Jump to content Jump to content

A very Merry Christmas to all around the world. As I get set to celebrate with my entire family beside me, I think of the rest of us in other countries who are not so fortunate, COVID has had a terrible effect on the world. I will raise a glass to all those missing out on being with their loved ones, seasons greetings from Australia!:classic_love:

• Like 2

Happy Christmas to you and your family too Kitty. Happy Christmas too to everyone else here.

My Finnish Christmas didn't happen this year because of the ban on travel that was applied on the UK on Monday. Flights were cancelled literally hours before we were due to go to the airport 😔

At the end of the day though, I am here with my wife and kids and we are able to celebrate it together. Others haven't been as lucky as I am right now so I am grateful for that.

Let us all hope and pray that next year will give us some good times again and allow us to get back to some kind of normality. I think we deserve it.

Happy Christmas all xxx

• Like 2

Beginning the long trip home today, because of the COVID cluster in NSW we can't go back the same way we came. Cairns to Longreach, Longreach to Bridsville, Birdsville to Woomera and Woomera to Adelaide. An extra day, an extra 600km and an extra 4 hours flight time. We may not do the last leg as wifey says she might be too tired for a 4th leg and we can take the bus for that last bit and she will leave her plane at the RAAF base in Woomera and collect it later. 

Hope everyone had a good Christmas day! my highlight was my little 3 year old great nephew very shyly asking me if I was 'the didosaur fessor' while hiding behind his mums leg (my niece) and when my answer was yes his eyes lighting up and him jumping into my lap with his new dinosaur encyclopedia and spending the next hour looking at the pictures and talking about dinosaurs...what a cutie! 

Home at last, flying like that may be 'easier' than the whole airport/security/waiting malarkey but geez its not nearly as quick! My wife is exhausted too, me and my dog are feeling sick...lucky I'm able to relax and take it easy, wifey has 1 day off now, then she takes command of the squadron for 2 weeks! She won't admit it, even to me... but I know she's super nervous... I will barely see her now, she'll be working 12 hour days, leaving early and getting home late.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, UP100 said:

We have snow now! 😮 

Nice! The weather here is very mild, mid to high 20s mostly and a few days in the low 30s. A bit unusual for December, January is the hottest month statistically tho. No days above 40 for summer so far which is very strange (one day of 40.4 in late november), last summer we had 9 days above 40 (7 in Jan). The heat here is much better then where we were for chrissy, no humidity in Adelaide, our summer weather comes off the desert and is very dry!

Happy New Year guys 🙂 I'm not making it to midnight tonight so I'm a bit early but what the hey, you'll read this way before its 2021 in your timezones anyway!

This is my first new years night without booze in maybe 12-13 years! I'm very proud of going sober and for losing 16.8 kilos too! 2020 was an awful year for so many, lets hope 2021 is the turning of the tide. Best wishes!

• Like 2

Happy new year to you Kitty and everyone else here 🎉

On a personal note, I feel like I have become a better person this year. I have more of an appreciation of life and those around me and despite the **** we have endured, I'm the happiest and most content that I have been in years.

Looking forward to what the future holds!

• Like 2
8 hours ago, phil83 said:

Happy new year to you Kitty and everyone else here 🎉

On a personal note, I feel like I have become a better person this year. I have more of an appreciation of life and those around me and despite the **** we have endured, I'm the happiest and most content that I have been in years.

Looking forward to what the future holds!

Me too, I went through a bit of hell last year (last year sounds nice yay) and I've come out with a better understanding of myself and a greater appreciation of the great people in my life 🙂

Haha:classic_biggrin: Wifeys first day as acting SL, she told me she had to report to the Wing Commander (equiv to a colonel) a man she knows but not well, who always calls her by her rank or surname. So she knocks on his door and goes into his office and he smiles and says "hello Megan", now she thought she misheard him and said "pardon sir?' and he says 'now Megan for the next two weeks you're the SL so no need for sirs to everything, call me Ben' she admits she replied "yes sir' automatically and then stammered "Ben" and the WC just laughed. Then they had an informal chat/briefing and she got invited to the seniors officers mess for lunch, where she sat with two WCs and two other acting SLs and it was a very awkward meal! I am having a good laugh at her expense today:classic_laugh: I guess maybe you have to know her to find this funny, imagine a person who is never flustered and never outwardly shows any awkwardness or nerves (or much emotion at all) and described this experience akin to meeting a rock/movie star nerves. Haha imagine if she has to talk to the group captain (general) :classic_laugh:

Going to be hot here next week, mid to high 30s most of the week. I'm going to disappear from the city to my parents beach house:classic_cool: My wifey has another week as acting SL then she can come and join me for the week off she has after and before she heads for New Guinea for survival training. This week I got really bored and as the Paleontology lab is closed I had nothing to do, so I wrote a huge chunk of my colleague and I's proposal to excavate the Edicaran fossil site in the Gammon Ranges, the document is already 75,000 words and is about 1/3rd done (I consider this fun not work lol). 

