The Stuff Thread

Hughesy said:
Did you not read my original post which started this whole conversation? I literally covered what this is all about.
Sorry about the late reply.

Yes, I did read your originally post, but I didn't fully understand it the first time. I don't do social networking websites.

McStanley

We got noticed by Codies :smile: Anyways should we speculate what will the new forums be like? I just really hope it fixes these common issues with the current system, like when using a phone, you can't delete a quote and you may not be able to type outside of it. You have to go to drafts and delete the draft in order to have another try at doing quotes.
This is one of the only places on the forums where you can actually talk about something without getting completely shat on (aside from few things I have done which are mainly my fault).

Another question to older members, what was the old Codemasters' forums like? I have only seen the one we have had since... 2014 if I remember correctly?

UP100 said:
Another question to older members, what was the old Codemasters' forums like? I have only seen the one we have had since... 2014 if I remember correctly?
The old old forums were bloody brilliant. I've been a member since September 2010, and at that time they used vBulletin. It was just a good old fashioned, classic forum. Everything worked, no bugs. I know a lot of people who remember those forums have fond memories of it.

Then we moved to a new forum in 2012 (I think) which had a Kudos system. That wasn't brilliant, so we changed again in 2014 and we've been with this ever since. I quite like this forum tbh. I think the post reaction system is pretty nice. It's a good way of showing your appreciation for a post without actually having to post. Am interested to see what the new forum will look like.

We're getting a new forum? :open_mouth:                                   

Lukedfrt said:
We're getting a new forum? :open_mouth:                                   
At least some kind of update to it! http://blog.codemasters.com/community/01/forum-redesign/

Notable stuff:
• 1st February 2019 – the current version of the forum will become read-only so we don’t lose any user data or content in the transition
• 8th February 2019 – the new forum will begin a global roll out, which may take up to 24 hours in some regions of the world
• 9th February 2019 – the new forum will be available to use for all, using the same credentials that were used to log into the old forum

:'(                                                           

UP100 said:

We got noticed by Codies :smile: Anyways should we speculate what will the new forums be like? I just really hope it fixes these common issues with the current system, like when using a phone, you can't delete a quote and you may not be able to type outside of it. You have to go to drafts and delete the draft in order to have another try at doing quotes.
This is one of the only places on the forums where you can actually talk about something without getting completely **** on (aside from few things I have done which are mainly my fault).

Internet Wayback Machine helps, it’s where I snagged the screenshot you saw earlier :)

MBKF1 said:
UP100 said:
The old old forums were bloody brilliant. I've been a member since September 2010, and at that time they used vBulletin. It was just a good old fashioned, classic forum. Everything worked, no bugs. I know a lot of people who remember those forums have fond memories of it.

Then we moved to a new forum in 2012 (I think) which had a Kudos system. That wasn't brilliant, so we changed again in 2014 and we've been with this ever since. I quite like this forum tbh. I think the post reaction system is pretty nice. It's a good way of showing your appreciation for a post without actually having to post. Am interested to see what the new forum will look like.
Only the OG's remember Ham1lton and Luekdfrt 

I need that name back haha, i can gather everyone around the campfire and tell the story then!

MBKF1 said:
UP100 said:

Only the OG's remember Ham1lton and Luekdfrt 
And WinsetAuto...

I like this format the Codemasters Forum is in. It looks modern enough for me and I have never seen any past formats of it. I suppose the wish for the forum to stay as it is out of our hands, so I guess we will have to go along with the change, whether we like it or not.

McStanley

A few of you here know about this, but I thought I'd post it here, you may have also spotted the thing I made in Minecraft on the previous page. Last Monday at 2:30am my mum past away due to a lung condition. She died within a month of my nan dying (her mum) both pictured here way before I was born. I had to give my mum CPR until the paramedics got arrived and it now haunts me every time I sleep. Her heart and breathing restarted a few times during the hour they worked on her, but it was in vein.

All I can say is don't take your family for granted, as one day it will be the last time you spend with them. My mum was only 61, a year ago she was healthy and then she developed this lung condition which got bad at a crazy fast rate.

Sorry mate, and that's such a horrible experience as well. 61 is no age at all, in fact that somewhat scares me as my Dad is older than that. My Grandad has been in hospital recently and whilst we did sometimes whinge and twist about going back and forth to see him, things like this put you back into reality.

Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry to read this, Hughesy. Giving CPR to your own mother must be a very distressing thing to do. I feel very sorry for you. I hope you recover from your ordeal soon.

McStanley

I can't imagine what you're going through mate, it's scary how things can change so fast  :( my thoughts are with you and your family. 

