The Stuff Thread

13 hours ago, couger1981 said:

Welcome back, still pretty much dead here most old school members have left or post once in awhile 🙂 

I wondered what happened to them... 🤔

• Like 1

What would be more tiring to a normal person to do during a single day?

1. Wake up at 7:30am, get to work by 8:30am, sit in your office until 10am, give a 45 min lecture, have a 2 hour lunch break (where I literally fell asleep under a tree on the lawn in the quadrangle of the earth sciences building), do a 45 min seminar at 1pm and another at 3:30am, home by 5pm on the dot.

or 

2. Wake up at 6am after being up till midnight the night before, wrangle 7 students to be ready to start by 8am, supervise 7 students all day, watching like a hawk as they excavate the most delicate and scientifically valuable fossils. All the while keeping an exhaustive site journal, managing student wellbeing (we had wasps and spiders...and a brown snake pay a visit), finish at 5pm and then be available to 'talk' with students until about 8pm about any concerns they have with how things are going. Up till midnight again doing paperwork and fixing up the gaps in my site journal. My site journal for the 2 weeks is 112 pages...of my tiny handwriting which I now have to type up. 

Last 2 weeks I did no 2 every day, I found it joyful, relaxing and easy to cope with. I did no 1 today and I am exhausted, frazzled and stressed. My brain is so weird...:classic_wacko: All my colleagues say they hate being the primary instructor on field schools, I loved it 🙂

(fyi site journals are critical, if for example we had stuffed up and destroyed a scientifically significant fossil my site journal would be used to prove that we were following correct procedures and were not being negligent...in Australia, destroying a paleontological site is up to a $250,000 fine or 2 years jail!)

This is sad... my boss has just told me and I'm in tears 😭

That student I had issues with.... she passed away Saturday morning from a drug overdose. 😭 She was pronounced dead on arrival at the RAH at 2:38am Saturday morning, a cocktail of alcohol and illicit party drugs. Seems she was a deeply disturbed and unhappy young woman and her issues obviously have been ongoing for a period of time.

I've contacted a grief counselor at the university and I have an appointment for tomorrow.... I know its not my fault but I can't help thinking 'what if I had tried harder on the field trip' but yeah.... its not my fault. I'm sad 😰

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

This is sad... my boss has just told me and I'm in tears 😭

That student I had issues with.... she passed away Saturday morning from a drug overdose. 😭 She was pronounced dead on arrival at the RAH at 2:38am Saturday morning, a cocktail of alcohol and illicit party drugs. Seems she was a deeply disturbed and unhappy young woman and her issues obviously have been ongoing for a period of time.

I've contacted a grief counselor at the university and I have an appointment for tomorrow.... I know its not my fault but I can't help thinking 'what if I had tried harder on the field trip' but yeah.... its not my fault. I'm sad 😰

That took an awful turn 😕

It's totally normal to ask "what if" in these situations. We humans are quite bad at handling sadness and pain and you're definitely not the only one having these thoughts. What this tells me though, is that you have one of the best traits a teacher could have. Even if you had issues with her, you still cared about her. Keep being awesome like that.

• Thanks 1

OMG I have so gotta find a way of driving a lap at Bathurst... that track is so awesome.

Maybe I could buy a drive at the 12 hour for next year, I dunno if I could get the licence necessary for it though. I'm gonna find out what the requirements/costs are! My parents and wife (wife can't complain she flies planes at the speed of sound and has landed on and taken off from a US aircraft carrier once!) will hate this, I think they were all relieved when I hung my helmet up last year lol. I still have my race suit though it will be baggy as hell on me now...I'm nearly below 50kg again! Need to find an entry where they want a midget girl with not much experience but a lot of enthusiasm and a pile of cash lols :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KittyFit90 said:

OMG I have so gotta find a way of driving a lap at Bathurst... that track is so awesome.

Maybe I could buy a drive at the 12 hour for next year, I dunno if I could get the licence necessary for it though. I'm gonna find out what the requirements/costs are! My parents and wife (wife can't complain she flies planes at the speed of sound and has landed on and taken off from a US aircraft carrier once!) will hate this, I think they were all relieved when I hung my helmet up last year lol. I still have my race suit though it will be baggy as hell on me now...I'm nearly below 50kg again! Need to find an entry where they want a midget girl with not much experience but a lot of enthusiasm and a pile of cash lols :classic_laugh:

Oi, I want in too! ...or considering the yesterday's F1 2020 Forum Championship race, I probably shouldn't be put near a car ever again. So many mistakes, and so many collisions... Also I don't have a pile of cash either, so that's also an issue, hahah