1 hour ago, KittyFit90 said:

Going to be hot here next week, mid to high 30s most of the week. I'm going to disappear from the city to my parents beach house:classic_cool: My wifey has another week as acting SL then she can come and join me for the week off she has after and before she heads for New Guinea for survival training. This week I got really bored and as the Paleontology lab is closed I had nothing to do, so I wrote a huge chunk of my colleague and I's proposal to excavate the Edicaran fossil site in the Gammon Ranges, the document is already 75,000 words and is about 1/3rd done (I consider this fun not work lol). 

I wish there was a reaction for 😮 

I really love this place, so relaxing! Drive over went well (no cops lol), instead of getting bored and doing work I went for a walk on the beach and a swim...at the fish and chip shop the lady remembered me and said 'oh gosh you're half the size, look at you!" and she got her hubby to cook me an extra piece of fish for my order. Its cooler here as the wind blows off the sea constantly during summer :classic_cool:

12 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

8:20pm and still well over 30, its hot! Wind is blowing though and the sun is dropping, I'm sipping a Pepsi and eating a Mango and watching the sunset. I'm so chill:classic_cool:

Hope its not too cold in Europe!

I've been happily looking at the -5C temperatures, hoping that the city would start opening/making local ice rinks. Currently the only ones open are artificial ice rinks and there are usually around 200 people on them at once, making them incredibly annoying to try and play hockey on

Had a long walk today in the Helsinki central park. It kept snowing quite heavily the entire time, so I went and hid into the darker parts of the forest. My phone is certainly not meant for dark images, but this is the only photo I took 😁

dark.thumb.png.bd4857a1ae0d9d0732909f18916a0d30.png

• Like 1

Wifey otw... she finished up as acting SL this evening and is flying herself over before the sun goes down tonight (its a 4.5 hour drive here from the city but 20 minutes across the gulf by her small plane). I have to drive 1.5 hours to the larger nearby town to pick her up from the airstrip (ie a flat bit of dirt with some runway lights), looking forward to this, I've barely seen her for 2 weeks.

Her 35th is on Sunday, I'm going to buy a lobster and make some salad...while her gift isn't ready yet (come on Ford!) she can have her birthday surprise anyway. So glad I've lost a lot of weight, my old catholic school uniform fits perfectly lol:classic_wink:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, KittyFit90 said:

Wifey otw... she finished up as acting SL this evening and is flying herself over before the sun goes down tonight (its a 4.5 hour drive here from the city but 20 minutes across the gulf by her small plane). I have to drive 1.5 hours to the larger nearby town to pick her up from the airstrip (ie a flat bit of dirt with some runway lights), looking forward to this, I've barely seen her for 2 weeks.

Her 35th is on Sunday, I'm going to buy a lobster and make some salad...while her gift isn't ready yet (come on Ford!) she can have her birthday surprise anyway. So glad I've lost a lot of weight, my old catholic school uniform fits perfectly lol:classic_wink:

I became unsure if I'd want to like this post thanks to the last sentence 😁 

Also update on the snow thing: It's not stopping. It seems to be closer to 20-30cm a day here. It's also getting colder. Temperatures around -10C now which means they are freezing the local ice "rinks"! The trouble being that it's a bit hard to freeze them when there's 20cm of snow on top of the ice xP

Here are all the ice rinks in the Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa area. Red basically means that the icing has begun, with green meaning that you can skate on it. Gray is unknown (basically meaning that the work hasn't been started).

image.thumb.png.845c09533ec1d9ad970059d39bf7c945.png

There are quite a bit of them 😅

• Like 1

6am this morning i get shouted at "Its a lovely day, perfect for working out!' next thing I'm running sprints in the dunes and then I'm doing star jumps while these guys who were fishing are totally having a perv:classic_blink: Then we did a 20km hike in the national park then she made me do 200 stomach crunches and 100 push ups!!! Everything hurts...😫😓 I need sleep...

• Haha 1

Wifey gone now, she's off to New Guinea for survival training, apparently that means she will parachute into the New Guinea jungle with a few other pilots and they have to make their way to a pick up point 6-7 days later with only the stuff they would have if they got shot down and had to bail out. She was so looking forward to it.... to me it sounds like hell:classic_wacko: each to their own.

Saturday and Sunday going to be over 40 here, staying indoors 🙂 I'm gonna stay put here at the beach house for a few more weeks, I'm due back at work on the 15th of Feb, so no hurry! Hope all is well in Finland and elsewhere in Europe 🙂

Edited by KittyFit90