My condolences mate :(

My parents are pretty old now and this is something I know that I will soon face too :(

Ah man, I'm really sorry to hear that. Sending my condolences to you.

Thanks guys, a week on and it still doesn’t seem real. The worst thing is back in 2013 my mum got lasting power of attorney for my dad, I also signed it so that if something happened to my mum I’d take over. Thing is when I did that my mum was healthy and my dad looked like he go long before my mum so I never thought I’d have to take over. He has no bank account as he couldn’t be trusted with money, so all his money and all their bills came out of my mums account. So now I’m moving back in with my dad and going through each bill changed to my name. She had life insurance which I’ll use part of to pay off the rest of their mortgage.

She had no will or funeral plan, as she was so busy looking after everyone but herself. Man funerals are expensive, we are paying 4 grand and that’s just for a cremation, to be buried would be a lot more. But as my Nan was cremated, my mums ashes will be next to hers. I can see myself going there every day, as I drive past it each morning and evening.

I don’t think it matters what age your parents die, it’ll always be too soon, especially if you are as close to them as I was with my mum. Thing is I knew she was going to die early, because her lung condition was getting bad so fast, she’d only have to get up and go to the toilet and she’d look like she’d ran a marathon. I even said to my brother 2 weeks ago I thought she was going to die early, but even I didn’t think this soon, I thought like 5 or 10 years.

Its not just us that are gutted, my mums dog jasmine is heart broken, she was sat next to her as I was giving my mum CPR. Also normally when people come into the house she gets all protective around my mum and barks at everyone, including me. She has been so quiet and just looks sad.

I now have to look after my mum's dog as she's my last connection to her. Here's a photo of her as a pup with my old dog River who as you know also passed away, and her as a adult.

It's hard to except the loss of somebody when it's so sudden and not really expected. I feel for you and the dog that belonged to your mum. Dog's are amazing. They know when somebody is ill. The dog would have known instantly that something isn't right with your mum and I am sure the dog is as upset as you about what's happened.

My thoughts are with you and your family, Hughesy.

McStanley

Had the vicar come here today to go through the funeral. His name is Mr Simpson, and all through the conversation my brain was going don’t call him Homer, don’t call him Homer....
We are basically having the same service as my Nan, as my mum arranged the  hymns and we don’t know any, so she must have liked them. He was telling us that he’s already had 8 funerals to do this January, one of which was a 22 year old man.

I’m not religious at all, but my mum was so we had to do it properly.

I think I would be tempted to call somebody Homer, who has the surname of Simpson too! :D

The 22 year old man who has also passed away is the same age as myself, then.

I wish you all the best for the funeral organisation and the funeral itself. Granted, funerals are not very pleasant, especially after losing a loved one, but I hope it goes as well as it can go, for you.

McStanley

Thanks mate. Even a week on I'm eating myself up with a lot of questions and should have. Should have forced her to go hospital on the Sunday, but her being the stubborn former nurse she was said no she'd go to the doctors Monday. After she refused to go to hospital, I should have tested her oxygen levels and then could have forced her or called a ambulance. Should have stayed up an hour longer than I did, as then I would have seen her acting strange when hypoxia started due to lack of oxygen. Should have noticed she wasn't breathing when i first came down when i heard her fall, i thought  she was just unconscious for the first minute or so and was trying to wake her up.  Question if I did the CPR correctly as I was half asleep.

I shouldn't be thinking like this, as it'll just eat me up inside, but can't help it. Another thing I haven't talked about on here except to one person, is I've only recently got over a pretty serious episode of depression which included self harming. I haven't felt depressed since she died, I've been too busy to feel much of anything. But I'm pretty sure once the funeral is over I'm going to have to see a doctor and asked for help.

Got to stay mentally strong, because I now have 3 dogs and my dad to look after. Already moved all my stuff into my parents house. Feels weird to be back in my bedroom I spent my whole life growing up in (parents never moved since I was born)

No, shouldn't thinking like that Hughesy. Your mother's passing is not your fault. It's nobody's fault. The fact you attempted CPR in the middle of the night needs an award itself. I am unsure if I would be able to perform CPR. I would be worried about hurting the person, especially if it somebody I know who I were to do it to.

If these words are any comfort to you, which I hope they are, but a few months ago on BBC One, I watched an episode of Ambulance and a paramedic actually said that very few patients who have received CPR, actually survive and live on past a cardiac arrest. Yes, that's not a good statistic, but I mentioned it in hope that you don't beat yourself up that you may not have performed CPR properly.

McStanley

Last day to talk in here before the forums go read only. Panic.