The Stuff Thread

Day 1 of total lockdown...up early and doing my marking. I'm depressed and anxious and very glad I went to my parents as my wife is still overseas and I can't even ring her, she is back in Adelaide mid next week but has to stay on base until our Covid is down to 0 again. My parents were amazed to learn last night that there is a thing called online grocery shopping lol I ordered our food for the week last night for delivery on Friday haha...they are old and a bit behind the times.:classic_laugh:

I give each essay a quick glance and sort them into rough categories ie Pass, Credit, Distinction and High Distinction and then I will read all of them in depth and give a rough grade, something like 80-90 then once thats done I will choose the best 3 and the worst 3 and work out a final grade for those, then I will grade the rest compared to those 6. So far I have read around half of the 82 I have. The exam is tomorrow but its online and not that long (it doesn't have an essay question) and will be easy to grade.

Oh and I won an award at work, the student association for paleontology voted me their favourite lecturer :classic_biggrin:, I will get a box of chocolates when lockdown finishes. They especially liked my lockdown lectures from the beach (that was back in march-april) and my infectious enthusiasm for all things paleontology. That did cheer me up a tad. 🙂 

Edited by KittyFit90
Grammar
  • Like 1

Yay!!! Our hard lockdown is ending 3 days early, SA health have managed to track nearly everyone who was in contact with this idiot and they have all been quarantined. 23 people have gotten Covid from this dropkick but no more....0 cases in the last 48 hours. This person lied to the SA Police and will be facing prosecution for knowingly misleading government authorities.

I'm so relieved :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Some great news, I'm back to work on Wednesday, some staff are already back but as I'm part time my boss is having me wait a little longer. Also my wifey will be able to come home when she gets back from overseas, there are now no community transmitted cases, all Covid activity in Adelaide is among people already placed into quarantine. And fingers crossed nobody looks to be all that sick this time around, nobody has been sent to Intensive Care and all appear to be recovering quicker then back in March/April. Looks like I will get to see family for Christmas!

Oh and I reached my target weight this morning 50kg on the nose 🙂 So happy...going to push a bit more and get down to my weight from my late teens somewhere between 48-49kg.....haha I might be able to fit into my school uniform again...last wore that when I was 15 (I graduated high school 2 years early). If I get to 48 then I will be half the size of my wife, shes 6"5 and weights around 95kgs (mostly muscles)...that will be hilarious...though she'll probs start calling me 'mini me' again like she used to way back. 

It's been a while since I've written anything here. I'm just a tad lazy 😅

Had my call-ups recently. I'll complete my mandatory military service next summer in the Karelia Brigade. Apparently I was quite lucky to land a spot in 2021, as most would have to wait till 2022. Definitely happy to start in summer rather than having to also battle against the Finnish winter! 😁

• Like 1

Finland has compulsory military service? Wow...guess it makes sense though with your huge neighbour. Australia had national service but that ceased just after the Korean War. My family though has a tradition of service, my Dad was an army captain and did 2 tours of Vietnam, my eldest nephew is a Major in the army engineers, my middle nephew is a commander in the RAN, my youngest nephew is a Lt in the Army infantry and of course my wife is a pilot in the RAAF. Me...I'd be totally unsuitable for any service, I'm barely 5ft, totally autistic (mental) and squeamish as hell. :classic_laugh:

+1 on not having to do your service during the Finnish winter...ouch. My wife is doing her survival behind enemy lines refresher course this summer in tropical New Guinea...35 degrees and constant rain and mud... fun times lol. She loves that sort of stuff though:classic_huh: She's home now btw, been to Japan again...I really want to know what shes up to there but I know not to ask because she can't/won't tell me... I can't get a security clearance, I tried when my wife first signed up but I was classified 'unstable' and a risk by the defense department...which is totally fair enough lol. It does get frustrating at times but I'm used to it now.

