The Stuff Thread

Car insurance is so messed up. Last year it cost me just under £2000 to insure my Renault Clio with a 1.2 litre engine.. This year i can get my Volkswagen Fox with a 1.4 litre engine, insured for around £1,100! Despite the fact that my clio was written off, so i claimed and lost my no claims bonus.

I mean i'm pleased it's so much cheaper this year, but how on earth do they work this nonsense out!! 🤷‍♂️

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Lukedfrt said:

Car insurance is so messed up. Last year it cost me just under £2000 to insure my Renault Clio with a 1.2 litre engine.. This year i can get my Volkswagen Fox with a 1.4 litre engine, insured for around £1,100! Despite the fact that my clio was written off, so i claimed and lost my no claims bonus.

I mean i'm pleased it's so much cheaper this year, but how on earth do they work this nonsense out!! 🤷‍♂️

Is the Fox newer? That can have a big say on it. Could also be that the Fox is viewed as less racery than a Clio.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Lukedfrt

I take it that you live in the UK? Car insurance is messed up in the UK. Most likely the Fox is newer than the Clio and this is the case, it will be safer and stronger in a crash, in which case means lower on insurance. 

Also age is a biggest factor with insurance. You would have been younger when you insuranced the Clio too, so you are getting older so this also reduces your insurance premium, providing you don’t make any claims.

Insurance is very unpredictable in the UK, in terms of prices, which I believe can change daily, which somebody told me. I am unsure if this is true or not.

DiRTFanNo.1

Edited by DiRTFanNo.1
Additional information added.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, f1since08 said:

Is the Fox newer? That can have a big say on it. Could also be that the Fox is viewed as less racery than a Clio.

Fox is 07 and the Clio was 08, so fairly similar ages. But yeah i assume that is a factor, the Clio is considered a boy racer car generally! But i don't know how it's so much less 🤣 

That Clio was cursed anyway, loads to insure, cost me £200 to repair some faulty electronics and then after a grand total of 3 months with me.. Got crashed into outside my house haha!

• Like 1

How bad was the damage to the Clio after the crash? Any pictures?

DiRTFanNo.1

Edited by DiRTFanNo.1
DiRTFanNo.1 signature added.

I did have the pictures, but not anymore.. It wasn't too bad damage tbh, but the value of the car didn't cover it apparently 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Even the smallest amounts of damage to cars write them off. It's cheaper and easier for insurance companies to write them off. Most cars do get put back on the road, but by salvage companies, who buy them from insurance companies.

My parents car was written off in December. The car did need a new front bumper and nearside front wheel arch, but the insurance company was only looking for brand new parts, so these came in at more than the car is worth. I found suitable parts that just need a respray on eBay, but insurance companies don't look for parts like this. They should, as the parts I found didn't come close to half the price of brand new parts will cost!

They you go, that's this country's (UK) messed up insurance system for you. I also suspect that insurance companies prefer to write cars off, with small or large amounts of damage, in hope that the vehicle will be scrapped to take another car off of the roads.

DiRTFanNo.1

• Like 1

To put in context how easily they write off cars, just air bags going off means they scrap it, as my mum found out when she crashed her year old VW Golf. When I went and looked at the car I was like are you kidding me, I've seen worse cars driving about with MOT's.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Yep, airbags deployed, vehicle is scrapped, regardless how bad exterior damage is.

Is that the Golf GT she crashed?

DiRTFanNo.1

15 hours ago, DiRTFanNo.1 said:

Yep, airbags deployed, vehicle is scrapped, regardless how bad exterior damage is.

Is that the Golf GT she crashed?

DiRTFanNo.1

Yes it was.

• Like 1

Received my first ever parking ticket this morning :classic_blink:.. 85 pound for spending 2 hours at a pub!! Absolute joke, so i've appealed it and fingers crossed they back down.

• Like 1

@Lukedfrt, oh dear. I feel sorry for you. I have never had an parking ticket before. I hope to keep it that way!

DiRTFanNo.1

Edited by DiRTFanNo.1

7 hours ago, Lukedfrt said:

Received my first ever parking ticket this morning :classic_blink:.. 85 pound for spending 2 hours at a pub!! Absolute joke, so i've appealed it and fingers crossed they back down.

You won't win the appeal, but good luck anyway 😂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I agree, car park agencies / councils, who ever has fined you will pursue the case and get you to pay, Lukedfrt. You have to give a very good reason for why you overstayed your allowed time. I don't think being at the pub will let you off, but I suppose it's worth a try. All these people do is want your money. You may find though that the sooner you pay, you might pay less than £85.00, so keep this in mind.

A friend of mine once got a ticket. It was £60.00. He paid for the next day and they reduced to £30.00, so keep this in mind. The people who have provided you with the fine may have a similar policy up their sleeve.