I can't recall much of your racing career, but you did rally at least, right? At least I seem to remember a post about a crash some years back 😛 

16 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Oi, I want in too! ...or considering the yesterday's F1 2020 Forum Championship race, I probably shouldn't be put near a car ever again. So many mistakes, and so many collisions... Also I don't have a pile of cash either, so that's also an issue, hahah

I can't recall much of your racing career, but you did rally at least, right? At least I seem to remember a post about a crash some years back 😛 

Yeah I did compete in the local rally champs and did 2 events for the national one. I was bad though... I had a level 2 racing licence (I raced formula 4 cars and tested a formula renault car once) way back in my teens but thats long expired. I don't even know what the modern equivalent is in Australia now or what level is required. I did compete in a few endurance races while I was doing my phd in England but that was in road legal production cars (one was a Toyota Corolla lol) and there was no special licence requirement for that at all. The Bathurst 12 hour is high performance cars in several categories... seems I need a special licence 😞 

Maybe its not too hard to get, I will ring Motorsport Australia on Monday and ask... there's a track in my state I could practice at (Talem Bend) and I own a high powered car I can practice in, though I don't want to have to modify it cos its so perfectly beautiful :classic_love:

I used to be really good, I was runner up twice in the South Australian Kart champs and did 2 seasons of aussie formula ford (f4 equiv) before I gave it up to focus on school. That all said, I bet I'd be really really slow now lol:classic_laugh::classic_laugh:

• Like 1

Ok so had this conversation with wifey just now (she got home this afternoon, back from Japan again, got more weird cola to drink :))

Me: So I'm thinking of getting back into racing...

She interrupts: hang on are you serious?

Me: yeah, I watched bathurst and it was just too cool and...

She interrupting again: I'm going to fulfill my promise to you, and remind you, that last time you went racing, you crashed and asked me to tell you, that under no circumstances are you to ever re-consider hanging up the helmet...ever ever again...

Me: yeah, but...

She interrupting yet again (lol): ever... then she held up a finger to my lips and said shh... and then said, go and make dinner and forget this conversation.

And thats the end of that 😞 She's right too, I can remember the shakes I had after the crash even though it was really minor...I can remember pulling my car over on the way to work and crying because I was scared to be driving on a city road😰. I'll just stick to the occasional speed limit exceeding blast on back roads in my red Italian car :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

Well that was an interesting day:classic_sleep: Wife took me to a 'secret location' ie Parafield Airport (small regional airport for the city) and then she took me flying in her new plane. She's been saving money for about 10 years and finally she had enough earlier in the year and bought herself a little single engine thing...don't ask me what it was... it looked tiny and not very sturdy to me lol. The way she went on about it though I think maybe it was a pretty good one :classic_biggrin: I've never been up with her before and I was a bit nervous, though I needn't have been...the RAAF have very strict training and procedures...she actually got into an argument with the airport controller over taxiing procedures lol and the whole time we were up she was telling me all this tech mumbo jumbo until I said 'why are you saying all that stuff it means nothing to me' and she's like 'oh thats operating procedure I always have to talk to my co-pilot so he knows whats up'...I guess if the RAAF trust her to fly a $125,000,000 aircraft then I needn't worry lol. Was a bit different to see the city from above but so low and slow compared to an airliner. We even flew over our house haha 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

Well that was an interesting day:classic_sleep: Wife took me to a 'secret location' ie Parafield Airport (small regional airport for the city) and then she took me flying in her new plane. She's been saving money for about 10 years and finally she had enough earlier in the year and bought herself a little single engine thing...don't ask me what it was... it looked tiny and not very sturdy to me lol. The way she went on about it though I think maybe it was a pretty good one :classic_biggrin: I've never been up with her before and I was a bit nervous, though I needn't have been...the RAAF have very strict training and procedures...she actually got into an argument with the airport controller over taxiing procedures lol and the whole time we were up she was telling me all this tech mumbo jumbo until I said 'why are you saying all that stuff it means nothing to me' and she's like 'oh thats operating procedure I always have to talk to my co-pilot so he knows whats up'...I guess if the RAAF trust her to fly a $125,000,000 aircraft then I needn't worry lol. Was a bit different to see the city from above but so low and slow compared to an airliner. We even flew over our house haha 🙂

Cool! Also I'm imaging the whole thing with this on the background 😁
I'll never be able to get this song out of my memory. 

