I did was hop on to @Mike Dee's stream, telling him to beat it (which he did).

It's all a bit of friendly, low stakes competition as we learn to push ourselves further 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

yeah if you want to get better then you need to be pushed. there are lots of great players and you need people to beat each others times for you to get better. for the ultra top times you literally have to become the car the event and its almost like dancing. :classic_biggrin: probably 2 or 3 seconds to come off that time with a great run.

I just did remove all my DR 2.0 VR gameplay videos from youtube. Reason for this is that video isn't on right scale so it wont be very immersive to watch. streamed gameplay on desktop is 4:3 or 16:9 and if you record it you get it wrong, because we only have one eye streamed to desktop which aspect is 1:1. You need to combine left and right eye to desktop view to get right scale or this happens. I don't know why stream has black borders either, steamVR has option to see mirrored image without black borders and left+right eye combined, but if you record this you get lot of stuttering problems, game should have combined these automatically on desktop, not just one eye.

On 4/17/2021 at 4:10 PM, PJTierney said:

There was a decent discussion in Discord recently about how this video is misleading due to the ultra-wide FOV making it appear faster than it already was.

It was quite cool to see this perspective once of the Audi RX, just like it was real life at Rally Legend with Dovi behind the wheel (so strange it’s not allowed by Codies or licensing).

Tbh, I don’t like real rally or racing pov videos. They usually are fisheye lenses, and therefore overall has a to high speed sense. Even a slow street Dacia you can make fast this way. 

Though it also depends on your screen size. Basically how smaller the screen, how faster the sense of speed is. And an other factor is the FPS.

I have competed in the Dutch Championship go-karting with a 6-speed kart. So I know a bit of speed. Also I not have the slowest street car with a Mustang. And I did a co-drive in an Audi R8 LMS ultra GT3 at Spa and both my Mustang and the Audi didn’t feel super fast. 

Overall I think I have a pretty good idea what the sense of speed is when i watch a video.

I saw once a video of Richard Abra with a Pivothead in an Aston GT3 at Snetterton. The sense of speed is than pretty much slower and normal. Cant find it now.

but this video of a F488 at Abu Dhabi is also a good example. FYI normally a better camera or your eyes would minimalise the shaking and things. But I think overall this video shows it’s not going that fast actually and shows a better/normal sense of speed.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, dgeesi0 said:

yeah if you want to get better then you need to be pushed. there are lots of great players and you need people to beat each others times for you to get better. for the ultra top times you literally have to become the car the event and its almost like dancing. :classic_biggrin: probably 2 or 3 seconds to come off that time with a great run.

An old "joke" motto I used to live by when I was playing Halo CE and Halo 2 religiously as a youngin was that "I'd rather get my ass kicked by someone better than me, than beat people worse than me". But honestly it has been really true through all of the years in other games too. It takes people pushing you and forcing you to innovate on your approach for you to grow and get better. That's why I love the friendly banter in all of the Discords where people get into little battles over stages or weekly TT events cause everyone to find 7 seconds on a stage they were convinced they had maxed out.

• Like 2

yeah dont see it as a hes or shes just smashed my time. i always seen it as where do i need to get better. it actually feels great when you pushing your absolute limits as you know you are doing your best. feels great. :classic_biggrin: then when you get that dream run or push that extra half a second you like yeeehah.

On 4/15/2021 at 10:39 PM, dgeesi0 said:

locations guides... your ten seconds off people like me without even trying

In amongst all the video chat this weekend I wanted to touch back on this as it's a good point of discussion, but we got side-tracked with other videos/topics in the last page or so that I didn't want to derail.

I am of the opinion that you don’t need to be #1 to teach people, as skill gain is like a ladder. I have the ability to bring people from absolute beginner to Top 3% (which is just below "esports pace"), and by the time they’re at that level they should be smart enough to work out the rest.

While a #1 player giving tips is useful, they subconsciously do so many things that a beginner may get lost and the video is of less help than somebody slightly better than them. I’m that slightly better person, helping to raise the skill floor. They can reach the ceiling afterwards.

