Jump to content

The Stuff Thread

Recommended Posts

Its easy to do a field school topic design when you can copy/paste the entirety of a previous design and just tweak it! Will be done by Friday designing my topic, which will give me a week off before Semester 2:classic_biggrin:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone should do a study of how differently some people behave online as opposed to rl. Going outside the off topic forum is sometimes a bit ropey:classic_laugh: Seriously tho, some of those posters beggar belief. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

Someone should do a study of how differently some people behave online as opposed to rl. Going outside the off topic forum is sometimes a bit ropey:classic_laugh: Seriously tho, some of those posters beggar belief. 

You picked the best time to wander into the F1 forums, everyone was suddenly ****** for some reason 😁

E: I didn't call anyone anything, it was an adjective to how frustrated and angry people were...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My topic design has landed in my boss's email inbox, hopefully no major rework required:classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh oh, sometimes I am so dumb! Got this text from my boss just now (Sunday night) "just a reminder Kitty, Semester 2 starts tomorrow...in case you forgot!" well I had gotten the dates totally mixed up... I thought I had another week break but I don't 😞 I gotta work tomorrow😥 My brain is not so normal...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, KittyFit90 said:

Uh oh, sometimes I am so dumb! Got this text from my boss just now (Sunday night) "just a reminder Kitty, Semester 2 starts tomorrow...in case you forgot!" well I had gotten the dates totally mixed up... I thought I had another week break but I don't 😞 I gotta work tomorrow😥 My brain is not so normal...

Well it's better than missing the first day of the semester 😛 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Well it's better than missing the first day of the semester 😛 

My boss knows me so well now haha:classic_biggrin: My autism makes me forget things I don't find important, like turning up for first day of teaching or remembering what time my classes are haha!!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mis programmed my reminders for today, I missed a seminar:classic_blush: I'm very embarrassed, I thought my system had gotten me on top of this issue of mine. My boss is a very kind man all he said was 'lucky it was week 1 and not very important, I'm sure you'll sort this for week 2?". I have re done all my reminders and double/triple checked them and I've apologized to the 8 students whose time I wasted. So embarrassed:classic_blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

I mis programmed my reminders for today, I missed a seminar:classic_blush: I'm very embarrassed, I thought my system had gotten me on top of this issue of mine. My boss is a very kind man all he said was 'lucky it was week 1 and not very important, I'm sure you'll sort this for week 2?". I have re done all my reminders and double/triple checked them and I've apologized to the 8 students whose time I wasted. So embarrassed:classic_blush:

Jinxed it 😛 

I'm always just happy to get more free time, though I'm not the best student in the world, hahah

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UP100 said:

Jinxed it 😛 

I'm always just happy to get more free time, though I'm not the best student in the world, hahah

Are you one of those students who come to seminars and obviously haven't done the weekly readings? I hate those....:classic_tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2020 at 1:04 PM, KittyFit90 said:

Are you one of those students who come to seminars and obviously haven't done the weekly readings? I hate those....:classic_tongue:

Well I'm at least the one that will just fall asleep in class despite trying my hardest to stay awake 😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being married to a RAAF officer sometimes can be a pain, missus has just told me tonight of a 2 week long deployment overseas which begins tomorrow:classic_mellow: She was unable to tell me about it until now for 'security reasons', as usual I don't know where shes going:classic_angry: Getting up at 4am tomorrow morning to see her off...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 2 of a spell of migraines, woke up Sunday morning with one and lasted all of 2 hours at work today before being floored by a whopper. No idea what triggers my little episodes but I expect this to follow my usual form and last 4-5 days, today's was one my worst ones ever:classic_sad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't even make it out of bed today, woke up with a throbbing head:classic_sad: My boss told me not to come to work till Friday and only then if I feel totally fine. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I went to my GP to get some tablets to help with my migraines and....well I'm in hospital and have just finished a series of MRI scans of my head...waiting for results now. I gotta confess that I'm a little scared so I rang my mum and dad who are here waiting with me. My partners CO said that she can't be recalled but he will contact her and keep her up to date. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

So I went to my GP to get some tablets to help with my migraines and....well I'm in hospital and have just finished a series of MRI scans of my head...waiting for results now. I gotta confess that I'm a little scared so I rang my mum and dad who are here waiting with me. My partners CO said that she can't be recalled but he will contact her and keep her up to date. 

Stay strong! I'm with you through the power of the internet 🙂 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the well wishes...

 

Phew its nothing, MRI was all clear and they ruled out a concussion or anything else. I was handed off to the psych team after that and they concluded based on my past history and ongoing issues that my bouts of migraines are caused by periods of 'severe stress and anxiety' which seems reasonable as it wouldn't be the first time I've had migraine issues just after a stressful time at work. I've been ordered to take 2 weeks leave minimum and I think I may need to reconsider my career as its obvious I can't cope with teaching. :classic_sad: 

 

I seemed ok when I was only doing 1 topic a semester and the odd bit of field work stuff, its not like I need to earn a living (thanks mum and dad!) so I think I should look after myself better and acknowledge that my autism and anxiety probably will prevent me from ever working a normal job. Time to go and talk to my boss and see what we can work out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a lunch/meeting with my boss tomorrow to go over the options for me and work. I really want to stay at the university as there's no chance I'd be functional as a consultant paleontologist, but the time has come to face the truth, that I am not cut out to do full time academic teaching either. Ideally I'd like to be part time, teaching one topic per semester, supervising a few postgrads and doing the odd field school or week long intensive course and I'd also like to to have one or two days off during the week so I can de-stress between classes. Fingers crossed!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok that couldn't have gone any better!

 

My boss came to the meet with a proposal for me, which was exactly what I was thinking too! I am going to work .25 of total loading which equates to 1 regular topic per semester, 1 field work class per year and 1 intensive course per year. This to be reassessed annually subject to what the department needs/ I need. For the remainder of this year I am going to teach my evolutionary theory topic and the field work class and in Feb next year I will do my annual lab work intensive course. 2 colleagues were more then happy to take over my other topic between them (everyone is still on reduced due to C19). I volunteered to go back to work on Monday but my boss wouldn't hear it, I have to take next week off and we will meet again next Friday to discuss me going back then. Apparently the Academic Staff union had queried my health issues with him and I may have to go on a Staff Health management plan if there's any further issues short term. 

 

Anyway was nice to hear things like 'The department would be very sorry to lose you' and 'your students have been asking about your health' and my fav 'we need the bubbly Kitty back, not the stressed and frazzled grouch we had last week':classic_biggrin:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SNOW!!! OMG snow is falling:classic_ohmy: Snow in my backyard...

 

Bit ho-hum for you guys right? Even the highest peaks in my state only get a tiny bit of snow every 4-5 years at best. My house is only at about 600m and its snowing!!! Amazing, this weather is coming up from Antarctica and its so cold...its below zero now (just). Haha back in Jan we got a new record for temp of 47.7 so thats why this is so weird!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KittyFit90 said:

SNOW!!! OMG snow is falling:classic_ohmy: Snow in my backyard...

Bit ho-hum for you guys right? Even the highest peaks in my state only get a tiny bit of snow every 4-5 years at best. My house is only at about 600m and its snowing!!! Amazing, this weather is coming up from Antarctica and its so cold...its below zero now (just). Haha back in Jan we got a new record for temp of 47.7 so thats why this is so weird!

Last winter we barely got any snow here in Helsinki. Like 1-4 days max or something 😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen snow 3 times at home, in 30 years and its only ever lasted a few minutes tops.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I have the worst migraine ever coming on now, I can feel it, this one is going to put me out for a few days!:classic_sad:

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×