Sign in to follow this  

Little, but big things that kinda bug me

I am really finally starting to enjoy this game. There are so many "In Game" cars to buy, I don't bother with any DLC really. I really like how they all handle and sound different. Most sound really good, and my Fanatec Elite wheel feels really nice with the game. I love using the H-gate with clutch when applicable. So much fun, but not so fast.(for me anyway)

The little things, which I think are kinda big things, really surprise me they get it wrong. One thing that really bugs me is when in Street mode in San Francisco, what I assume, is the one and only Golden Gate Bridge, (GGB) shows up prominently on the track background. It is painted a whitish "color". I can't believe it is not the world renowned iconic orange. People that are from other countries recognize the GGB b/c it is painted orange! Being white washed, I am not even sure it is the GGB, as a US citizen for 55 years.  :o  If they would had made it orange, there would be no doubt, pretty much to anyone. It's almost as bad if you painted the White House red! LOL.

Is it just me being anal-retentive? What do you all think? Like I said, I love the game overall, now that CM has got most of the bugs out. I think it is good solid entertainment and am glad I bought it for sure. It has a ton of content to keep me busy for months on end, but that GGB being white washed is crazy...no?

That would be the  Bay Bridge, which is Grey.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/Bay_Bridge_Panorama_%282874181431%29.jpg/1280px-Bay_Bridge_Panorama_%282874181431%29.jpg

Tark9m said:
That would be the  Bay Bridge, which was Grey.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/091102-bay-bridge-10a.jpg
Ok,. Thanks...My mistake then. My apologies to CM. I should have done my research first.

Tark9m said:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/Bay_Bridge_Panorama_%282874181431%29.jpg/1280px-Bay_Bridge_Panorama_%282874181431%29.jpg
Yeah, one of the best thing I think in the game is how almost all of the street circuits are placed on real world streets. You can literally print screen the relevant part of San Francisco, Washington, Chicago, Paris and Dubai Marina from Google Maps and just highlight the tracks in Paint (I did :P). These five locations contain only minor inaccuracies compared to real life, like purposefully widened streets and some short fictional in-game parts to connect the circuits.

It makes me really feel like I'm currently striding away on the streets of those iconic cities.

Barcelona is the only track which is way off the mark in terms of realism; it's just a slap dash of landmarks around the city.

Atticvs said:
Tark9m said:

Yeah, one of the best thing I think in the game is how almost all of the street circuits are placed on real world streets. You can literally print screen the relevant part of San Francisco, Washington, Chicago, Paris and Dubai Marina from Google Maps and just highlight the tracks in Paint (I did :P). These five locations contain only minor inaccuracies compared to real life, like purposefully widened streets and some short fictional in-game parts to connect the circuits.

That's pretty interesting...cool idea. Thanks.

Zebrawire said:
I am really finally starting to enjoy this game. There are so many "In Game" cars to buy, I don't bother with any DLC really. I really like how they all handle and sound different. Most sound really good, and my Fanatec Elite wheel feels really nice with the game. I love using the H-gate with clutch when applicable. So much fun, but not so fast.(for me anyway)

The little things, which I think are kinda big things, really surprise me they get it wrong. One thing that really bugs me is when in Street mode in San Francisco, what I assume, is the one and only Golden Gate Bridge, (GGB) shows up prominently on the track background. It is painted a whitish "color". I can't believe it is not the world renowned iconic orange. People that are from other countries recognize the GGB b/c it is painted orange! Being white washed, I am not even sure it is the GGB, as a US citizen for 55 years.  :o  If they would had made it orange, there would be no doubt, pretty much to anyone. It's almost as bad if you painted the White House red! LOL.

Is it just me being anal-retentive? What do you all think? Like I said, I love the game overall, now that CM has got most of the bugs out. I think it is good solid entertainment and am glad I bought it for sure. It has a ton of content to keep me busy for months on end, but that GGB being white washed is crazy...no?

Well, if you were looking in your rear view mirror for the cars behind you you wouldn't have to worry about the color of the bridge.. O , did I say rear  view mirror ?  LOL !    You are so correct saying little things being big things in this game ..... This is the perfect  should have , could have , would have been the best racing game put together if only the little things were there to make it a big thing... I really enjoy  playing this very addictive game . I know it sounds like whining but it is really just constructive criticism with the hope Codies can fix all the little things to big things....I really do like it...

Now isn't that an insult to console users .  Maybe I should go and get the PC version and put it next to my X-Box version on the shelf until CM can figure out what they are doing....LOL....  Does the PS version do anything special that warrants buying that version also....   This is a fun game and I don't want to miss anything...  Hey, maybe CM can figure it out someday and explain it to us , just so we could understand all of this confusion ..... Or maybe they will just fix it and us poor slobs that are sticking with the  360 for now can enjoy the last and best racing game ever made for it.

Now isn't that an insult to console users .  Maybe I should go and get the PC version and put it next to my X-Box version on the shelf until CM can figure out what they are doing....LOL....  Does the PS version do anything special that warrants buying that version also....   This is a fun game and I don't want to miss anything...  Hey, maybe CM can figure it out someday and explain it to us , just so we could understand all of this confusion ..... Or maybe they will just fix it and us poor slobs that are sticking with the  360 for now can enjoy the last and best racing game ever made for it.
It has been discussed to death on these forums, PC has more power to do things the console can't. simple as that, next gen will bring more goodies to the table, enjoy the game as it is because it is done and dusted, the game now works on all platfoms.