22 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

Finland has compulsory military service? Wow...guess it makes sense though with your huge neighbour. Australia had national service but that ceased just after the Korean War. My family though has a tradition of service, my Dad was an army captain and did 2 tours of Vietnam, my eldest nephew is a Major in the army engineers, my middle nephew is a commander in the RAN, my youngest nephew is a Lt in the Army infantry and of course my wife is a pilot in the RAAF. Me...I'd be totally unsuitable for any service, I'm barely 5ft, totally autistic (mental) and squeamish as hell. :classic_laugh:

+1 on not having to do your service during the Finnish winter...ouch. My wife is doing her survival behind enemy lines refresher course this summer in tropical New Guinea...35 degrees and constant rain and mud... fun times lol. She loves that sort of stuff though:classic_huh: She's home now btw, been to Japan again...I really want to know what shes up to there but I know not to ask because she can't/won't tell me... I can't get a security clearance, I tried when my wife first signed up but I was classified 'unstable' and a risk by the defense department...which is totally fair enough lol. It does get frustrating at times but I'm used to it now.

Yeah. Basically the idea of the Finnish Defence Forces is to discourage other countries from trying to invade, as we'll fight to the last... man I suppose. Military service is optional for women, which is a quite controversial topic. I'm no model serviceman either. I barely weigh more than you, making me slightly underweight. Got around seven months to get in shape though, so I'll do my best 🙂 

Also this year the Finnish Defence Forces did this kind of fictional conflict video in which Finland is invaded. It shows what a possible invasion could look like in 2020. It's 20 minutes long, has English subtitles and even includes real news reporters. Hearing one of the Finnish news reporters say "Finland is at war." is quite chilling

Haha nice video, I hope the experience is ok for you. 

Its so hot today, 40.6 recorded and its not even officially summer yet!

Edited by KittyFit90
  • Like 1

Surprise, surprise...wifey wants to fly me and her up to Queensland for christmas. She argues that a) Covid is still around and flying on a commercial airline is a risk b) she's a better pilot then any Qantas hack (her words lol) c) if we drive she won't let me take my red italian car and she won't let me break the speed limit d) it will be hot in the car and it will take 3-4 days at least (probs 5 if I can't cruise at 180kmph the whole way lol) e) there's room in her plane for the two us, my dog and our luggage if I don't take too much useless **** (her words) f) we can hire a car when we get to Cairns. All good arguments I guess and I get the impression she's not gonna listen to my objections haha

She's got a rough flight plan of 3 hops of about 800km over 3 days. Its just around 3000km by car as we'ed have to loop towards the coast where the roads are better instead of going straight through the desert, something we can do by plane. sigh guess I'm gonna spend 3 days stuck in a tiny plane with a smelly old dog and the most rule and reg conscious annoying pilot who tells me off for putting my drink bottle in the wrong spot etc.:classic_blink::classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

On 11/26/2020 at 10:07 PM, UP100 said:

Basically the idea of the Finnish Defence Forces is to discourage other countries from trying to invade, as we'll fight to the last... man I suppose.

This^

I was supposed to start my military service in 2012, but I managed to get so bad shoulder injury, so they told me to stay home. 😒

"exemption from peacetime service"

• Like 2

Wife is working on her flight plan to Queensland, I gave up yesterday and agreed to fly up with her. Sigh... Were doing Adelaide to Broken Hill (NSW) then Broken Hill to Longreach (QLD) and then Longreach to Cairns (QLD) a total flight of 2,500km which will take 3 days and roughly 13-14 hours total flight time (The commercial airline does it in one hop at 4hrs 30). My task is to book accommodation in each town on the way and arrange a taxi to take us from the small airports into town.

She and her CO have worked out their holidays, she's getting christmas and he's getting new years, so we have to be back in Adelaide no later than the 29th of December, which means we need to leave Cairns the day after Christmas, which sucks but thats how it is. I'm busy buying my 7 great nieces and nephews their presents (yes both my sisters are grandmothers lol), ordering online and having them sent to my sisters place in Cairns as there won't be room for anything bar clothes and my dog on the plane. 

I've got one more week of work to go, then I'm off until Feb when I am teaching my fossil lab intensive course. I am also looking at increasing my workload from .25 to .33 for next year and teaching a third field/intensive course since I enjoy those so much. 🙂 My marking is almost done now, got the exams done and down to about 15 big essays to finish...so far no fails!

Broke my phone's headphone jack 😕 

Not sure what I want to do yet. Phones cost quite a bit of money these days and the one I currently have (Sony XZ1 Compact) has been the best phone I've had. The problem is that the headphone jack was the most used feature of the phone alongside the display

• Sad 1

I'm interested in what constitutes a 'traditional' Christmas meal and day around the world. 

