The Stuff Thread

That was fun:classic_mellow: Only now am I feeling half decent, spent most of today sleeping in bed. Missed my meeting, boss rang me and said that he'll see me next Friday and wished me good health soon. Hope so because this is getting tiresome.:classic_sad:

May have gotten through this now, yesterday I had a tiny migraine but nothing much and today I'm migraine free so far! I feel so much better now and am hoping to be able to return to work next monday!:classic_smile:

• Like 1

Ooh pressies!:classic_biggrin:

Wifey got home today, she's been in Japan for the last 2 and a half weeks. Officially I'm still not supposed to know where she was but all the gifts are Japanese so its easy. I've got weird flavour lollies, a Kimono (lovely floral purple, white and cherry blossom pink, must've cost a fortune), some cans of Japanese cola with weird added flavours, a dog figurine with a sumo wrestler belly lol and a baseball cap from a US Air Force base near Tokyo (I've got a few of those from the USA, Sth Korea and the Mid East). Glad she's home, missed her a lot:classic_love:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KittyFit90 said:

Back to work today, wish me luck! Migraine free and ready to go!:classic_biggrin:

It's currently 1AM here and I'm being kept awake by incredibly heavy rain and thunder 😛

Good luck though!

• Haha 1

Made it through no issues. I'm way better just dealing with one topic, my autistic brain gets very focused (obsessed) and I find it very hard to switch from one thing to another. So now its just one topic, one set of students and I really do need an hour or so to relax between classes. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KittyFit90 said:

Haha without my random drivel this forum is way dead:classic_laugh:

Basically I just post my **** to my own wall as they're so off-topic that they'd break the forum rules 😅

There is some activity in other off-topic threads surprisingly...

Went to my parents house for a Father's Day lunch today, my old dad (he's 80) said to me 'My greatest achievement in life, is that I raised three wonderful daughters, who have all despite been born into a wealthy family, pushed themselves to be their very best (all 3 of us are science Phds, marine biology, botany and paleontology) and have made and will make meaningful contributions to their country and to the lives of those around them'. That Dad is why I love and admire you!:classic_love:

• Like 1

Good to see this place is still breathing somewhat! Only come on here very occasionally but I hope everyone is doing well in these covid times. 

Edited by MATT
  • Like 2

OMG been ages since I posted here! Where did the time go lol:classic_tongue:

I've been super busy/excited about some proposed excavation work that me and a colleague from the rival university are collaborating on. We're writing a scientific research proposal for the federal government to fully explore the rich Ediacaran period (600-650 mya) fossil bed in the Gammon Ranges here in South Aussie. It's a sea bed that has been exposed and weathered on the surface containing the richest and most intact collection of fossils from an eon of geological time that we know very little about...a time before oxygen, before plants as we know them...a time where the life was strange and basic and had only just reached multi celled status. In case you can't tell I'm super excited haha:classic_biggrin:

Oh and I'm away next week, teaching my field school, thats exciting too:classic_smile:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

OMG been ages since I posted here! Where did the time go lol:classic_tongue:

I've been super busy/excited about some proposed excavation work that me and a colleague from the rival university are collaborating on. We're writing a scientific research proposal for the federal government to fully explore the rich Ediacaran period (600-650 mya) fossil bed in the Gammon Ranges here in South Aussie. It's a sea bed that has been exposed and weathered on the surface containing the richest and most intact collection of fossils from an eon of geological time that we know very little about...a time before oxygen, before plants as we know them...a time where the life was strange and basic and had only just reached multi celled status. In case you can't tell I'm super excited haha:classic_biggrin:

Oh and I'm away next week, teaching my field school, thats exciting too:classic_smile:

Wow! That must be fascinating...please feel free to share anything interesting you see (if you're allowed to of course)!

12 hours ago, LuigiPeceguini said:

Wow! That must be fascinating...please feel free to share anything interesting you see (if you're allowed to of course)!

Will do, though the approval will take a long time to get, our submission will take months to write and then Canberra will take 6-12 months to approve it...the site is a scientific protected area with a blanket ban on any type of disturbance, the exact location itself is a secret (I know where it is though :wink). We have to prove that our research is important enough to justify the destruction of the site...paleontology is unfortunately destructive:classic_sad: My colleague and I hope to be excavating by mid 2022 and it could take up to a decade to complete, this project could add an immense amount to human understanding of the evolution of life on Earth!

Anyway I'm all packed and ready to head off to my field school this afternoon, 2 lecturers and 2 phd students to supervise to 8 students...they are going to get a very good educational experience. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Made it to the overnight stop in Pt Augusta, the uni won't let us drive a long enough distance in one stint (max 5 hours, Wudinna is 6 hours from Adelaide) to get to our final destination so I broke the trip in half. Enjoying some hot chips and a piece of crumbed fish 🙂

• Like 2

My field school has been a nightmare so far, had a disruptive student who we had to send home yesterday and today one of our hire cars wouldn't start so my colleague had to stay at the motel all day for an auto tech to drive 400km from Pt Augusta to fix it. Arrgh!:classic_sad:

• Sad 1

Sigh... some people seriously. The student I sent packing has made a formal complaint against me with the university. She denies being stoned (or worse) on Sunday when we left Adelaide, she denies making an aggressive proposition to a male student, she denies turning up drunk to site on Tuesday morning and she denies calling me and my colleague all sorts of vile things when we informed her that if she didn't get on the bus back to Adelaide that we would involve the police. I now have 30 days to submit a formal response to the vice chancellor...just what I need when I was starting to feel less stressed at work:classic_sad: I followed all the procedures we have for this sort of thing, my colleague will back me 100% and the male student has said he's prepared to give a full account as has everyone else here (Tuesday morning was ugly as) so it won't be a problem but **** me:classic_angry:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KittyFit90 said:

Sigh... some people seriously. The student I sent packing has made a formal complaint against me with the university. She denies being stoned (or worse) on Sunday when we left Adelaide, she denies making an aggressive proposition to a male student, she denies turning up drunk to site on Tuesday morning and she denies calling me and my colleague all sorts of vile things when we informed her that if she didn't get on the bus back to Adelaide that we would involve the police. I now have 30 days to submit a formal response to the vice chancellor...just what I need when I was starting to feel less stressed at work:classic_sad: I followed all the procedures we have for this sort of thing, my colleague will back me 100% and the male student has said he's prepared to give a full account as has everyone else here (Tuesday morning was ugly as) so it won't be a problem but **** me:classic_angry:

Now you get to have the experience of being a moderator 😛

Don't stress over it, judging from this description you will definitely be fine!

• Like 1

Students were offered both Saturday and Sunday as a break and back to work on Monday. All 7 of them requested access to the site today so I've spent the morning supervising and now my colleague has taken over, great to see them so keen! I'm doing some paperwork and eating a piece of cake from the local bakery, I'm drafting my formal response to the allegations made against me by that student, they are complete ****... she's claiming that I dislike her and am making biased decisions based on that (I've never had issues with her before in other topics I've taught) ...her reasons for my dislike are ludicrous.... 'does not respect my lifestyle choices', yeah no I don't like druggies, claims that I'm 'heterophobic' :classic_laugh: uhm yeah... I think she's homophobic actually. And that I was running my field school in a 'highly unprofessional manner' (yes my general manner and personality could be viewed as unprofessional but I've been accredited by the university as having all the requisite professional skills in accordance with uni requirements...that took 2 years of professional development courses which I passed), now I've had all 7 remaining students approach me independently since the incident on Tuesday to tell me a) that I'm an awesome teacher b) that this student is a nutjob and c) that I handled her in the best way possible. I don't have anything to worry about re: my job but this is very annoying.

• Haha 1

All done, site has been cleaned up and re-covered for next time. Not a great haul of fossils found, mostly fragmentary too, but there's enough there for the students to do decent site reports and fossil analyses. I've already identified everything we found (cos I'm a total nerd with a super memory and I'm allegedly an expert) so I'll be interested to see what species the students come up with haha. Nothing older then the mid Eocene I reckon roughly 45mya, nothing we'ed recognize today thats for sure lol All hitting the pub for dinner and celebratory drink (not me just cola) before making the 2 day return to Adelaide tomorrow. One good thing I have to do when I get back is run the radiometric dates (decay rates of radioactive isotopes within the rocks) for the samples so the students have those to work from...might do those on Monday even though its a public holiday...wifey is away so might as well hit the lab.

I've sent my formal response to my boss for a read, then it will go off to the union and the chancellor, if there's a case to answer (which there isn't and there won't be) then I'll have to speak to the academic advocate (a lawyer) and there will be a hearing before a panel of my peers from other universities. What a waste of time, this psycho student is lucky she isn't expelled for this ********. If she ends up in one of my classes again her work will have to be marked by someone else, I'm not going to risk more ****!

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 11:59 AM, MATT said:

Good to see this place is still breathing somewhat! Only come on here very occasionally but I hope everyone is doing well in these covid times. 

Echoing the same sentiment here. Hi kids.

• Like 1

Home! Yay 🙂 good to see my doggo and good to see the wifey before she goes away for 2 weeks. We're going to have about 8 hours together in 4 weeks 😞

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 1:37 PM, Mexicola said:

Echoing the same sentiment here. Hi kids.

Guess who's back, back again... 😁

On 10/2/2020 at 12:07 PM, KittyFit90 said:

I've sent my formal response to my boss for a read, then it will go off to the union and the chancellor, if there's a case to answer (which there isn't and there won't be) then I'll have to speak to the academic advocate (a lawyer) and there will be a hearing before a panel of my peers from other universities. What a waste of time, this psycho student is lucky she isn't expelled for this ********. If she ends up in one of my classes again her work will have to be marked by someone else, I'm not going to risk more ****!

This makes me frustrated as well xP Just stay cool (aka don't be like me) and it'll be over before you notice!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sent out a message to my field school students last night asking if anyone wanted to pop into the lab today and help with the radiometric dating. 6 of the 7 replied saying they'd love to come in...looks like I'm teaching an impromptu radiometric dating class today:classic_laugh: Just gotta check that each student has their lab accreditation, no accreditation no entry I'm afraid, there are dangerous chemicals and super expensive equipment in there.

Edited by KittyFit90

6 hours ago, UP100 said:

Guess who's back, back again... 😁

I'm like Quasimodo, I only come out when it's quiet 😉

5 hours ago, Mexicola said:

I'm like Quasimodo, I only come out when it's quiet 😉

Welcome back, still pretty much dead here most old school members have left or post once in awhile 🙂