F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

The Stuff Thread

On 4/15/2020 at 8:10 AM, ColinMcRae:DiRTFanNo.1 said:

@KittyFit90, I think that a bucket of water above a closed door is the perfect trick, so when the door is opened, she gets splashed! 🤣 😂 😅 😄 😃 😀 😉 😊 ☺️ 🙂

ColinMcRae:DIRTFanNo.1

Hah lol won't work

a: I cant reach the top of the door and we have no ladder here and b: I'm kinda enjoying her paying me out, its complimentary in a way....if you knew me personally you'd know how strange it is to consider that I teach at a university with my personality traits...ie bubbly, girlish, overly cheerful, squeaky and quiet little voice, lacking in self confidence and I'm way way shy. SO yeah

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@KittyFit90 sorry, I did not realise that. I just assumed everyone is taller than myself, as generally most people are! I am short for my age and without a step ladder, I would not reach the top any door either.

CoinMcRae:DiRTFanNo.1

Edited by ColinMcRae:DiRTFanNo.1
Additional information added.

I'm 5ft...just. My wife calls me midget quite a bit but then shes a giant so bleh

• Like 1

Ok so shes fascinated by my teaching. Apparently she finds it hard to believe that the really weird autistic girl she met 16 years ago (crikey its really been that long!) has come so far as to be teaching university students and doing it 'so well'. I guess I have come a long long way....

Shes still the same arrogant, gigantically tall and stunning blonde that she was 16 years ago too...though the RAAF have softened her rough edges out a lot, she used to swear a lot for one...LOL

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ColinMcRae:DiRTFanNo.1 said:

@KittyFit90, what do you teach again? I think you mentioned previously in the past, but I have forgotten! 🙄

ColinMcRae:DiRTFanNo.1

Haha thats ok,

I work in the Paleontology Department, I teach evolutionary theory and vertebrate paleontology post K-Pg (thats the scientific term for the dinosaur killing asteroid), I also dabble in pre vertebrate evolution from the pre-Cambrian eon (thats 650+ million years ago)!!!

• Like 2

Well my wife has gone home, she has to report for duty at 5am tomorrow morning. She has 2 weeks active duty then I'll see her again, busy life of a squadron 3ic...though rumor has it the 2ic is getting his own command so she'll move up a notch hopefully...she really wants to have a command of her own someday, she has all the ambition in our relationship lol.  I'm staying put but maybe not for long. Our national new cases has fallen below 10 today and our PM has suggested we might be within 4 weeks of ending our lockdown...in which case I'll have to go back to work with all the stresses involved with real teaching. I much prefer teaching by skype!

• Like 1

@KittyFit90, out of interest, how many weeks have you been on holiday for?

In regards to the UK's lockdown, deaths are still daily, sadly. It does not appear to have taken much affect yet. I think the UK still has many more months to come, in lockdown. Next UK review is 07/05/2020, but I can't see the lockdown even lifting slightly myself, from this day onwards.

5 weeks on holidays/working from home 🙂

Australia has so many advantages to dealing with this, the fact that 95% of us live in detached homes so isolating really works, our cities are thousands of kms apart, our climate even in April is dry and most importantly we have a superb health system. 

• Like 1

Yeah my house has 4metres and 5 metres on each side to the neighbours and I have no house at the back just a conservation park so plenty of space. Adelaide takes up the same space as London does with just 1.2 million people! Were spread out here not on top of each other. 🙂

• Like 1

@KittyFit90, looking at map, Australia's land area is much larger than the UK's. However, if Australia was not a spread out as it is, you get a lot more homes, in people have space to live. I am sure have you already worked that out. A lot more space between the next house must be cool to have though. Things would be a lot more private and from your front garden and from your back garden, you would have a much better view.

Haha not so private, I have no fences on each side, just bushes etc to make a boundary. My State South Australia is nearly twice the size of France with 1.4 million people so no need to be tight together haha. 

Gosh teaching is so much easier without someone watching and snickering at me the whole time, I don't want to go back to work and normal teaching:classic_angry: Though it looks like my university may open as normal for second semester in late July, our lockdown though may end mid May...thats the rumor going around. 

• Like 1

F sake, I fell asleep in my sun chair again, 3 hours and now I'm cranky as hell. F this I'm having fish and chips for dinner! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I got this reply to my requested birthday gift (wife has been 'away'...ie she flew somewhere and I'm not allowed to know where) she said "Lol you nerd👍" which is a yes 🙂 I"m 30 this year eek :classic_angry:

Does that mean I have to act my age now and can't get away with being so girlish anymore? :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 2

F-sake...my sojourn here is nearly over:classic_angry:

In 2 weeks were supposed to be reopening face to face contact with postgrad students...which means I have to go back to work:classic_angry: Not happy! Instead of falling asleep in the sun between classes I will have to go back to lab work...which isn't bad per se, as I love the lab...actually its not so bad as I won't be doing any teaching till July. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

Well I'm home, didn't see any point to staying another week by myself. My wife is working so I won't see her much this week but at least we'll get evenings together. :classic_mellow: I'm going to the lab tomorrow, gotta work out what I'm going to do for the next 2 months...I'm about 2/3rds way through all the fossil fragments found last year on my rescue dig, I guess I'll get them finished then my boss and I can finish our report for the state government, though its not due till mid next year. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, ColinMcRae:DiRTFanNo.1 said:

@KittyFit90, well I must say that it was a very long holiday you had. I have never had a holiday that has lasted longer than two weeks!

Working holiday, I worked about 4-5 hours a day...mostly while laying in the sun typing on a laptop lol. I probably did more actual 'work' away then I do on campus just quietly, less distractions at the beach house. Theres a running joke in the department about me "wheres kitty?' is the question often asked as my office is always empty...answer is "in the lab!' even when I'm not supposed to be HAHA

Edited by KittyFit90
  • Like 1