In Australia there are 2 meal options, which are considered to be 'normal'. 1. The roast meat (turkey, pork or lamb) with vegetables or salad (depending on how hot the day is) or seafood with vegetables or salads. Now obviously here it can be above 40 degrees for Christmas so the dining tends to be very informal and casual with the meal sometimes being mostly served cold. I suspect this is very different to countries in the northern hemisphere and to non anglo countries too. 🙂

This year my sister is doing locally caught fish (coal roasted in foil) probably some Barramundi and some Crayfish (Lobster), with a whole pile of salads and fresh tropical fruit. My sister lives in tropical Queensland and all these items are local. :classic_love: The lunch will be eaten outside in her back garden under the shady trees in humid mid 30s temperatures, she has a pool and access to the beach down a short path and I imagine most of us will swim during the day along with a game of tennis ball cricket. 

8 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

I'm interested in what constitutes a 'traditional' Christmas meal and day around the world. 

In Australia there are 2 meal options, which are considered to be 'normal'. 1. The roast meat (turkey, pork or lamb) with vegetables or salad (depending on how hot the day is) or seafood with vegetables or salads. Now obviously here it can be above 40 degrees for Christmas so the dining tends to be very informal and casual with the meal sometimes being mostly served cold. I suspect this is very different to countries in the northern hemisphere and to non anglo countries too. 🙂

This year my sister is doing locally caught fish (coal roasted in foil) probably some Barramundi and some Crayfish (Lobster), with a whole pile of salads and fresh tropical fruit. My sister lives in tropical Queensland and all these items are local. :classic_love: The lunch will be eaten outside in her back garden under the shady trees in humid mid 30s temperatures, she has a pool and access to the beach down a short path and I imagine most of us will swim during the day along with a game of tennis ball cricket. 

I'll list some of the things we have which are also considered popular in other Finnish families:

1. Baked ham ("Joulukinkku", Christmas Ham)
  2. Rutabaga casserole, carrot casserole and sweetened potato casserole
  3. Freshy salted salmon (my favourite by far)
    https://finland.fi/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/26265206-350x525.jpg
  4. Rosolli salad
    1727153-700x461.jpg (700×461) (finland.fi)

These are the ones that are the most popular I believe, after which there are a lot of different choices such as if you want to have potatoes, vegetables and fish (hot or cold).

Then foods that are enjoyed usually outside of the Christmas meal:

• Rice porridge
    2490-riisipuuro_paiviniemi_visitfinland-jpg-700x378.jpg (700×378)
    We usually have this on the morning of Christmas Eve. There's usually a single almond hidden in it and apparently you can make a wish or something when you find it. The thing is that I usually find it on the first spoonful of porridge I eat 😁

• Christmas pastries, gingerbread cookies and glögg (though I drink non-alcoholic which may even be the more popular choice)
    You can't hide from these.

I wish it would even be cold here. Some years it's -20C here, sometimes it's closer to 0 😕 

• Like 2

Man I just realised that I didn't sign up for a class I thought I had signed up for. It would've been a project that I'd had to do independently and it would've taken a lot of time from my life (quite exactly 38 work hours). Happy to be able to graduate without it! 😅

• Haha 1

Work is done for the year, just got home from my end of year dinner with my colleagues. We all got a bit silly :classic_laugh: had a charity quiz with the meal, all sorts of shouting and laughing...had a great time:classic_biggrin: even wifey enjoyed herself, she had no good excuse not to come and I think she was expecting a very dry group of academics...little does she know that all Paleontologists are a bit mental lol!:classic_laugh: I'm still 100% non drinking too, just cola for me.:classic_smile:

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2020 at 8:59 AM, UP100 said:

I'll list some of the things we have which are also considered popular in other Finnish families:

1. Baked ham ("Joulukinkku", Christmas Ham)
  2. Rutabaga casserole, carrot casserole and sweetened potato casserole
  3. Freshy salted salmon (my favourite by far)
    https://finland.fi/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/26265206-350x525.jpg
  4. Rosolli salad
    1727153-700x461.jpg (700×461) (finland.fi)

These are the ones that are the most popular I believe, after which there are a lot of different choices such as if you want to have potatoes, vegetables and fish (hot or cold).

Then foods that are enjoyed usually outside of the Christmas meal:

• Rice porridge
    2490-riisipuuro_paiviniemi_visitfinland-jpg-700x378.jpg (700×378)
    We usually have this on the morning of Christmas Eve. There's usually a single almond hidden in it and apparently you can make a wish or something when you find it. The thing is that I usually find it on the first spoonful of porridge I eat 😁

• Christmas pastries, gingerbread cookies and glögg (though I drink non-alcoholic which may even be the more popular choice)
    You can't hide from these.

