Jump to content Jump to content

The Stuff Thread

Ron666

Hughesy said:
I'm the opposite, I can't sleep at all with a headache, just watching Top Gear Africa special on Dave whilst drinking a beer. Beer is the cure for everything I've found since I started drinking again a few weeks back :joy: 
I tend to sleep better  when I'm not very well htan when I'm 100% though strange really but I find it helps.

Oh damn why did I agree to take my parents to Bristol airport this Sunday? This was arranged ages ago so I didn't realise the Canadian GP was on, but atleast I can record it. I'm hoping I might even make it back before the start if there's no traffic. Two weeks later will be worse though, as I have to pick them up at 3am on a Sunday :#

Hughesy said:
Oh damn why did I agree to take my parents to Bristol airport this Sunday? This was arranged ages ago so I didn't realise the Canadian GP was on, but atleast I can record it. I'm hoping I might even make it back before the start if there's no traffic. Two weeks later will be worse though, as I have to pick them up at 3am on a Sunday :#
Tell them a mate went off from Bristol and the queues took ages. Deliver them to the port 2 hours early, then decamp to the nearest pub to watch the F1.

dirt3joe said:
Hughesy said:
Tell them a mate went off from Bristol and the queues took ages. Deliver them to the port 2 hours early, then decamp to the nearest pub to watch the F1.
Sounds like a plan, but I'd rather get home so I can have more than 1 pint :D I still don't get why my mum isn't driving, I did last time I went on holiday, the only problem I had was it didn't read my number plate but was sorted within a few minutes of getting home. I think all things going well (and of course no speeding  o:) ) I should get home with 20 minutes to spare.
 Yeovil isn't too far from Bristol as long as I don't follow the satnav, for some reason it always takes me on a longer route. I do have Mr T as the voice for it though, so it does keep me amused :joy: 

I'm hoping this drive to the airport tomorrow makes me enjoy driving again, since getting my car back I feel like a new driver who's tense lol. I am getting over it slowly, but yesterday I saw a bike do what that idiot that hit me did. A car came out from where I was, but this biker managed to stop as he was going slow atleast. Not sure if I said this but the biker who hit me actually slammed into the ground as soon as he hit the brakes, so only his bike hit my car. Makes me think he could've stopped if he wasn't such a crap rider, it should've been a simple emergency stop like you do in the cbt.

Who would recommend I buy myself a Netflix subscription? I finish my exams on Wednesday so I'm gonna get my free month, but I'm not sure whether I'll then keep going after that. Anyone here got it?

I've got it, depends what sort of thing you like. I guess its worth it if you watch a lot of TV or films. Using a proxy can get you access to other countries listings, not that I told you that. Dont use Hula Unblocker though, not very secure.

I've had Netflix since the day it came to the UK. My biggest issue is that it's almost impossible to find new things you haven't seen. A huge majority of the stuff you'll see on the 'home' page as it were is like 3% of all of the stuff on there so you kind of have to know what you're looking for before you go looking. 

It needs a 'I'm feeling lucky' button or a random button. That being said, I watch so much content through it and the original stuff is absolutely incredible. (House of Cards, Daredevil, Marco Polo etc).

I refuse to get Netfilx again. I had it ages ago but cancelled it, then 6 months later I see they had been taking money out of my account for 2 months. I rang them and demanded my money back as I never restarted the subscription but they refused. They could see that I hadn't used it at all for those two months yet still refused, I gave up arguing in the end but I refuse to go back with them ever again. The service itself is great, but the customer service is beyond a joke.

Hughesy said:
I refuse to get Netfilx again. I had it ages ago but cancelled it, then 6 months later I see they had been taking money out of my account for 2 months. I rang them and demanded my money back as I never restarted the subscription but they refused. They could see that I hadn't used it at all for those two months yet still refused, I gave up arguing in the end but I refuse to go back with them ever again. The service itself is great, but the customer service is beyond a joke.

I'd never use a service like that for exactly those reasons. I'd rather save the money buy a DVD and watch the program/film that way and sell it on afterwards if I no longer wanted it.

Hughesy said:
BBC releasing unseen footage of Top Gear http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/top-gear-tv-series-22-remaining-episode-trailer-2015-06-08
Such a shame it'll be the last ever, I won't be getting netflix so I hope they go to Sky or ITV or Channel 4 etc.

Actually, now I've said that, I've just read an article saying all 3 and Andy Wilman have been having meetings with ITV...

You realise how bad the show would be on a channel like those? Adverts every 15 minutes, show would be neutered because all the main advertisers are the car companies. Netflix is the best place for them, especially if they throw money at the show like they've done with their other created shows.

While it not being on free TV is negative, I'd rather have them be able to do what they want and create the best show possible. Can't see that possible on a TV channel.

I just feel that anything on Sky, etc, will be in a similar vein to what was on BBC, just with less of it because of adverts. But we'll see what happens.

Platy said:
While it not being on free TV is negative, I'd rather have them be able to do what they want and create the best show possible. Can't see that possible on a TV channel.

I just feel that anything on Sky, etc, will be in a similar vein to what was on BBC, just with less of it because of adverts. But we'll see what happens.
I agree dude that with something like Netflix they'd really be able to do what they wanted to make the show the best, and it'd be fantastic. But putting anything that Clarkson, May, and Hammond do behind a pay wall is just a big no for me.
It's like with the F1, Sky's viewer figures aren't particularly high despite the coverage being really good. Where even with more than half the races being shown as highlights BBC's figure are generally a lot higher per race. I think it's something like BBC usually score 2-3 millions viewers even with highlights (just read the 2013 German GP highlights hit 7.7 million), when Sky I don't think have even hit a million viewers for any race yet. Highest number I remember reading for them was around 945,000. 

Reason being because you gotta pay a fair bit extra on top of the TV license for Sky (about 5x as much as the TV license alone), while with BBC you pay your TV license and all BBC channels and every other freeview channel is free. So to have Top Gear stuck behind a pay wall where only people willing to pay for it can watch it would suck, I'd definitely rather put up with a cut down show featuring adverts over one I'd have to pay for a monthly subscription on top of the TV license just to get away from 9 minutes of adverts per show.

Saying that though, if it has Clarkson, May, and Hammond, then it doesn't really bother me how it's shown, I'll watch it one way or another! There's always streaming sites if it comes to it ;)

Just to point out (not that it matters really) but Monaco viewing figures were over 1M, but I do agree paid TV will always have lower figures. Mind you globally F1 viewing figures are down a lot. For me it didn't matter as I already had Skysports, it's a shame so many miss out as personally I think Sky have done the best coverage I've seen for F1.  BBC have made cuts to sports for years, now they don't even have football league highlights as they've gone to Channel 5.
Sky pays for itself for me, as I'm pretty much a vegetable so watch a lot of TV :joy: 
Anyway back the the topic, I'm really looking forward to seeing the last real Top Gear episodes, hopefully after that the trio will announce a new show :D