The consoles are nearly 10 years old, you can only flog a dead horse for so long before it decays into dust, PC has better graphics, rear view mirror and maybe other bits and bobs that I can't remember, edit oh yeah occulus and 3d support, the basic game is the same though and the driving experience is the same across all platforms.

Also it would be a kick in the teeth if the PC didn't have extras as they are more capable and up to date and some people spend ££££s on PC's so imagine if you bought a PS4 and could only play PS3 games on it, you would be pretty pissed off wouldn't you?

The stupid thing is Grid 1 had mirrors and a fairly detailed cockpit. So where did they go wrong???Consoles haven't changed since that came out. Adding too much detail to shit that doesn't matter like a bridge or an adult magazine store front in downtown San Francisco shouldn't take away from the racing. Mirrors are kinda important in racing. Least they could have done is give us a spotter. 

The stupid thing is Grid 1 had mirrors and a fairly detailed cockpit. So where did they go wrong???Consoles haven't changed since that came out. Adding too much detail to shit that doesn't matter like a bridge or an adult magazine store front in downtown San Francisco shouldn't take away from the racing. Mirrors are kinda important in racing. Least they could have done is give us a spotter. 
I totally agree with you, they should have left the eye candy out and put in a mirror but what is done is done unfortunately.

Yeah, I just Google Mapped the San Fran Course and did street view.  It's close but not really. They took alot of liberties in spending all of our available RAM on details that aren't even right. The sad part is the San Francisco course would not be the least bit feasible as a real world course. I've still yet to look from the top of Mt Panorama. Dial back the detail and give us our damn mirrors. 
Look at it for yourself. 
Starts at The Embardacero, right on Howard, right on Steuart, left on Market, slight right onto California, right on Davis, right on Market again, around Mechanics Monument (which you can't really see) onto Bush St, then right on Montgomery, left on California to a right on Taylor to Pacific. Down Pacific which is no-where near as open as it appears in the game to Columbus and left onto Washington for the sprint back down to The Embardacero. So look at it for yourself and ask @Loore why our limited RAM was wasted on a sorry excuse for detail on a track that's not really even close to the real thing. 

Yeah, I just Google Mapped the San Fran Course and did street view.  It's close but not really. They took alot of liberties in spending all of our available RAM on details that aren't even right. The sad part is the San Francisco course would not be the least bit feasible as a real world course. I've still yet to look from the top of Mt Panorama. Dial back the detail and give us our damn mirrors. 
Look at it for yourself. 
Starts at The Embardacero, right on Howard, right on Steuart, left on Market, slight right onto California, right on Davis, right on Market again, around Mechanics Monument (which you can't really see) onto Bush St, then right on Montgomery, left on California to a right on Taylor to Pacific. Down Pacific which is no-where near as open as it appears in the game to Columbus and left onto Washington for the sprint back down to The Embardacero. So look at it for yourself and ask @Loore why our limited RAM was wasted on a sorry excuse for detail on a track that's not really even close to the real thing. 
I like detail, if your rig can not handle it dial back your display settings or add more RAM.

Also unless you have very little RAM the detail in the game is not a RAM issue, it is a VRAM issue which can be solved via a dedicated GPU.

Many PC guys build rigs specifically to get every bit of available detail, telling codies to roll back to 16 bit graphics is not in my opinion what the majority of PC gamers want.  

There are settings available in the game to dumb down graphics to let you play the game on a machine with limited capabilities already.

My only complaint with recent codies graphics is that the world is at times a bit too shiny. Dirt 2was stunning in part because the world was a little more real and a tad less shiny.  The same can be said for the Monte Carlo DLC in D3. Monte Carlo had stunning detail, but less shine.

In short give us detail down to the single blade of grass!! There are settings for rigs that cant handle it. 

Look at it for yourself. 
Yeah, as I said, it's a lot wider as far as I can tell, I'm aware of it. (I've not looked on Street View extensively.) It's OK for me, it's for gameplay's sake, I guess.

It's still a lot better than Barcelona with the completely fictional route, or the point-to-point tracks which are also fictional. (Real landmarks put together on a fictional route.)

All the BS aside , race cars have mirrors and I think they make pit stops to... Forza had no problem , how many years ago ?
As for the BS . Most comments are full of good info and facts but somehow CM has a  few satisfied customers who find a need to defend them...
To each his own as they say.....but I can't ...

Things that wind me up while playing are not having a fix all button but having to fix each part of the car separately, cars not showing if you've already brought them of not, lack of garages for cars you've already purchased via DLC then CM having the balls to only allow you to buy them from the garage with in game money but you have to buy a garage to put it in, I've already bought them with sterling £££ there has to be a BS reason there not automatically placed into additional garages in game. and then there not having a full track map or real sector/lap times shown on the osd, the list goes on and on but these aren't anything we all don't expect from a decent racer these days and not to much to ask for

Tark9m said:
Look at it for yourself. 
I like detail, if your rig can not handle it dial back your display settings or add more RAM.

Also unless you have very little RAM the detail in the game is not a RAM issue, it is a VRAM issue which can be solved via a dedicated GPU.

Many PC guys build rigs specifically to get every bit of available detail, telling codies to roll back to 16 bit graphics is not in my opinion what the majority of PC gamers want.  

There are settings available in the game to dumb down graphics to let you play the game on a machine with limited capabilities already.

My only complaint with recent codies graphics is that the world is at times a bit too shiny. Dirt 2was stunning in part because the world was a little more real and a tad less shiny.  The same can be said for the Monte Carlo DLC in D3. Monte Carlo had stunning detail, but less shine.

In short give us detail down to the single blade of grass!! There are settings for rigs that cant handle it. 
I'm on a Console..