The presenter "assuming all viewers know certain things" when they explain a specific term is an issue I see with several tutorials online, and unless a channel has a content plan or at the very least links to the super-basic stuff the educational value of the video is lost on people that just picked up the game. Take F1 for example; while a pro player is telling people to trail-brake every corner in their track guide, half the audience has already wrapped their car around a fence at Turn 1 because they don't even know how to brake properly in the first place.

My goal is to fill that knowledge gap, so that when people watch high performance videos like your World Record runs they understand why you're so quick, rather than sitting there assuming they have no hope of being good at all. When they "get it" they're more motivated to watch more high performance runs, and to try out the techniques themselves.

I am well aware that I am not the fastest driver in the world, but in all fairness I'm still pretty quick compared to the rest of the playerbase, and I have enough experience to teach people to go a little faster and enjoy their games more, and based on the comments I get on a daily basis they're getting that value.

Anyway, thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Thanks For Coming To My TED Talk | Know Your Meme

• Like 1

Anyways, while I'm here I may as well drop my latest guide on how to be slow 😉 

Driving while talking, while coming up with a script on the fly, and without a codriver, is hard but a fun challenge 🙂 

If I was doing these videos around launch I'd go down the route of recording separate VO and putting a faster run together (heck if I was at Codemasters 5-6 months before the game's launch I'd have made official videos for Day 1), but they were all recorded during some livestreams where people were asking questions, so I did some multitasking instead 🙂 

• Like 2

pk you do a great job. keep doing it. keep up the guides. videos.

its hard sometimes to get across what some may see or even feel with passion. it may come across as big headed or like being a ***** sometimes. the actual end hope is as always has been to make dirt games better. you have to push for that. people who are passionate or skilled or believe in something will always do that or push or try for better outcome.

thing is im a real honest kinda guy i call things as i see em. that wont please all but many know its often down to wanting the best for dirt games.

i do get disheartened at lack lustre or general normal being. i want people to do there best or be as good as they can.

the phrase you quoted while seems mean is the exact truth. ten seconds off. thats a proper proper run. thats the proper world record time i know i can do that for eg. i know others can.

the fact you quoted it and eagle pushed out a near 8 second lead on it with little practice kinda also shows how it is. that doesnt mean anything about you but it does to me kinda confirm what puzzles me about whats promoted to help dirt rally games grow. make it better.

guides do help many people. thats great. the thing is how is a guide validated ? its validated by working. now how do you know it works ? the person doing it should show it working or to be great. now....imagine just taking default set up and smashing the times of these guides. it just shows how most guides are bs. yet those guides are promoted.

while it can come across personal its more about how videos work with dirt rally. its basically either you have a massive subscriber base ooh...my hes great. yet slow. or its make a guide promote it does the guide actually work better than default ? mostly no.

the funny thing is most people can be up there if they practice or are given the right tutorials or guides.

you do need to be on top of the game to teach people or better than majority you teach. so people know that what you say is true. they can see it. believe it. if you just catering for people who casually play...which i understand why, then that isnt pushing anything. its actually a tip for you. do fun guides or " casual guides " you also need those proper serious runs guides for those that want it.

that way you cater for all.

i feel currently there is missing things which could be done better or represented better. many are what ive said for a while. you do need people to push dirt games to get better. just settling for average wont work.

Edited by dgeesi0
  • Like 1

Thanks for replying 🙂 

9 hours ago, dgeesi0 said:

guides do help many people. thats great. the thing is how is a guide validated ? its validated by working. now how do you know it works ? the person doing it should show it working or to be great. now....imagine just taking default set up and smashing the times of these guides. it just shows how most guides are bs.

That's partly why I wanted to try and get at least 1 World Record somewhere (even temporarily), so that I can have it on the channel as proof that I know what I'm talking about to some degree. I've done that now (and have another coming on Wednesday) and although @Eagleizer has beaten it I feel I showed enough skill in that video to validate the surface-level tips I give in other guides.

while it can come across personal its more about how videos work with dirt rally. its basically either you have a massive subscriber base ooh...my hes great.

