Jump to content Jump to content

The Stuff Thread

Ron666

With the way some car users are these days, I wouldn't want to ride a bike.  :#

It's not too bad, just a small fracture, but thanks :) The only thing I can think of was when using my T500rs wheel in Rfactor 2, the FFB can be brutal at times. My bro came up with a different theory, which I can't repeat on here :joy: This is the 5th time I've broke this wrist, the rest were from skateboarding and doing 6ft high jumps on my BMX back in the day.

Whilst I was at Silverstone, I picked up a business card about placement opportunities at Mercedes for next year. Had a response to my email today and the placement sounds awesome!

Mechanical Engineering Undergraduate 12 month Placement Scheme:

Scheme Duration: 12 months

Start date:  Monday 3rd September 2018

Salary: £17,000pa + bonus and employee benefits, including company car lease scheme

Holiday entitlement: 36 days per annum

Rotation Plan: X2 6 month rotations from the following areas:

-        Test Engineering

-        Performance and Controls

-        Product Design Engineering

-        Product Validation

-        Programme Management

Gonna try everything I can to get a place!

Best of luck with that mate, sounds like a great opportunity!

I'm also in the process of applying for work experience (hopefully at an F1 related team / firm), albeit for marketing and advertising instead of engineering. Reckon I'm just gonna send off a bunch of Emails and hope some of them get to the right people!

MBKF1 said:
Best of luck with that mate, sounds like a great opportunity!

I'm also in the process of applying for work experience (hopefully at an F1 related team / firm), albeit for marketing and advertising instead of engineering. Reckon I'm just gonna send off a bunch of Emails and hope some of them get to the right people!
A couple of places do full internships with that sort of thing, I know Nissan do so maybe look at some car companies.

Having so much money saved, but not being able to spend it because it's going towards a 2017 VW Golf is annoying. I am excited to get it though, I'll also be paying extra to get the new digital dashboard, as not only does it look cool, you can also customise it and change the colours.

https://youtu.be/v_4Z-oe8oqc

Hughesy said:
Having so much money saved, but not being able to spend it because it's going towards a 2017 VW Golf is annoying. I am excited to get it though, I'll also be paying extra to get the new digital dashboard, as not only does it look cool, you can also customise it and change the colours.

https://youtu.be/v_4Z-oe8oqc

Telemetry too? :p

Can't believe this, 6 weeks ago I set myself a goal to lose a stone in weight by the end of the year (it's hard to lose weight when you can't exercise) 6 weeks later and I'm only 2lb from reaching my goal B) The only kinda physical exercise I've done is using my FFB wheel in Rfactor 2, F1 16 and Dirt 4 fractured arm and all, so in a way Codemasters helped me lose weight :joy:

Hughesy said:
Can't believe this, 6 weeks ago I set myself a goal to lose a stone in weight by the end of the year (it's hard to lose weight when you can't exercise) 6 weeks later and I'm only 2lb from reaching my goal B) The only kinda physical exercise I've done is using my FFB wheel in Rfactor 2, F1 16 and Dirt 4 fractured arm and all, so in a way Codemasters helped me lose weight :joy:
I wish this could work for me! I need to either lay off the cakes that my work brings in every day (not going to happen) or find time between writing, grading and being bored to tears in seminars to actually do some exercise.

I was always a fitness freak, I loved it, sadly going to fridge is about all I can handle now :joy:

You're going to increase my fuel consumption with all that timber  :D jk. Not long now until we go to Silverstone, I'm probably buying my ticket on Friday.

Haha, tell you what though, I'll be giving you less next year as by then you'll have a VW that doesn't have dodgy emissions software in it ;)

He might do, but I wouldn't be sure. I told him a few weeks back that I wanted to go climb a hill to see an old WWII fort at the top of it. He rang me yesterday morning and asked if I was up for going to do it. I'd just eaten a bunch of sweets though and was feeling lazy so I said no lol.

Finally figured out to fix my old iPhone 5s. My car doesn't support android phones via a cable, only Bluetooth. Two problems with that, 1: Audio quality isn't as good and also you can't use the cars touchscreen or wheel buttons to change songs. You can only do that via the phone, which you can't do whilst driving. The car has a cable for Apple devices so all that works, but my old iPhone 5s refused to turn on or charge, so for months I thought it was broken. Then I found out if I connect it to my PC, then open iTunes and then press certain button combinations on the phone it resets something. After that the phone started charging and turned on :D So now the phones sole purpose is a glorified iPod.

It's really stupid that VW only support Apple devices via USB when Android has a much bigger market share. For me audio quality was the main issue, some probably wouldn't notice the difference using Bluetooth, but it really pissed me off. Still when I get my new Golf in December it should have more features for Android.