Jump to content Jump to content

fIsince08 said:
I don't even see the point in us having nukes. We'll never use them on the offensive and if we're hit by one we'll all be killed anyway, so why do we need them?

It's mostly a detterent I think to convince those that might want to use theirs against us in that we can retaliate in kind if neccessary
This is right. The deterrent strategy is arguably the strategy that saved the world from nuclear destruction during the cold war.    
AMS97KRR said:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/12/theresa-mays-first-job-decide-on-uks-nuclear-response

May has to write the letter in her own hand, giving detailed instructions about what the UK’s response should be in the event of a pre-emptive nuclear attack. The letter will, under the relevant circumstances, be opened by the commander of the Trident submarine, who would have to assume that the prime minister was no longer in a position to take live command of the situation. 

The options are said to include the orders “Put yourself under the command of the US, if it is still there”; “Go to Australia”; “Retaliate”; or “Use your own judgment”.

Aw, thanks guys. :')
I don't understand why they would even do this, If the UK has been wiped out by nukes, I'd just unleash my entire arsenal on the person who did it. I mean that is literally the point of having them.

I think it's the fact that in the event of a disaster and action needs to be taken kind of scenario and seeing as the prime minister is effectively our leader in these circumstances it's down to them. I'm just glad it's not my job.
No I meant the lines I highlighted :p 

Why would we give the option of putting our nukes under the control of a foreign power if we are wiped out?
AMS97KRR said:
AMS97KRR said:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/12/theresa-mays-first-job-decide-on-uks-nuclear-response

May has to write the letter in her own hand, giving detailed instructions about what the UK’s response should be in the event of a pre-emptive nuclear attack. The letter will, under the relevant circumstances, be opened by the commander of the Trident submarine, who would have to assume that the prime minister was no longer in a position to take live command of the situation. 

The options are said to include the orders “Put yourself under the command of the US, if it is still there”; “Go to Australia”; “Retaliate”; or “Use your own judgment”.

I don't understand why they would even do this, If the UK has been wiped out by nukes, I'd just unleash my entire arsenal on the person who did it. I mean that is literally the point of having them.

I think it's the fact that in the event of a disaster and action needs to be taken kind of scenario and seeing as the prime minister is effectively our leader in these circumstances it's down to them. I'm just glad it's not my job.

Why would we give the option of putting our nukes under the control of a foreign power if we are wiped out?
Because those particular countries in question are our military allies I'd assume. We get on more with the US than we do anyone I think for example. If something like that would or should hapopen it's likely we'd end up having to join forces to bring the """" down on who did it
AMS97KRR said:
AMS97KRR said:

Because those particular countries in question are our military allies I'd assume. We get on more with the US than we do anyone I think for example. If something like that would or should hapopen it's likely we'd end up having to join forces to bring the """" down on who did it
Screw that, as I said, if Britain is wiped out by nukes, I hope they just fire our entire stockpile at the ones who did it. The US might be a military ally, but if we are wiped out, that matters little.
10:30 at night and the prick next door is drilling into the wall, goes on much longer it won't be his walls that needs fixing. Its actually the new boyfriend of the woman next door. He seems to have a dog now, the dog has been left outside all day and still is now, it's crying. May actually call the RSPCA tomorrow as the poor thing isn't being looked after properly. 
I get home to a lovely package. I love it, I paid extra for the voice control remote and it's the best voice system I've used, it always displays what I say. I have Amazon Prime so it made sense to get it. 

Currently watching Fear The Walking Dead on it, been meaning to watch it for a while as I love the main series. 
fIsince08 said:
Has the forum broke for anyone else? I can't access any of the sub forums/threads (except the secret mod ones) unless I go through my notifications.

Yes definitely I've been having trouble  all day. All my other sites are working fine but this one's been problematic all day. Annoying considering I've been trying to keep up to date with all the F1 2016 news and info. As I've been on this site a lot lately keeping tabs on all that. The last thing this site needs is problems right when they're about to release a new game. I assume they're going over their servers ready for F1 2016's launch which might be why we're experiencing problems but I don't know.
I'm not even watching the Olympics, but I didn't realise just how many of the United States' Gold medals were in Swimming. Like that is the only sport they are actually good at so far, they only have 7 in events other than swimming (No idea what events have been done and what hasn't). 
Crikey, I never realised that statistic either!

Something I have been gripped to is the track cycling, and it's great to see the amount of success GB are having. It's amazing to think that if Becky James got the gold in the Keirin yesterday, then after the first 3 days of cycling, GB would have won every medal available! They're also guaranteed gold and silver later tonight in the sprint. Just incredible. It's weird how some countries just seem to exceed at some sports (think Jamaica in sprinting, the African's in the distance events, etc).
Uh ok, who the hell would want beer tasting like old crusty arse?  Well you're in luck...... 

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/beer-to-be-made-from-yeast-swabbed-from-roald-dahls-writing-chair-a7195721.html?amp
Results day today. I didn't quite get the grades I wanted, but I'll be heading to Sunderland in September to do Automotive Engineering. I was a little disappointed this morning but now I'm excited and looking forward to it.

And I'm getting a season ticket  B)
  • UP100 pinned this topic
  • UP100 featured this topic