The Stuff Thread

I own a scarlet red Ferrari 458 convertible 🙂 The most beautiful car ever produced in my opinion, I fell in love with her one day when I took my old Alfa Beria in for a service (alfa and ferrari share a service center here), it took a fair chunk of my finances to buy her and my father was very angry with me for a while after. She sits in a locked garage 99% of the time, I take her to track days at Talem Bend circuit from time to time and scare the **** out of myself. On public roads I only open the throttle on straight sections as I don't want to scratch her. I once got caught by the police doing 184kmph in a 100kmph zone but I guess they weren't expecting a tiny young girl behind the wheel and they sorta let me off :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

Sorry, I did not know you own a Ferrari 458 Italia. My goodness. That's a good supercar. I would love to own one. Enjoy her and look after her. What's her name?

ColinMcRae:DiRTFanNo.1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ColinMcRae:DiRTFanNo.1 said:

Sorry, I did not know you own a Ferrari 458 Italia. My goodness. That's a good supercar. I would love to own one. Enjoy her and look after her. What's her name?

Persephone - for she is both beautiful and scary...thats actually her numberplate

And fyi I don't like going around telling people that I'm wealthy, I inherited a large amount of money (a lot of which I wasted on cars and a shot at a racing driving career...as a teenager) but I work hard at  my job and I worked hard at school to be where I am...besides when we get asked (me and my wife) we always say that she earns more, which she does salary wise (RAAF pilot) I just have investments etc. 

Edited by KittyFit90
  • Like 1

Your Ferrari 458 Italia has a personalised registration then?

I do not think you are wealthy at all. To own a Ferrari, you have to be wealthy to some degree, as they are expensive cars. I was not really think that you are wealthy anyway, when I read your post yesterday (Saturday 21/03/2020), when you told me you own a Ferrari 458 Italia.

yep personalized plates, they are green and read "Persephone88"....88 being the number I used to race under

Today I'm doing a 5km beach walk and going for a swim, its very cold for late March (low 20s) here atm but its still nice. The water is cold here no matter what time of year as there is nothing between us and Antarctica. I am already thinking of extending my visit as my wife has a week where she goes 'inactive' in early April and she'd love to come and join me here. 

• Like 1

Yeah my pup enjoyed the walk and my fat lady swimming was a bit of a comedy :classic_biggrin:

I have dropped a few kilos tho, I'm down to 63, started at 66. Only 13 more to go by November, my wife says that once I get fit enough that I can actually run without having a heart-attack that I get to join her fitness routines. OMFG no f'ing way...that woman is a freak!!!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I am literally about to teach a seminar on a sun chair on the beach! 9am seminar with 9 students via skype, modern technology is so amazing sometimes. Pity is so damm cold, I'm freezing and wearing a blanket!

Edited by KittyFit90
  • Like 2

Yeah they are second year students in my 'The Paleontology of Australasian Megafauna' class that I teach, there about 90 total, though luckily I dont do all the seminars myself (2 teaching assistants phd students I am supervising). I love my job, the teaching side is a drag but mostly its easy but I love the postgrad supervising and the research opportunists, best of all is the field work...tho thats suspended because of COVID 19. Which is why I'm at a beach house instead of the lecture hall so its not all bad LOL. Being a university lecturer is a cushy job, mark my words!

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 6:50 AM, KittyFit90 said:

Persephone - for she is both beautiful and scary...thats actually her numberplate

Sorry, but I had way too much fun when I saw that. Perse means ass in finnish. :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Breaking my diet tonight, fish and chips on the beach, lovely day today...was actually warm for most of it. 3 days in and I'm so relaxed I dunno if I want to go home LOL. 

What I can't figure out is why I'd never come here before, my parents bought this house like 5 years ago now and they use it a lot, I was just never interested for some reason....seemed a bit too much of an old people thing I spose. Before Covid19 I guess I though a relaxing trip meant going overseas and doing something cool. 

Edited by KittyFit90
  • Like 1

We have real beaches here too, I found very few in the UK that I'd even call a beach! The one here is about 80m wide from dunes to the sea, beautiful white sand that gets all warm in the sun. The house is set just behind the dunes with its own little path through to the sand....

• Like 1

Day 1 of working from home/partial lockdown and I'm going mad already. Don't think the family will survive the week. 

Seriously though, stay safe everyone ❤

• Agree 1

Haha my aussie lockdown is wonderful, right now I'm eating a sandwich on the deck looking out at the sea. Its warm and sunny and I'm about to have an afternoon beach stroll. I have a class by skype at 4pm then I'll have my evening meal outside I reckon, before a night of netflix. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@KittyFit90, so you are not paying any attention to your lockdown then?! Stay in doors, means stay in doors. It's as simple as that.