• Haha 1

Oohh exciting stuff! Well it is to me anyway :classic_biggrin:

A mining company doing an environmental impact assessment for a potential drilling site have turned up a new potential Ediacaran fossil bed! Their consultant paleontologist says that she's out of her depth and has asked my colleague from the other university for help, so we're both going to fly up there tomorrow and have a quick look (its part of the Olympic Dam uranium mine area but is over 150km further to the west). There won't be any in depth work done on it at this point, most likely the mining company will declare the site off limits and move on, way cheaper for them as the law here will allow my colleague and I to slap a 'scientifically significant' label on the site which makes it a crime to disturb it. 

I'll be back Sunday night, hopefully with something interesting to bore my wife with 🙂

Edited by KittyFit90
Grammar

Uff I'm so tired right now!       

Big day surveying a very small fossil area. Identified 2 definite Ediacaran fossils and another 7 possibles. The consultant paleontologist is happy and will recommend that the mining company put a cross through the area and move on. My colleague and I are considering coming back in the new year and excavating the small area. Its geologically interesting as the this layer has been forced to the surface by a meteorite impact some 200 mya (we know this because of the presence of Iridium isotopes in the rock strata, something which does not occur on Earth except in impact structures) and has just recently become exposed due to sand erosion of the soft sandstone on top of the fossils...unfortunately in the nearby area that impact had thrown this layer further up and it got eroded away millions of years ago. This site makes 3 areas in this state where Ediacaran fossils have survived the last 650 million years!              

• Like 1

Put a deposit down on my wifes 35th Bday gift...I'm sick and tired of her awful pickup truck sitting in my carport, so I'm buying her some new wheels. A Mach 1 Mustang in black, pretty sweet American muscle car that even looks decent, she'll love it 🙂 Imo its a bit vulgar but I like Alfas so haha May not get delivery for her birthday (Jan17) but it shouldn't be too much longer after that.

In other news, with Covid being eliminated in Australia (yay!) our state borders are opening and my whole family is going to my eldest sisters place in Cairns for christmas! I haven't seen my middle sisters third of the family for 8 months, so this is gonna be sweet. Only 6 weeks left of work then I'm off till Feb.

• Like 1

Went flying again today, went down the coast to the south for an hour and then back to the city. Was great to see all the beaches and yachts, even flew over kangaroo island for a bit. Really nice 🙂 I still have no idea how planes work lol, but Meg has it under control!:classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

Gotta love the spam posts lol

Wifey away so had a slice of cake for dinner tonight:classic_laugh: I'm just about to my target weight of 50kg, was 50.1 yesterday morning :classic_smile: I feel amazing....just still look totally like a dork but not fat anymore!:classic_cool:

2 hours ago, Sir.Smoke said:

This is sad.

Well hopefully you're not replying to Kitty's last message 😁

• Agree 1

End of semester = marking time!....I hate marking:classic_sad:, I have 82 major essays to mark and in a weeks time I'll have 82 exams to mark. I really hope there are no fails, because I don't like failing students as it seems too brutal and the paperwork I have to do to fail someone is so much hassle. :classic_sad:

On 11/13/2020 at 11:00 AM, KittyFit90 said:

I don't like failing students as it seems too brutal and the paperwork I have to do to fail someone is so much hassle. :classic_sad:

you is teacher ?

3 minutes ago, KittyFit90 said:

Yeah I lecture in Paleontology 🙂

so you work for high  school or university , amazing 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, gk9147 said:

so you work for high  school or university , amazing 

University and yeah its a pretty cool 'job' :classic_biggrin::classic_cool:

• Like 2

Well my university is closed as of today. A repatriated person has broken their quarantine and infected some people and there's a mini outbreak (17 people) in progress. Our state government has gone into lockdown effective immediately to stop it cold. All this anguish for a state of 1.4million people that had not even seen Covid19 this whole time, because of some s***head who could not stay confined. We had 0 Covid cases (baring repatriation) thats 0...and now 17 people, however many more will pay because of one ******. Will I get to see my family at christmas now? Probably not, all the other states have closed off to SA today...d**khead...0 cases...for shame...this guy needs criminal charges against him...****wit. Anyone dies this guy has to go to jail.

Omfg my wife's squadron commander phoned while I was typing, my wife will have to remain within the RAAF base now until further notice...she is active personnel and has to go overseas regularly and military bases have to be 100% Covid secure so she cannot enter the civilian environment until there are no active community cases. ******* hell😥

• Sad 1

My state is going into total lockdown tonight, nobody in Adelaide is going to be allowed to leave their house for 6 days except for essential business. I'm going to pack a bag and go and stay with my parents, as I can already feel my anxiety levels building and I don't want to have a massive panic attack and end up in hospital at a time when nobody will be able to visit me. 😥

• Sad 1