DiRTFanNo.1

• Like 1

Hehe in my experience the UK is the place one is most likely to get pinged for parking. The town I lived in for 3 years is a university town and I mustve paid between 30-40 tickets I reckon. I'd park in a 30min space with the idea of hopping in quickly to see my professor and bam couple of hours later and I owe like 200 pounds LOLs USA on the other hand never got pinged there, Los Angeles, Vegas and Boston I prolly illegally parked dozens of times and never got one. Here I pay for a reserved space so it never happens at the university, my partner did get a $250 one a few years ago for parking in a driveway (was a friends house). 

• Agree 1

I live in the UK, @KittyFit90 and you see traffic wardens patrolling all sorts of roads, near town centres and near retail parks. I haven’t been to many countries, but I do agree with you completely.

DiRTFanNo.1

The flat that I rent with my missus, we have a private off road gated parking area and we have a permit we have to display. I don't have it stuck to the windscreen, instead I put it on my dash each time I park up. Reason being is when I have friends over, I can park on the road for free and they can use my permit, they can't park on the road for free.

I had been there over a year and one evening, I forgot to put my permit out. Bam, got a ticket the next day. I called up telling them I had been parking there for over a year and I forgot to put it out once and they were like, "its not our problem". I asked if I could just register my car with them and they said no which is pretty BS. From what I've read about private companies, some people don't pay and eventually it can get dropped as its cheaper for them to do that then make you pay and take you to small claims court. I didn't want to risk it though but its BS.

This was the second time, the first time we had only lived there under a week and we were buying stuff for our flat. We went in for half an hour to have lunch, during that half hour I got a ticket. Sucks but at least I get off road parking.

• Like 2

I’m just glad I don’t live in a road that requires a permit. I would hate to do have to a permit on the dashboard and / on the windscreen, every time I park my car. I feel sorry for you @SirPhilMcKraken.

DiRTFanNo.1

4 minutes ago, DiRTFanNo.1 said:

I’m just glad I don’t live in a road that requires a permit. I would hate to do have to a permit on the dashboard and / on the windscreen, every time I park my car. I feel sorry for you @SirPhilMcKraken.

DiRTFanNo.1

Honestly its now second nature. I did forget one day last week but it was so cold and frosty and I doubt a guy comes around in the middle of the night to check.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirPhilMcKraken said:

The flat that I rent with my missus, we have a private off road gated parking area and we have a permit we have to display. I don't have it stuck to the windscreen, instead I put it on my dash each time I park up. Reason being is when I have friends over, I can park on the road for free and they can use my permit, they can't park on the road for free.

I had been there over a year and one evening, I forgot to put my permit out. Bam, got a ticket the next day. I called up telling them I had been parking there for over a year and I forgot to put it out once and they were like, "its not our problem". I asked if I could just register my car with them and they said no which is pretty BS. From what I've read about private companies, some people don't pay and eventually it can get dropped as its cheaper for them to do that then make you pay and take you to small claims court. I didn't want to risk it though but its BS.

This was the second time, the first time we had only lived there under a week and we were buying stuff for our flat. We went in for half an hour to have lunch, during that half hour I got a ticket. Sucks but at least I get off road parking.

That's so unlucky! And yeah, apparently over 50% of fines get dropped when you appeal as the company normally won't take it to court. Although i wasn't looking for any parking notices (As the majority of pubs have free car parks) I genuinely didn't see a sign in the car park, and it was dark with poor lighting.. so i may go back and take some pictures if i lose the appeal! 

• Like 2

If the signs are not well lit in the dark or are not well placed, so they are not very noticeable, then you could put this to the agency and see what they say. Some places that are monitored by traffic wardens don’t have many signs and some you can’t see on the dark, unless you are near them. They may let you off or reduce the five, if this is the case.

DiRTFanNo.1

• Like 1

It's been a bit of an odd day today (28/02/2019), for myself, as while travelling on x2 different Stagecoach (A very well-known national bus operator in the UK) buses, these two events happened today (Warning: Some may find this a bit distressing to read).

Incident 1:

At around lunchtime, I went on the 41 service, on Alexander Dennis Enviro 300, YN64 AOS in Service 41 livery and there was a drunk man on a bike. He was on the kerb and just as the bus I was on went past him, he fell of the bike and half of his body fell in the road. The bus I was on was about a centimetre away, probably less from hitting him. It was so close. The bus driver slammed his breaks on, stopped, turned the Scania 9.0 litre engine off and leaped from the cab to go to his aid; So did some other car drivers. As the bus driver didn't hit the drunk cyclist, after 5 minutes of dealing with this accident, the bus driver had to leave, as his bus was already late, so even later from stopping.

Incident 2:
Also, about an hour after that, I was on the D service, on Alexander Dennis Enviro 200, SN64 OLW in Service D livery, a student fainted on the floor of the bus, while the bus was in motion. He was one of the many passengers standing up, as all of the seats were taken.

Two in one day! Very rare for one, never mind two!

DiRTFanNo.1
Edited by DiRTFanNo.1
Additional information added.

The level of detail of your descriptions of buses is quite incredible.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4