Jump to content Jump to content

I understand a lot of people didn't like either candidate but still, this is going to affect their lives in some form, so they should surely vote for their 'most likeable' candidate? Can't believe how many didn't vote.

I wouldn't mind betting a sizeable proportion of the millennials didn't vote. Wasn't there a statistic about the EU referendum, that something like only 40% of 18-24 year olds actually voted? Compared to far higher percentages for older generations.

And they were the ones saying 'the elderly have ruined it for us, they don't care about our future' on their Facebook feeds the next day. Well maybe it would have been different if you went out and bothered to take 5 minutes of your day to vote.

In fact, I know one example of this myself. One guy who I'm friends with on Facebook (but not really friends, we all have them) had been sharing all sorts of Remain stuff in the lead up to the referendum, and surprise surprise, this apparent 'tolerant liberal' was now posting and sharing all this hate stuff about Brexit voters, that they're all racist and Nazi's, demanding a 2nd referendum, and complaining that the older generations had ruined it for him.

Well as it turns out, he never even bothered to vote! I found this out from a mutual friend of mine (who is more friendly with him), and yeah, this guy apparently just couldn't be bothered to vote. Apparently he was so convinced Remain was going to win that he thought his vote wouldn't matter.

Turns out posting on Facebook isn't the same as actually voting mate. You only have yourself to blame.

And therefore I would not be surprised if it was a similar situation over in the States. All the polls said Hillary was going to win, just like with the EU, so some probably just assumed they wouldn't need to vote, because it wouldn't make a difference.

The moral of the story is to ALWAYS vote. Every time.
MBKF1 said:
I understand a lot of people didn't like either candidate but still, this is going to affect their lives in some form, so they should surely vote for their 'most likeable' candidate? Can't believe how many didn't vote.

I wouldn't mind betting a sizeable proportion of the millennials didn't vote. Wasn't there a statistic about the EU referendum, that something like only 40% of 18-24 year olds actually voted? Compared to far higher percentages for older generations.

And they were the ones saying 'the elderly have ruined it for us, they don't care about our future' on their Facebook feeds the next day. Well maybe it would have been different if you went out and bothered to take 5 minutes of your day to vote.

In fact, I know one example of this myself. One guy who I'm friends with on Facebook (but not really friends, we all have them) had been sharing all sorts of Remain stuff in the lead up to the referendum, and surprise surprise, this apparent 'tolerant liberal' was now posting and sharing all this hate stuff about Brexit voters, that they're all racist and Nazi's, demanding a 2nd referendum, and complaining that the older generations had ruined it for him.

Well as it turns out, he never even bothered to vote! I found this out from a mutual friend of mine (who is more friendly with him), and yeah, this guy apparently just couldn't be bothered to vote. Apparently he was so convinced Remain was going to win that he thought his vote wouldn't matter.

Turns out posting on Facebook isn't the same as actually voting mate. You only have yourself to blame.

And therefore I would not be surprised if it was a similar situation over in the States. All the polls said Hillary was going to win, just like with the EU, so some probably just assumed they wouldn't need to vote, because it wouldn't make a difference.

Couldn't possibly agree with this sentiment enough. People who don't vote are seriously the worst, especially if they have the gall to moan about it afterwards. If you didn't vote, you have no right to complain about the state of politics. And don't give me that "oh but the system is rigged and all the politicians are corrupt blah blah blah", screw that. If you don't vote, you obviously don't care, and you're an asshole.

The Brexit thing is another one that needs addressing, I know a lot of people who voted out for very valid reasons other than petty nationalism and "tkin bak r borders lelelel", hell I almost voted out myself. We can't pin the blame on other people for voting differently (although there are morons out there who are holding us back as a species by encouraging racism), if there is a fault (and there is), it is the lack of a functional and fair political and social system which serves only to strengthen the neo-liberal elite and keep the 99% of us pinned down through austerity, discrimination, scapegoating, lack of a fair electoral system, etc etc etc.

However, bending our necks before right wing populists (read: scumbags) is not the answer to this. This election draws many parallels to Germany in 1933. People were sick and tired of the same old rubbish, so they voted in the guy who found an easy, acceptable target to blame their troubles on, after that all hell broke loose.

That's how dangerous scapegoating is, and being from Northern Ireland, I have first hand experience of what it's like. Every form of government we've had since 1922 has actively encouraged scapegoating, segregation and sectarianism so that ordinary working class people are distracted from what the real problems by blaming "themuns". Because of this, not an iota of progress has been made in this country since 1998, when the Good Friday Agreement was signed, and we now have our so-called "peace".

There is a lot of bitter people in this world, and with good reason. But we have to do this properly by uniting against the what the real problem is, which is not our working class brothers and sisters from all around the globe but the neo-liberal elite and a political class which has given up on morality and simply pursues popularity and power at all costs. It's just a shame that the US election only had the choice between just that.
MBKF1 said:

Reading this annoys me since I can't vote but wanted to. Pete's sake what's the point in a democracy if people don't take it seriously.
Mexicola said:
MBKF1 said:

Couldn't possibly agree with this sentiment enough. People who don't vote are seriously the worst, especially if they have the gall to moan about it afterwards. If you didn't vote, you have no right to complain about the state of politics. And don't give me that "oh but the system is rigged and all the politicians are corrupt blah blah blah", screw that. If you don't vote, you obviously don't care, and you're an asshole.