We've discussed this at length in the past. From a brand perspective views are one of the most important metrics when it comes to working officially with content creators. Also, I must point out that just because something isn't entertaining to you specifically doesn't mean it's completely worthless.

I've noticed a trend in Henrik M's videos recently, since I know that's who you're on about. He's started putting stunts into the runs (3:10 below).

I don't know specifically why he's done that but I did have a chat with him recently about content in general, and he tells me that he has 2 goals for the channel when it comes to content creation:

• Make content he enjoys making.
  • Keep it simple for the audience.

The topic of pace or records didn't come up at all as his goals are more simple, make something that's fun.

It may not be to your tastes (and onboards in general are not that interesting to me as I'd rather drive than watch somebody drive), but the #1 goal of any creator on YouTube is to make content that satisfies the target audience. If it gets a lot of views and you or I don't enjoy it, then clearly it's not a video targeted at us. If it's targeted well and doesn't get a lot of views guess what, your target audience isn't that big to begin with. Casual content will always have a wider reach than something laser-focused and if somebody is making content specifically for that audience, then they know what they're doing.

This is a good video on that topic by the way.

if you just catering for people who casually play...which i understand why, then that isnt pushing anything. its actually a tip for you. do fun guides or " casual guides " you also need those proper serious runs guides for those that want it.

Once I get to the level where I can provide more value to the Top 1% of players (and not the bottom 97% like I do now), I'll make guides for them too. At some point I want to fully learn how to tune cars well, and put that knowledge out there 🙂 

I have also done some "serious run" guides before, specifically around the Colin McRae Achievements and setting fast times at Scotland. I even smashed the 100% AI difficulty time to illustrate those tips. I'd like to do more of those but the game's 2 years old and I'm better off saving those content ideas for whatever game comes next when search traffic will be higher (you know how much I like to focus on the data).

Going back to your topic of "BS", I don't like doing guides on things I don't feel qualified to talk about. It's why I didn't do a detailed F1 setup guide, only a surface level one that covers the basics. I feel I have enough skill and experience in DiRT Rally 2.0 to teach a decent amount of people, to at least bring them up to my level. Once I get closer to #1 on a regular basis I can then bring them up further; like I said previously, it's like a ladder in that nobody should go from the bottom to the top right away as that's too much pressure 🙂 

Finally, I want to touch on your point about video promotion, specifically my videos. I'll admit that in the past I pushed my own content too much on official channels, to the point where I no longer share my videos/tweets etc. on official Twitter/Facebook/Instagram.

Where possible now, if I have something of mine that would be good to share on the official channels, I investigate if I can make an improved version of it as an official video. F1 2020 is a good example (links in signature) in that although I have my own guides that get zero social media support from Codemasters channels, I also have official guides for the game which have gotten hundreds of thousands of views on the main channel. I want to do the same for DiRT Rally but as mentioned, it's too late for that now considering what's may be coming in the future, but if and when a new game comes around, I want official content out there Day 1.

Forums and Reddit are different, as it's a place for everybody (even people like myself) to share content not as "brands", but as individual players (side-note, the tips post is no longer pinned). I share stuff like this not because of any metrics or overall brand strategy because Reddit's not the place for that, but because I thought it was funny and people would laugh (and they did).

As for the forum, this thread is entitled "Share your videos". I made a video, and I shared it, simple 🙂  

I may have a red tag under my name but I'm a player just like you, and if I only stuck to "official postings" you might not see me here at all for long periods of time. 

Side-note, World Record runs typically perform poorly on official socials as the demand for them is so low (because most of the playerbase are not that quick or are simply not interested in stretching beyond their comfort zone), that's why they don't show up on the main socials too often. As mentioned previously, there is a low risk place to occasionally share them, and that's here.

• Like 1

I'd like to know what people think about lines like in Henrik's video at the 3:29 mark, certainly worth a second or two. There's a similar line to take at Hämelahti. I can't take these lines but I'm most likely just limiting myself in refusing to do the same. 

Edited by richie