Mind you, I am getting super bored of staying at home. I am starting to feel sick of staying at home now and the first week is not over yet! We in the UK, have at least three weeks of this, if not more! 😢 😭

The nice sunny weather we have had this week does not help, 'the wanting to go out' factor. It's been the nicest week (Weather wise), we have had in 2020., but it can't be enjoyed! It's stupid and annoying. it might as well rain and it would feel so bad then, staying in doors.

2019 ended up being a rubbish year for me (You may know why) and 2020 is turning out to be no better. Roll on 2021! 😳

Edited by ColinMcRae:DiRTFanNo.1
'2019 ended up being a rubbish year for me (You may know why) and 2020 is turning out to be no better. Roll on 2021! 😳' added.

Haha mate our lockdown is different, we are supposed to 'not go to the shops, eat out, attend social gatherings or meet more then 1-2 people at a time' on the other hand we have been encouraged 'to exercise as much as possible and enjoy the good weather'. I guess its because of the differences in living conditions here, 95% of aussies live in detached houses (not terraces, let alone apartment blocks or housing estates, those are so rare) with yards back and front so were not on top of each other or even that close (Adelaide has 1.2million people but sprawls larger than London does). Pretty much all I'm doing to conform to that is to stand 1.5 meters from people when I see them, otherwise me being me I'm just going about life normally (I avoid people). I went for a walk down the beach this morning and saw exactly 2 people doing some crab fishing, didn't get within 20metres of either bloke, see the difference? My wife says that back in the city everyone is out and about doing walking/jogging around but not chatting and standing far away from people to talk. Here there are like 100 people within 40km so theres a lot of space to avoid being near anyone but still get out and about. I'm visiting the nearby national park today theres supposedly a heritage (gypsum mining 1880s) trail that takes about 2 hours which I think I will do with my dog, fully expect not to see another soul the whole time 🙂

Hope that clears it up a little, I'm not breaking any rules set in place here, in fact I'm following them to the letter.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We have been told to go out as little as possible, in the UK. We can gout for the following:

• Visit to the supermarkets / convivence shops to buy food, but should do this as little as possible.
  • Visit to the pharmacy to buy medicines / collect prescriptions, but should do this as little as possible.
  • One form of exercise a day; Walking, running or cycling only.
  • No meeting people anyway where and should be in gatherings of 1-2 people only, from your household.
  • Walking a dog must be starting from your home and must not get in a car to drive to another location to walk the dog.
  • Non-essential shops, such as hobby shops, clothes shops, restaurants to close. There's very few take-aways still open where I live.
  • Public transport mainly for key workers and everyone else should not use it, unless they really have to.

In the UK, we have quite a few restrictions, for a partial lockdown. I have seen a lot of cars driving around when I have been for my walk a day, so it seems that they few are obeying the lockdown. Perhaps a full lockdown will come before the three weeks end, or after the three weeks end. I hope that does not happen, but I have gut feeling it will.

Edited by ColinMcRae:DiRTFanNo.1
Typo edit.

Very similar bar the part about exercising..and while we can't eat in our restaurants either they are all open and doing a lot of takeaway. My house for example has its back 'fence' (there is no back fence) onto a conservation park so it would be really weird to restrict me access to using it.

My wife is having to work still (just about everyone else is home), though shes going to come and join me in about 10 days time as she will go 'inactive' for a week then back to active for a week then active standby then repeat the cycle. Sucks for planning any long holidays together but at least I get to see her occasionally. University is shut down until further notice so I've probably got all semester off (paid leave) thats until about mid June. Atm I see no reason not to stay right where I am for the next 3-4 months, its so nice here...though if I did somehow get Covid19 I'd have to be airlifted to the hospital hmm... 

• Like 1

I forgot to add that they strongly recommend we work from home, but one can go out to work if necessary. I think I should add that in, to my previous post.

@KittyFit90, why do you want to be flown in an air ambulance helicopter to a hospital? I reckon of you did get the Coronavirus, I expect you would wish you did not say that.

Hah its a 5 hour drive to get there, they'd send the helicopter over the sea take like 10 minutes. I don't want to do that I was just saying thats what would happen if I did get sick. Theres only 1 hospital in the state that is taking Covid19 patients, remember south aussie is twice the size of France so if anyone gets sick away from the city air ambulance would be the only way!. 

• Like 1