The Brexit thing is another one that needs addressing, I know a lot of people who voted out for very valid reasons other than petty nationalism and "tkin bak r borders lelelel", hell I almost voted out myself. We can't pin the blame on other people for voting differently (although there are morons out there who are holding us back as a species by encouraging racism), if there is a fault (and there is), it is the lack of a functional and fair political and social system which serves only to strengthen the neo-liberal elite and keep the 99% of us pinned down through austerity, discrimination, scapegoating, lack of a fair electoral system, etc etc etc.

However, bending our necks before right wing populists (read: scumbags) is not the answer to this. This election draws many parallels to Germany in 1933. People were sick and tired of the same old rubbish, so they voted in the guy who found an easy, acceptable target to blame their troubles on, after that all hell broke loose.

That's how dangerous scapegoating is, and being from Northern Ireland, I have first hand experience of what it's like. Every form of government we've had since 1922 has actively encouraged scapegoating, segregation and sectarianism so that ordinary working class people are distracted from what the real problems by blaming "themuns". Because of this, not an iota of progress has been made in this country since 1998, when the Good Friday Agreement was signed, and we now have our so-called "peace".

There is a lot of bitter people in this world, and with good reason. But we have to do this properly by uniting against the what the real problem is, which is not our working class brothers and sisters from all around the globe but the neo-liberal elite and a political class which has given up on morality and simply pursues popularity and power at all costs. It's just a shame that the US election only had the choice between just that.
I agree with everything in this. In the EU referendum, a lot of the North East didn't vote leave because it wanted to vote leave. It voted in protest to the Tories as it provided the chance to do something different.

People are fed up - constant austerity that hits the hardest, constant broken promises from all the parties, crap economy and constant ignoring of anywhere further north than Leeds by the government. Sadly, it's always the nationalistic attitudes that prevail and that is what terrifies me the most. UKIP, Trump, the EU referendum, it's all come from frustration and it's bloody terrifying.

I read today that the KKK are planning a "victory march" in North Carolina. The last thing we need now is yet more hatred and racism in the world - particularly with ISIS, the refugee crisis and hatred that's arising from it in Europe. We're all humans, let's get on with it and make the world work.

Man it feels so awesome to see you guys here after all these years :D I see my old buddy Fez still hasn't changed a shade :p How are ya all? Obviously I have been very  very busy for these two years, college and project work dried me up completely. On top of that, I will become corporate Rohan from next week :D I have a job as a software engineer, I got it from my college placements mid last year, first company and first placed student :D It's been two crazy years guys, from the worst of breakups to the untimely death of my grandfathers, dad suffering a heart attack(he is fine though), granny having hernia, consecutive best projects and above all, my friends and my family who have brought me back on my feet again :) I can write an entire essay lol but am very happy to talk to you guys :) 
Ron666 said:
I can write an entire essay lol
I'm sure you probably will ;)

Sorry to hear about your grandfathers though, both mine have passed too and it's sad knowing they aren't there any more. But I can't wait to hear about your breakup, that'll be an interesting story! Each time I watch Deadpool and Dopinder comes on screen he reminds me of you :p
Ron666 said:

Sorry to hear about your grandfathers though, both mine have passed too and it's sad knowing they aren't there any more. But I can't wait to hear about your breakup, that'll be an interesting story! Each time I watch Deadpool and Dopinder comes on screen he reminds me of you :p
Beakup's the past mate, I have left it behind for good :) perhaps I can send you a message on facebook if that's good enough :) The pay package for my job is incredibly good by Indian standards, 2 months training, another 4 months probation. In between I will buy a motor bike and am planning on touring very often. I love biking and coding but yeah, I will miss my friends and family a lot as I will be going outstation for this job. Been sitting idle for 4 months ever since graduation, only sleeping and eating lol :p
Ron666 said:
Ron666 said:

Beakup's the past mate, I have left it behind for good :) perhaps I can send you a message on facebook if that's good enough :) The pay package for my job is incredibly good by Indian standards, 2 months training, another 4 months probation. In between I will buy a motor bike and am planning on touring very often. I love biking and coding but yeah, I will miss my friends and family a lot as I will be going outstation for this job. Been sitting idle for 4 months ever since graduation, only sleeping and eating lol :p
Nah don't worry about it dude, only need one question answering really, was it the same girl you were posting about before?

And what happened to your car? You had one of those Toyota Yaris with the X kinda design on the front before didn't you? Going on a bike is fun, but fuck that with the insane traffic you have over there :p You've been idle for 4 months yet only now deicde to come back to the forums? Lol, I don't think you've missed a lot, but Matt (@MBKF1) has an awesome memory for stuff that happens on the forums and I forget shit all the time ;)
Yup, it's the same girl Fez and a very long story.

That's not my car, that's dad's :p and it's a hyundai eon. As for bike, believe me, if you can ride in the streets of kolkata, you can literally ride anywhere on the planet lol. Been riding dad's scooty for 7 months, had an accident and am lucky to still have my legs and another time almost had my rear flown by an oncoming bus at over 70 kmph :p Actually, I was rehabing for 4 months under my friends and family supervision, extending my final sem project, learning more about java and web programming, touring on my scooty and trying to love myself again. And yeah, I have seen Matt's thread. Dear me, I almost shi*ed in my pants after seeing matt A's post about his and your wedding written by me years ago :p Really man, feeling so nostalgic here, how I wish if I could be young again and being a pain in everyone's a** :p :D 
  • UP100 pinned this topic
  • UP100 featured this topic