I wish it would even be cold here. Some years it's -20C here, sometimes it's closer to 0 😕 

Will be spending my Christmas in Finland this year for the first time. Really looking forward to the Christmas ham and pastries!

Hopefully there will be some snow to make it that little bit more special 😁

• Like 2

22 hours ago, phil83 said:

Will be spending my Christmas in Finland this year for the first time. Really looking forward to the Christmas ham and pastries!

Hopefully there will be some snow to make it that little bit more special 😁

Well if you're around the Helsinki area... *looks outside* ...good luck.

😁

No snow in Finland? wow...we're expecting an early start to the cyclone season for the tropical regions. Could mean I won't have to fly in wifes plane for chrissy lol!:classic_biggrin:

Holy c***.... my wife is on holidays now... today she said 'we'll go for a short run and be back for lunch'...her definition of a short run and mine are very different things. I'm shattered😞 we did 3km... holy buggers....apparently tomorrow were going to ride our bikes down to the beach (8km) and then do sprints in the dunes, then ride back...I gave her my best p**s off look but she just grinned. It'll be downhill on the way there and all the way up coming back, the main road to our suburb is very steep 30% gradient and about 1.5km long... I'm either going to die or find a way of killing her at some point!😀

Edited by KittyFit90

On 12/14/2020 at 10:48 AM, KittyFit90 said:

No snow in Finland? wow...we're expecting an early start to the cyclone season for the tropical regions. Could mean I won't have to fly in wifes plane for chrissy lol!:classic_biggrin:

Southern Finland hasn't had much snow in the very recent years

Though I remember those painful winters in which you're walking for an hour in deep snow at -20C. Not sure if I want those either 😁

• Like 1

Well...that wasn't fun...:classic_sad:

Been out for over 6 hours being tortured by a fitness obsessed nutjob...everything hurts from my toes to my ears (sunburn on the latter)😢... my legs are agony after the sprints and riding up the hill, lucky it wasn't a particularly hot day otherwise I would've died. :classic_wacko: Apparently I am now aiming to be 45kg as according to said nutjob, someone of my size needs to be at the lower end of the average BMI which is 45kg for me. I haven't been that light since my mid teens:classic_unsure: 

Edited by KittyFit90

On 12/15/2020 at 3:38 PM, UP100 said:

Southern Finland hasn't had much snow in the very recent years

Though I remember those painful winters in which you're walking for an hour in deep snow at -20C. Not sure if I want those either 😁

I really don't expect snow for Christmas but I live in hope! Latest weather report I've seen for Helsinki is potential for some on xmas day, so here's hoping!

Going to be a special experience this xmas. Really looking forward to spending time with my wife's family and also looking forward to some joulutorttu 😍

Have arrived in Broken Hill NSW, a bit of a dump, 3.5 hour flight today and pretty smooth, I'm getting used to the small plane. You might think that not going on a commercial airline would cut waiting around at the airport time...it doesn't:classic_mellow: I waited 3 hours this morning! Wifey inspected every square centimetre of her plane then we waited 45 minutes for a mechanic to turn up and change one tiny little thing, then another 30 minutes after that for clearance to take off...what a drag! And when we got to Broken Hill, the Taxi I had organised wasn't there and we waited over an hour for someone who worked at the airport to knock off and she drove us to our motel.

On to Longreach QLD today, 4.5 hours across mostly red sand desert. Wifey says it will be a bumpy trip as the hot updrafts from the desert will make thing turbulent, I've got my spew bags packed!:classic_biggrin:

Phew that was close, NSW into Covid lockdown today, had to wait 3 hours this morning to hear that we'ed be allowed into Queensland. Thankfully rural NSW was not restricted until tonight so we we're given permission to fly on. Longreach is hot and dusty, 4 hours tomorrow on to Cairns, can't wait to see my sister...its been a while.:classic_love:

Oh and for the record I puked 4 times and my dog 3 times lol, bumpy as hell the whole way and the crosswinds at Longreach airport woah, the plane was swaying all over the place on landing, though wifey said she'd landed on Guam during a cyclone with 200km/ph crosswinds and that this was a 'piece of cake'.