The Stuff Thread

So cute, already seeing the love and devotion in his puppy eyes. Amazing how quickly we humans become their 'world' and that we stay that way, for their whole lives. My Amelie, old girl she is now still looks at me like that.

Sadly not all humans are like that and get rid of them when they grow up.

It's a good job I booked a week off, as every 3 hours I have to wake up and let him out to the toilet. He sleeps on my bed in hid dog basket, but I've put special mats down so that if he does have an accident it doesn't go on my bedding. When I woke at 7am he was cuddled up to me asleep :love:

My 6 year old dog is still scared of him. They were eating next to each other, Teddy looks up at Charlie, Charlie sees this and runs away :joy: I think once Charlie realises Teddy is a dog he will be ok lol.

I know a little bit about animal behaviour patterns, I did canine behaviour in 2nd year animal science as an undergrad.  IIRC if you take the two for a walk (smells, sounds and both being on a leash) that will help your older dog to make the cognitive leap that this new thing is the same as him. If they are doing the same things and being treated the same while out (dogs brains reach their most active state when outside and exposed to all stimuli) that will trigger the associative parts of his brain/memory and he will possibly make those cognitive connections quicker. This will also help your new dog for when you are not home and he can feel safe left with the the older dog.

Problem is I can't take him for a walk for another 4 weeks. He has a second vaccination in two weeks  and then I have to wait two weeks after that. I might just take them out and around my car and back. Thanks for the tips though  :)

I've now put Teddy in a big pen rather than on my bed at night, until he's fully trained. I'm expecting some crying tonight but I'm sure he'll get used to it

It used to break my heart when my dog cried as a puppy when I made her get off my bed and stay in her basket at night. The crying lasted about a week, she still creeps towards me during the night 15 years later. By that I mean she ends up on the carpet right next to me so I trip on her if I get up during the night (shes always back in the basket in the morning, thinks I cant hear her breathing closer lol). If my partner is away I relent and let her sleep at the end of the bed so I get awoken by bad dog breath and sloppy kisses haha.

Anyway mate I think your pup is in very good hands and everything will be fine :)

I'm so tired, Teddy had me awake 5 times in the night, it was really wet and windy outside so I'm sure the noise woke him up. He screams when he wants me, it's like having a baby atm.

Once he can hold his bladder through the night I'll have him on my bed at night like I normally do with my dogs. When Charlie was a puppy he always slept on my bed, but a pug is even smaller than a shih tzu so they have a smaller bladder. But Charlie wasn't a normal puppy, he was pretty much house trained after a week, which is crazy for a dog.

Charlie is still scared of Teddy, it's annoying that I have another 3 and a bit weeks until I can walk them together, as like Kittyfit said things will get better then.

Hehe my Amelie still hates storms, she barks at the thunder and hides under the covers if its close. HAHA

One thing I could suggest is inviting both of them up on your lap together, let them snuggle with you together and even fall asleep on your lap. That should help a little. Is charlie exhibiting any anxiety? Abnormal behaviours like barking/sleeplessness/loss of appetite or weeing inside? I'm not a vet (was a vet nurse for a bit tho), so I hope I'm on the right track here. :)

The only thing Charlie is doing is running away when ever Teddy runs towards him. Everything else is normal. Charlie did go up to Teddys pen to have a sniff this morning and even say next to me when I had Teddy, but as soon as Teddy went towards Charlie he ran away. Small progress, but progress none the less. Teddy is desperate to play with him, when Charlie accepts him it'll make my life easier.

I only had 4 hours sleep last night as Teddy kept waking up and screaming for me. I resist taking him out of his pen for a cuddle, because otherwise he'll learn that doing that will get him attention. Instead o try and calm him with my voice which works sometimes.

Dogs learn through smell and taste, hopefully Charlie will do some more sniffing soon and he'll quickly work out that Teddy is another dog haha.

It's funny, because River, my doggy that recently passed was scared of Charlie when Charlie was a puppy, but that only lasted 48 hours. But I'm sure they will  become friends soon enough.

I had a much better nights sleep last night, Teddy didn't cry at all when I put him to bed and only woke me twice in the night.
His toilet training is going amazingly well, 3 times today when I've asked him if he needs the toilet he runs to the back door. He'll still do it in the house if I'm not watching, but he's learnt that when he does it outside he gets a treat.

Trying to train him to not chew everything isn't going so well, but I'll get there.
In my room he now sits in my second gaming chair and goes to sleep, so I'm able to get some gaming in lol.

Consistency is key, sounds like Teddy is well on the way to learning what he needs to learn. He's also so damn cute :)

Took my puppy for his first walk today, it's freezing and raining hard. I was cold, he was cold, but we got the job done :joy:

Couldn't take Charlie though because of the rain. He gets filthy when it's wet because of the type of coat shih tzus have, it's super absorbent and flick the mud everywhere. Won't be able to tomorrow either as Charlie has to go the vets to have a tooth removed.

@Hughesy

Thank you for telling us this. Was the puppy alright on his first walkies? Did he like the rain?

The rain dreadful today. I was as soggy as a doggy, when I walked from work to the bus stop, earlier this afternoon! :smiley:

McStanley

Aww so exciting the first walkies outside :) Did Teddy enjoy himself? My dog still loves her walks just about breaks the door down when I get the leash.

He didn't like the rain and wind, so it was a bit of a struggle. His second walk later that day was much better as the weather calmed down. We bumped into someone walking a adult pug who he loved. Today the weather is dreadful again so I haven't taken him out, plus I had go take Charlie to the vets as he has to have a tooth removed. Once I can take them both out together it'll be a lot better.

I am surprised the puppy did not like the rain and wind. It's his first encounter with it. He doesn't know what it is.

McStanley

So a few weeks ago I signed a new contract with my university, as of yesterday my position was made redundant in an academic restructure (means I get a severance package worth $25,000 if I don't get a new position) and I have to apply for a new position (which is exactly the same). The worst kind of bureaucracy at work. The anxiety levels I'm feeling right now are very high, the head of my department has been telling me not to worry about it as the union has told us all that no jobs will be lost. Its allegedly just an ill advised restructure that requires all current positions to be terminated then re-hired under new guidelines, total rubbish. I don't really care about the job per se, teaching for me was simply a necessary evil of wanting to be attached to a university with access to labs, sites and resources which are critical to my research interests. Though recently I have come to like teaching and I have put a lot of work into getting better at it. SUCKS!!!!

Sorry for venting to you all, my partner is away so I can't complain to her.

I'll be on the national BBC News at 6 tonight as part of a group discussing Brexit and the automotive industry. Do keep an eye out, regardless of whether you agree with me or not  B)

Sorry, I didn't watch it. I wouldn't have been able to have recognised you anyway. flsince08, as I don't who you are and what you look like! :D

McStanley

McStanley said:
Sorry, I didn't watch it. I wouldn't have been able to have recognised you anyway. flsince08, as I don't who you are and what you look like! :D

McStanley
It hasn't been on yet, it's only 5.35pm!

MBKF1 said:
McStanley said:

McStanley
It hasn't been on yet, it's only 5.35pm!
It was yesterday mate lol.