Jump to content Jump to content

Sadly many don't vote, they think they don't do politics as it doesn't affect them, but every part of life the government affect. Public transport, NHS, the price of a pint, fuel and so on. There are countries that would love to be able to vote, sadly in this country many take for granted.
Such a shame so many people don't bother to vote, it takes zero time out of your day, once every few years. I was literally in and out of the polling station within 20 seconds.
What a shocker for May, she got complacent, ran a poor campaign blighted with errors, and it's time for her to go.

I disagree with many of his policies, but Jeremy Corbyn must be commended on running a superb campaign. At the start of the election process I thought he had no chance, but he proved me wrong, so well done to him.

As someone who still stands by my decision to leave the EU, the Conservatives need a leader who believes in Brexit, and someone who did from the get go. I didn't want May to get the job last year, being a remainer, and she was not the right person to lead our negotiations. I really hope whoever replaces her (assuming she does step down, I hope she does) is a true Brexiteer with the passion to do it properly.

I swear Hollywood movies are gonna be made of the last couple of years of politics. What a rollercoaster, it's the script that keeps on giving.
 https://twitter.com/therealhughesy/status/873073968151879681

https://twitter.com/therealhughesy/status/873059194701729792

Ive just realised that the  Conservative  MP for Yeovil  follows me on Twitter, no idea why when I'm always negative towards them. 
That's because we live in a democracy, not a dictatorship  :p I think the way to get people more interested in voting is to get them more engaged in politics. People need to know all the things government can help them with, or make things worse. This time youth turn out was a lot higher which is great, but still so many people of all ages don't vote.
Do you have snags and cake stalls at your elections? Scientifically proven to increase turnout by 50 percent. @Matthew77258 will vouch for that.
More people focus on the Democracy Day Snags than the actual politics in Australia. You guys should try it...but with Scones and Tea. 

Also, it's beyond me why you wouldn't have compulsory voting in a 21st century first world democracy. 
One of the simplest ways to increase political participation is compulsory voting. That and getting rid of first-past-the-post.
Totally agree, more political education is required in schools as well to interest people. Mind, there is something seriously wrong with first past the post if the fifth largest party decides who becomes PM.
  • UP100 pinned this topic
  • UP100 featured this topic